Asyulus

Weekend Actuals | Spy 29.09M, SA 25.84M, Ins3 22.69M, Ent 10.28M, MM 7.83M, PP2 7.57M, TL 7.2M, AoU 6.34M

Interesting weekend.  Melissa has her audience.  It's pretty consistent.  Not world beating, but consistent.   So those numbers though not amazing aren't too bad considering her brand and budget for the film.  San Andreas a little over 50% drop, not too bad should end up around 135-145 which will be biggest for the Rock as a lead.   Being that you know they didn't spend a lot on "Insidious 3", it's a win no matter what it makes, so 23 Million is definitely good.  Should do less than Part 2 but more than Part 1 Dom.  

"Entourage", Hey let's be honest.  It was a glorified Episode from the show, but didn't try to be anything else.  Only hardcore fans were going to turnout.   They only spent about 30 and I'm sure it will make that back in the long run.   Honestly they probably could saved more and just made it a movie straight to HBO but it will be on HBO soon so it's a win, win.  Mad Max just keep moving along, over 3x Multiplier.  Very solid run.  

"Entourage", Hey let's be honest.  It was a glorified Episode from the show, but didn't try to be anything else.  Only hardcore fans were going to turnout.   They only spent about 30 and I'm sure it will make that back in the long run.   Honestly they probably could saved more and just made it a movie straight to HBO but it will be on HBO soon so it's a win, win.  Mad Max just keep moving along, over 3x Multiplier.  Very solid run.  

Which was also one of the biggest problems with the X-Files 2 movie. It's not that the story wasn't interesting it's that it wasn't cinematic. The other problem I felt was that the two films don't feel like that thematically fit side-by-side. 

At least Entourage had that first X-Files film to it, in that it flowed more from the series even if it also wasn't very cinematic. 

Does any movie in Portugal not bomb?

Fast 7 was seen by 830000 people in theaters so it did fine. Same with Fifty Shades which sold 500000 tickets. Mad Max is doing good numbers as well, and has beaten Godzilla and Rise of an Empire over here. Insurgent, Cinderella, Home, Insurgent (saw a massive jump from the first movie), Paddington, Focus, Kingsman, American Sniper, The Theory of Everything, Taken 3, Spongebob, Still Alice, The Water Diviner, Jupiter Ascending (did better numbers here than Godzilla or Edge of Tomorrow), Avengers: Age of Ultron (was still able to sell more tickets than the first after the lower 5 day OW) all performed very well too. Tons of movies that did not bomb. 2015 is far above 2014 in the same point (21% above, to be exact).

Tomorrowland and Pitch Perfect 2 bombing dramatically in the last two weeks has thrown box office to the shitter. Spy barely opened above The Heat and Identity Thief, McCarthy isn't a draw here which didn't help. Jurassic World totally needs to save the June box office, and needs to keep the damn year stable (San Andreas, Inside Out and Ted 2 are also coming). July looks like absolute crap until near the end but hopefully August will get us back on track.

Edited by CJohn

Some ridiculous declarative statements in this thread. "You're crazy if you think that movie will make that", etc.

Here's a true one: If you paid money to see Entourage, just know you are THAT DOUCHE everybody is making fun of at social gatherings. Know that.

Edited by RichWS

In fact, as big a Pixar fan as I am, I am actually giving IO the skip as the advertising has not appealed to me at all. you're not a fan if you're skipping one of their movies. The stellar reviews should be enough to convince you, even if the advertising didn't appeal to you. Just saying ;)
No, there's no "just saying" about it. A true Pixar fan knows that their marketing has never been all that great and that it should never be the sole thing that sways your decision to see or not see a certain movie And, heck. If you're a film buff it should never be the case with any movie Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

No, this post is stupid.

Anyone who thinks GOTG was an easy sell to the general audience is a moron.

It was a far easier sell them Antman. It was fresh. A bunch of asshole outlaws coming together to help save the planet where you're not even sure if they're good or not is original. Another comic book movie where the hero tries to save the day is not.

I have to agree with Krissykins on this one.

GOTG wasn't that easy of a sell, and let's be honest....nobody thought that film would do $333M DOM.

But that film got there through WOM.

And that's one factor we have to keep in mind about Ant-Man too.....WOM. If it's good..it will have legs..and people will see it again.

Uh no, it got there thanks to its huge OW and WOM. If it opened at 50m it wouldn't have even come close. The marketing sold the movie to the GA. This is not the case of Antman.