kayumanggi

Mission: Impossible - Fallout | July 27 2018 | Paramount | Reactions coming in | "Best action movie since Fury Road"

LIstening to the score now

A shame this saga has so many problems with the soundtracks. Silvestri score for the first was rejected and Elfman replaced him with not many time to compose a new score.

Zimmer delivered two great themes for MI2, but there's nothing more.

Giacchino score for MI3 is formulaic and far from memorable.

Hard to remember pieces from Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation.

20 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

There's no excuse period for the score, but it's not surprising especially given that Balfe is a minion of Zimmer's. Balfe is probably one of my least liked film composer these days. I'm sure he's an okay enough guy, but he's basically the go to replacement composer if you want bland safe Zimmerish music that doesn't stand out.

It's even worse when you consider that Kraemer wasn't even told until late in the game that he wouldn't be returning, and then they replaced with him Balfe, simply because McQuarrie wanted the film to be like and sound like The Dark Knight, and that's only half the story if inside sources are to be believed.

BTW I listened to some of the score earlier. It's really bland monotonous stuff that just drags on and on, and the final track features Schifrin's classic theme backed up by epic choirs (if there's ever any theme that didn't need choirs, it's The Mission Impossible theme). :sick:

You speak as if Zimmer isn't the best in the business right now. I would hardly call it bland, interstellar arguably had the best score of the last 5 years

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i don't think Zimmer is bland he's good, but there's 100 other composers who are trying to do his shtick right now and they're all bland. not a decent one in the bunch.

Yeah, that's because half of them came from being his protoges/assistants over the years...  😁

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

It's crazy how all of this has turned around in Tom's favor. Paramount basically denied ever having knowledge of his existence back in 2006. Now, they should be counting their blessings that Tom is choosing to stick with them. Mission: Impossible is primed to be the true heir to Bond. I'm talking another twenty years. It will have its peaks and valleys, but I see it sticking around for awhile. I know people hate when I bring this up, but Tom's body will eventually reject these insane stunts. He will have to resume as owner and producer. Someone will replace him, whether it be as Ethan or someone else. I wonder who could ever replace him, though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

It's crazy how all of this has turned around in Tom's favor. Paramount basically denied ever having knowledge of his existence back in 2006. Now, they should be counting their blessings that Tom is choosing to stick with them. Mission: Impossible is primed to be the true heir to Bond. I'm talking another twenty years. It will have its peaks and valleys, but I see it sticking around for awhile. I know people hate when I bring this up, but Tom's body will eventually reject these insane stunts. He will have to resume as owner and producer. Someone will replace him, whether it be as Ethan or someone else. I wonder who could ever replace him, though.

I can only see this lasting as long as Tom is able to do stunts. The GA doesn’t really care about MI lore or story or anything, they just love that it’s a reliably good source of Tom Cruise stunts. He’s definitely about 90% of the draw. It’d be very hard to find a replacement that could live up.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ThePhasmid said:

I agree it will be hard without Cruise's magnetic presence, but you guys don't think this could be the "go to" series for directors who want to lay back and flex their craft in the action genre?

You don't really lay back on a movie with a nine-figure budget and a decades-old brand name on it. What you're talking about is better suited to a small, one-and-done thing, like what Haywire was for Soderbergh. 

7 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Why not just create new action franchises with their own potentially iconic protagonists. 

I imagine you are being a bit rhetorical here, very similar to why they do MI/Bourne/Bond/MadMax sequel instead of trying to do something new, to use the value of the brand / pre establish awareness / score and other series trope to help sell the movie. They do try to spawn new action franchise one in parallel a la John Wick/Black Panther/Guardian/Upgrade/Atomic Blonde/All you need is kill/tomorrow/repeat, etc... but it is riskier specially if you do not plug it in anything.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I imagine you are being a bit rhetorical here, very similar to why they do MI/Bourne/Bond/MadMax sequel instead of trying to do something new, to use the value of the brand / pre establish awareness / score and other series trope to help sell the movie. They do try to spawn new action franchise one in parallel a la John Wick/Black Panther/Guardian/Upgrade/Atomic Blonde/All you need is kill/tomorrow/repeat, etc... but it is riskier specially if you do not plug it in anything.

MI, Bourne, Bond and Mad Max were all new franchises once. People are concerned that MI won't last without Cruise but why should it? When someone is so tied to a series, to continue it without them is a futile proposition from the start. Hell, we've seen it play out with The Bourne Legacy. Better to create something new that can be built upon, except gather talented people to do it instead of doing a half-assed job. Bond is an exception here rather than the rule. And Mad Max is an even rarer case where the MVP of the franchise is the director rather than the star. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1