kayumanggi

Mission: Impossible - Fallout | July 27 2018 | Paramount | Reactions coming in | "Best action movie since Fury Road"

53 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

MI, Bourne, Bond and Mad Max were all new franchises once. When someone is so tied to a series, to continue it without them is a futile proposition from the start. Hell, we've seen it play out with The Bourne Legacy. 

Terminator without Arnold. Independence day/Bad Boy without Smith, Pirates without Depp,  there is a list of case that are not easy, MI being an obvious one.

But for something like Bourne, Damon less failure do show how safer it can be:

Worldwide (Unadjusted)

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / % Year
1 The Bourne Ultimatum Uni. $442.8 $227.5 51.4% $215.4 48.6% 2007
2 Jason Bourne Uni. $415.5 $162.4 39.1% $253.1 60.9% 2016
3 The Bourne Supremacy Uni. $288.5 $176.2 61.1% $112.3 38.9% 2004
4 The Bourne Legacy Uni. $276.1 $113.2 41% $162.9 59% 2012
5 The Bourne Identity Uni. $214.0 $121.7 56.8% $92.4 43.2% 2002

Bourne Identity made $273m 2012 dollar, Renner Bourne 276.1m

Better to create something new that can be built upon, except gather talented people to do it instead of doing a half-assed job

Was Edge of Tomorrow untalented half-assed job the reason it did 300m less than the established franchise Cruise Mission Impossible entry ? Or Jack Reacher (that was the same director/writer....) ?

People are concerned that MI won't last without Cruise but why should it?

Should probably not except if it give financier courage to give interesting budget to interesting director (pretty much the same for all movies after the first one or first 2) or if it is to be Cruise official directing debut ;),

I mean why should it last with Cruise ? What would be the answer to that ? Because they find a team and a rhythm that deliver good movies ? If that the reason they could continue without him as the lead star.

Edited by Barnack

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Was Edge of Tomorrow untalented half-assed job the reason it did 300m less than the established franchise Cruise Mission Impossible entry ? Or Jack Reacher (that was the same director/writer....) ?

I don't see why EOT is in this conversation. It was a great standalone sci-fi actioner that suffered from weak marketing and being released after Oblivion. It wasn't a non-VFX-driven action movie launching a franchise.

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I mean why should it last with Cruise ? What would be the answer to that ?

Because he's the main attraction?

EOT had some of the worst marketing ever. As evidenced by the fact that they changed the whole freakin' name of the film for home video. Just an absolute atrocity of marketing all around on WB's part, I legitimately hope lots of the people involved in it aren't in marketing anymore and have found a field they're actually good at. 

7 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I don't see why EOT is in this conversation. It was a great standalone sci-fi actioner that suffered from weak marketing and being released after Oblivion. It wasn't a non-VFX-driven action movie launching a franchise.

It is to show that (depending what you mean by better), that is not necessarily better to try to launch something new and they are rarely half hassed made by incompetent people even when they do not breakout. Look how well not trying to do something new like they did with Jumanji or IT went.

8 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Because he's the main attraction?

Mission Impossible musical theme, name, high concept are also attraction that would be why it could work better than trying to make something new if they ever do (for example turn it into a Rebecca Ferguson vehicle). They could make a marketing study that show too little interest in a Cruise less version (would not surprise me), but maybe not.

If anyone cares, finished my rewatch:

1. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation - 8/10

2. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - 8/10

3. Mission: Impossible III - 7/10

4. Mission: Impossible - 5/10

5. Mission: Impossible 2 - 2/10

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Blankments said:

If anyone cares, finished my rewatch:

1. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation - 8/10

2. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - 8/10

3. Mission: Impossible III - 7/10

4. Mission: Impossible - 5/10

5. Mission: Impossible 2 - 2/10

My rankings are similar.

1. MI5 - 9/10

2. MI4 - 8.9/10

3. MI3 - 8.5/10

4. MI1 - 6.5/10

5. MI2 - 3.5-4/10

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

EOT-man great movie. One of the best sci-fi films of all time. Too bad marketing screwed this one up.

EoT has the tightest screenplay from any big budget film in the last 10 years. The movie just moves. Maybe only Fury Road comes close.

It's really great, there's an emotional heft and weight to it that most of the others never manage to achieve for a majority of its runtime. I can definitely see where the Spectre/TDK comparisons come from, though it obviously manages to walk that tightrope much better than the former. And no, it's not some tie everything from the previous films into this one, but it is about examining the consequences of those actions. Everybody gets a piece of screentime to shine and rest assured, Rebecca Ferguson has a sizable role just in case people were worried.

Regarding the score, there's no less than 3 occasions where Lorne Balfe seemed to just use Gotham's Reckoning from TDKR and added in a couple notes from the MI theme. It's functional but nothing noteworthy or original at all.

• Like 6