115 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Bing Bong's song has been stuck in my head all day which amuses me because it reminds me of the gum gag

(I've also gotten briefly sad everytime I hear it in my head; pretty sure that scene will slay me every single time)

• Like 2

Hmmmm...... A- for my initial reaction. Halfway through it, I was more admiring it than loving it, but the feels got there in the end.

edit: LAVA was great. I absolutely loved it.

So when is Tele jr. going to want to play hockey?

Bing Bong's song has been stuck in my head all day which amuses me because it reminds me of the gum gag

(I've also gotten briefly sad everytime I hear it in my head; pretty sure that scene will slay me every single time)

It has been my head all day. 

Edited by North Stars

I saw this with my seven year old and we left after about an hour. I don't think he disliked it but I could tell he was bored. I asked if he wanted to leave and he said yes. He laughed a few times but I thought the majority of the story was aimed at an older audience. Of the part that I saw, I thought it was just okay. It had some nice bits of humor. The story was fine. I just didn't care much for any of the characters other than Bing Bong and the mother.

I didn't like the short. It was too silly/cheesy for my tastes.

This was one of my top 5 most anticipated movies of the summer. I couldn't wait to see how they handled these ideas after seeing the trailer. After seeing the movie though, it's really good but it fails to live up to Pixars best for me. 

It all went downhill for me during the 2nd act right when Bing Bong showed up. I was fully engrossed up until that point although questioning some of the many massive ideas at play here. And there are a ton and this movie gets major points from me for being so original. It's not really a kids story though. Like there are some seriously complex themes here like the view on depression near the end which was spot on. I honestly wish it would have followed Riley around more then over a span of just a few days.

Maybe Bing Bong didn't connect with me since I never had an imaginary friend as a kid. I grew up with toys just like Andy in Toy Story. I kind of thought his character should have represented imagination rather then just be a rouge cotton candy creature roaming around Rileys brain. It would have worked better had she been younger. But she's 11. Most kids nowadays have long forgot about imaginary friends by that period and are engrossed in their iphones. 

His story arc wasn't new ground. The metaphor of letting go of childhood and growing up was done a lot better in Toy Story 3. You knew those characters for three movies not a character that was just on screen for about 15-20 minutes. It was also done better in Toy Story 2 with Jessies song. His inclusion just felt unnecessary and there to get to a forced emotional moment. 

That's another problem I had with the plot. Once Joy & Sadness got launched out of the control tower it became the same Pixar journey that we have seen before in characters getting lost and having to find their way back to resolve things. 

I wanted to see more of Riley and for the progressions of her emotions to happen over a longer period of time. It almost felt rushed for a 90 minute movie. And most of that to me had to due with the second act being devoted to the inclusion of Bing Bong. When he first got taken after the dream sequence I was hoping he'd stay down there but then they had to go and rescue him. I'm glad this character worked for others here but I feel like the movie could have been a lot deeper had they left him out. So yes when the big emotional moment came I didn't care that much because in real life he probably would have long been forgotten anyway. I don't think there was any emotional moment as strong as the opening montage in UP or the end of Toy Story 3 in the entire movie.

I think I get the characters sadness though. He was grabbing onto memories so that he could latch himself in to stay with her I guess. But I think this would have been more effective if Riley had been like 7 or 8. 

Besides that I really liked it. I liked the end sequence that showed all the various characters and their own set of control characters even though some of the traits were cliche. I also liked how by the end, it explained how the emotions could be that way in the parents panel even though the emotions all had their own personalities in Rileys head. 

I also liked the end message on not to bottle up sadness and thats why she kept having the urge to touch all the other memories. But even that message wasn't that clear and I'm sure flew right over a lot of kids heads. 

With all that said, there's so much to like that it's hard to fault it.  It's one of the most original films I've seen in awhile and definitely warrants a rewatch but I'll wait for Bluray. I'm not sure if it's going to hit home with kids in the long run due to the adult oriented themes at play.

Edited by somebody85

Top-tier Pixar, for sure. A great return to form, and the movie we've been wanting to see from them since we were leaving the theater for TS3. I admired Brave and enjoyed MU but they both left a lot to be desired when compared to Pixar's past streak, and this was exactly what I hoped.

A- for now. Lots of fun, and now I'm definitely looking forward to The Good Dinosaur.

• Like 2

Top-tier Pixar, for sure. A great return to form, and the movie we've been wanting to see from them since we were leaving the theater for TS3. I admired Brave and enjoyed MU but they both left a lot to be desired when compared to Pixar's past streak, and this was exactly what I hoped.

A- for now. Lots of fun, and now I'm definitely looking forward to The Good Dinosaur.

This is the best year for me as a lover of movies and a box-office enthusiast.

• Like 1

I just rewatched it, with the original audio, man, the movie got so much better. Almost TOP 5 Pixar material for me. Joy's character development is just perfect.  The sequences during the credits had me loling so hard.

Forget it Jack, It's Cloudtown. 95/100

Edited by Goffe

Man, Giacchino is on fire this year, Tomorrowland, Jurassic World, Jupiter Asceding and now IO.

from 0:50 to 1:00 is just orgasmicly awesome.

He might replace Zimmer as my favorite composer if he keep up with the great work

EDIT: damn, he will score 2 more films this year.

Edited by Goffe

REALLY good movie. Was (obviously) very emotional. I was surprised by how adult it was though. Even by Pixar standards. I'd barely even consider it a kid's film. The only thing really kids-related about it was it's very colourful visuals.

• Like 1

Something I saw discussed on twitter - is Riley gay or maybe bisexual? She has both male and female emotions in her head, when we see the dad, mom, bus driver and the boy she bumps into at the end, they only have either male or female emotional representations. Does this imply anything or is it just in service of the overall story?

• Like 1

Something I saw discussed on twitter - is Riley gay or maybe bisexual? She has both male and female emotions in her head, when we see the dad, mom, bus driver and the boy she bumps into at the end, they only have either male or female emotional representations. Does this imply anything or is it just in service of the overall story?
I recall in the end credits sequence they showed other people with mixed gender emotions, so I'm not sure if I just missed the others having them or if they really did that intentionally. Regardless it does hold more weight than the shallow basis for Merida being one. Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

I just took it as Riley hasn't gone through puberty yet, so she hasn't actively identified as strongly as a female as others might, whereas the boy she met was already going through puberty. Could be otherwise though IDK

• Like 2