K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

Exactly, so if anything, if this is a sign that an old franchise can reach the height it once had, expect SW to have three weekends over $75M.

Or dare to dream bigger... Maybe three $100 million weekends!

(Okay, highly unlikely, but that would be absolutely fucking astonishing)

I've been up since 3AM and it's 1230 here...I so need sleep but this is so much fun right now.

I know what you're saying; I've been running on so little sleep all week and I'm sleeping in a lot tomorrow... I'm exhausted but this right here... this is good stuff.

• Like 1

No one's villainizing you for anything. Your reasoning was a bit dubious, but whatever, we all have our ways of estimating. What I find bizarre is your steady downplaying of the numbers (using the lowest of the estimates, using weak multipliers, etc) all through the day, even saying you were hoping the movie wouldn't beat MJ2 because you were worried it might be sexist -- in other words, you were prejudging it and spinning the numbers as negatively as you could. But you suddenly proclaim that you should get credit for accurately predicting the highest of the numbers?... All along you've done nothing of the sort.

As a counterpoint to your approach, people like Grim similarly put out a fairly low OW prediction when the Thurs night numbers came out, but he steadily adjusted his predictions upwards as the new information came in.

There's nothing wrong with being wrong about predicting an OW or having a movie over/under-perform beyond your wildest expectations. What's confusing is the seeming lack of self-reflection in what you're actually posting.

first of all like i explained twice my reasoning for being worried has NOTHING to do with mj2. i literally said, no i'm not worried about mj2, i'm worried about a movie that might be sexist making a lot of money.

second of all, there's not a lot of need for self-reflection. i've made like 10 posts in this thread total and read them all back before making this post. the only prediction i posted was 140-200. after that i kept getting asked how 140 could happen and i explained how. this all occurred AFTER rth's 5pm pst prediction (71-75) and BEFORE his 8pm pst (76-79). there was no "steady uptick" it was one single data point and as soon as the higher numbers came in i reminded everyone i had also said that they could go up (200) instead of down (140). excuse me if i didn't do it 100% politely

• Like 1

RT doesn't show a good representation of reactions.  Many people are loving it, especially the general audience.  My theater absolutely dug, lots of laughs, claps, and applause at the end.  It's getting very good reception.

What people don't understand is, that for movies like JW, a movie board like us is unimportant.

JW now looks like the movie, people visit after not having seen a theater for a couple of years and they definetely won't talk about character development or sexism afterwards, but about having a great time and that's what happens here and that's what happend with movies like Transformers 2, that a called the biggest stinkers ever over here. But it just doesn't matter. Movies like those are just bigger than that.

• Like 2

I remember Jurassic Park was one of the very first movies where I followed it's boxoffice run. I would grab the paper from my dad every Wednesday morning and look through the news paper for the weekly boxoffice report as well as read the boxoffice articles in Entertainment Weekly every time we went to the grocery store.

Good times!

Was the weekly on Wednesday? I just remember the weekend report in the paper on Tuesday.