kayumanggi

Mission: Impossible - Fallout | July 27 2018 | Paramount | Reactions coming in | "Best action movie since Fury Road"

40 minutes ago, divinity83 said:

I feel like this movie will not open as big as Rogue Nation. Just seems to be an underrated franchise by audiences. I have tickets for Thursday night previews and the following night. I saw Rogue Nation 4 times opening weekend (but, never saw it again after that...I don't really watch movies at home).

Based on what the advance sales look like at my theater right now, I'm thinking $45M opening weekend.

I think the mad action elements will give it great WOM

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Like for Furiosa 3 years ago ?

🤔

3.4x legs is nothing to scoff at, not to mention Mission Impossible will be an easier pill to swallow for the GA in nearly every facet.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Like for Furiosa 3 years ago ?

🤔

Probably above Fury Road B+ cinemascore, in general but special in the US action does not work that much, you need emotion's above all and humors (and that what blockbuster do), the latest Mission Impossible bring a lot of that versus something that is more pure actionner like The Raid, Fury Road, Hardcore Henry.

But like mentioned, Fury Road for a franchise entry had nice legs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Probably above Fury Road B+ cinemascore, in general but special in the US action does not work that much, you need emotion's above all and humors (and that what blockbuster do), the latest Mission Impossible bring a lot of that versus something that is more pure actionner like The Raid, Fury Road, Hardcore Henry.

Do legs matter when you end at 150m and your movie is described by cinephalia-awards bodies-critics as the best action -blockbuster movie evah in the history of the medium since the original Ben-Hur (not the Charlton Heston one) ?

Should BOT members still compare legs for movies that start with a 257m OW and for other movies that start with 38m OW and everything in between ?

Some box office food for thought.

Edited by The Futurist

13 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Should BOT members still compare legs for movies that start with a 257m OW and for other movies that start with 38m OW and everything in between ?

About no one does.... Everyone call Dark Knight/Avenger legs great, while no one would use that word for a 38m OW having the same multi.

Giant opener being front loaded is pretty much a fully assimilated concept by now.

13 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

by cinephalia-awards bodies-critics as the best action -blockbuster movie evah in the history of the medium 

Avatar, Saving Private Ryan, Gravity, Return of the King (the lords of the rings in general) were more loved by many award body (like the Academy), but I must admit I have not followed the conversation at all, what is your point here ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

About no one does.... Everyone call Dark Knight/Avenger legs great, while no one would use that word for a 38m OW having the same multi.

Of course I took the extreme example, but even comparing the multis of a 170m opener and a 120-130m opener feels ludicrous to me and lots of members seem to do these comparisons more often than not.

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Of course I took the extreme example, but even comparing the multis of a 170m opener and a 120-130m opener feels ludicrous to me and lots of members seem to do these comparisons more often than not.

Lot of them do not look at the size of the legs in absolute numbers enough it is true, but at that level we could add release date there also (being often an has important factor than a 170 vs 130 OW).

8 hours ago, Barnack said:

FALLOUT especially brings a LOT, most since M:I-3. McQ balances that and the Fury Road-esque action momentum so well

6 hours ago, Barnack said:

Avatar, Saving Private Ryan, Gravity, Return of the King (the lords of the rings in general) were more loved by many award body (like the Academy), but I must admit I have not followed the conversation at all, what is your point here ?

He's referring to the truly high-brow awards/reviewers, not the more mainstream stuff like the Oscars and similar. The GA won't indeed give a crap about Fury Road getting the FIPRESCI award, but it's a pretty incredible achievement for a Hollywood blockbuster to win that. It's like Alabama voting a Democrat president.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, divinity83 said:

I feel like this movie will not open as big as Rogue Nation. Just seems to be an underrated franchise by audiences. I have tickets for Thursday night previews and the following night. I saw Rogue Nation 4 times opening weekend (but, never saw it again after that...I don't really watch movies at home).

Based on what the advance sales look like at my theater right now, I'm thinking $45M opening weekend.

Sadly I also have the same feeling. I loved Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation so I really hope I am wrong and this does well.

17 hours ago, antovolk said:

I think the mad action elements will give it great WOM

The two previous movies also had spectacular action set pieces. I think this one will increase over RN but I can't really go all in on it going WAAAAY above though.

On 7/14/2018 at 1:25 AM, Zakiyyah6 said:

Cruise was terrible in The Mummy. Nothing about that disaster was tolerable. 

It is one of the few, if only, movies where it seems Cruise phoned it in for the paycheck.

I also feel they(producers/screenwriters) made a mistake by having his character be morally gray at the start. A thief of antiquities, using the military as his cover is just not a strong starting point. 

His character ends up in a better place by movies end but...you're just glad it's over. You don't feel excited to really see the character ever again. 

There are some weird debates ongoing in here. Anyway, personally, I expect a DOM total just over/under $210M and a WW total just over/under $725M. The last two did pretty well and this one seems like it'll generate enough "gotta catch these stunts and action beats" on the big screen to at least match and very likely exceed the box office takes DOM/OS of Rogue Nation.

Not entirely certain why - outside of quality of action stunts in a summer blockbuster - Fury Road's being taken into consideration. It doesn't really apply to the box office here as the last two M:I flicks are already much bigger than it. Each grossed nearly double Fury Road WW. Weirder still, Rogue Nation already had a superior OW/DOM multiplier to Fury Road (3.51 > 3.39).

This isn't the dour Holocaust of the Planet of the Apes flick from last summer. From everything that's being said, this is likely the most fun M:I flick yet. People like spectacles done right. People like fun in the heart of the summer. And, people liked the last two M:I flicks globally. 

This is the kind of flick that usually universally excites the hell out this forum. Come on, not every movie needs to approach/exceed $1B WW.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 6

I think it bodes well that there's an ongoing relative lull in the box office with Ant-Man and Skyscraper not breaking out and Equalizer 2 unlikely to breakout. Hotel Transylvania is doing well enough and Mama Mia should break out but those two will rake in cash from completely different audiences. This is really the only action spectacle blockbuster this summer season that isn't a superhero flick. You could say Fallen Kingdom as well but that's kind of another animal altogether and really played liked a creature feature with pretty dull action beats.

What's the current tracking at for OW DOM? $60M? If so, I could see it doing just over/under $70M OW DOM if the hype builds properly. Until proven otherwise, the M:I franchise has shown impressive legs with Protocol and Nation. With that, well... That's why I see something like a $210M+ DOM total.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1