K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

It's not? It's 100% true, he's the biggest star in the world. You think great gatsby or wolf do anywhere near their business without him? What about Chris Pratt rising star for JP, GOTG? Star power used correctly is EVERYTHING.

Key part of the quote.

No, it's not quite like the old days where Brad Pitt or Stallone or Schwarzenegger could yawn and generate worldwide biz (and buzz). But at the same time, when you're making a sequel to an extremely popular movie and the main star isn't back, there's just not gonna be the same hype or excitement as there would've been.

INDY 4 without Harrison Ford doesn't come close to 300m, for example.

• Like 9

It's not? It's 100% true, he's the biggest star in the world. You think great gatsby or wolf do anywhere near their business without him? What about Chris Pratt rising star for JP, GOTG? Star power used correctly is EVERYTHING.

Look at gravity. That would never have made the money it did without star power bullock and clooney (though bullock was the main draw).

Di Caprio is more the exception and even then it's because of how choosy he is. It's not like he would've made Aloha a success either.

Would've done better than it did, can promise you that. Probably would've been a better film too, no reason to think otherwise. The project just sucked overall, why it got the release it did.

• Like 1

ALOHA's just a weird comparison to begin with. It has a lot of big names, but it's an ensemble piece and no single actor is the headliner. Plus it's a lower budget movie aimed at an older audience -- I'm not quite sure why it's being used as a comparison for tentpole movies.

At least with the DiCaprio examples, you have a single primary actor (also a producer) who's one of the driving forces in actually getting a movie made... and then getting it to deliver a solid gross.

• Like 2

ALOHA's just a weird comparison to begin with. It has a lot of big names, but it's an ensemble piece and no single actor is the headliner. Plus it's a lower budget movie aimed at an older audience -- I'm not quite sure why it's being used as a comparison for tentpole movies.

At least with the DiCaprio examples, you have a single primary actor (also a producer) who's one of the driving forces in actually getting a movie made... and then getting it to deliver a solid gross.

Aloha is just a weird failure that I'm sure most involved want to forget it ever happened haha. Filming in tropical locations & getting paid sounds alright to me.

• Like 2

Of course I'm not saying it's not important. It's just been far more important at other points, look at the 90's and earlier. Not, as you claim, more important than ever. Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 1

Di Caprio is more the exception and even then it's because of how choosy he is. It's not like he would've made Aloha a success either.

Not exactly comparable. Cooper has a bunch of enseble hits and one solo hit. Di Caprio has been the draw in hard sell movies for years, of course his Aloha would have been much bigger even if it was bad

My six year old niece is watching the original Jurassic Park for the first time right now, and she's presently screaming in terror and hiding behind me during the raptors/kitchen chase scene. It is pretty fuckin intense for a little-kid, but just the right amount of intensity for someone growing up and easing into live-action movies, I feel. And it should play very well for kids over the weekend.

I don't know if there are unwritten rules in Hollywood but NOT remaking Jaws should be one of them.

I dont know where everyone is getting this reboot nonsense from. I said sequel, in the same vein as JW.

• Like 1

I don't know if there are unwritten rules in Hollywood but NOT remaking Jaws should be one of them.

Yeah it shouldn't be a "Remake", it just should be a direct sequel.   Do it like "Jurassic World" and have it take place years later on the same timeline.   A new cast of characters having to take on Jaws as he terrorizes a new beach.