115 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Something I saw discussed on twitter - is Riley gay or maybe bisexual? She has both male and female emotions in her head, when we see the dad, mom, bus driver and the boy she bumps into at the end, they only have either male or female emotional representations. Does this imply anything or is it just in service of the overall story?

I saw a quote on imdb from I believe Pete Doctor that said they didn't feel the need to change the gender in the parents heads and thought it would be fine to leave them all as male or female, and to not think too much into it. So it's probably the same with all the other characters at the end too. This was not Pixars social commentary on Transgenders like some are believing.

Here it is:

Q: What was the thought process behind the genders of the emotions? 

Pete Docter: "Again, it was intuitive. It felt to me like Anger's very masculine, I don't know why. And then some of it came to casting... Sadness felt a little more feminine and Mindy Kahling as Disgust felt right. And someone balanced too. Plus the female roles lead because it's inside a girl. With mom and dad, we skewed them all male and all female for a quick read, because you have to understand where we are, which is a little phony but hopefully people don't mind!" 

http://www.empireonline.com/empireblogs/empire-states/post/p1463 

• Like 1

Well, that... sucks. I'm wishing I hadn't read that because it pretty much confirms all of my misgivings about the casting choices before the release. I'll forgive them but I sure hope they put some more thought into decisions like that in the future.

Edited by tribefan695

So.... better than INTERSTELLAR?

Sorry, Pink.

It's certainly better put together.

Honestly, I was more in love with this from a conceptual level rather than enjoying the story, but it's so delightfully infectious it's hard not to be won over by its charm. The first 15 minutes might have been my favorite parts of the movie.

• Like 4

This movie will fly over the head of most kids.

I mean seriously, what was Pixar thinking ?

This is easily their most layered, complex, profound, creative, ambitious, abstract movie ever but it s almost too much.

I really can t believe they did such a movie.

I d like to see a young kid explaining to me what was inside Riley s head, Joy s journey, Sadness', he probably would answer me by making Minions noises to hide his confusion.

This is not a kid movie at all besides the bright colors and funny looking characters.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

This movie will fly over the head of most kids.

I mean seriously, what was Pixar thinking ?

This is easily their most layered, complex, profound, creative, ambitious, abstract movie ever but it s almost too much.

I really can t believe they did such a movie.

I d like to see a young kid explaining to me what was inside Riley s head, Joy s journey, Sadness', he probably would answer me by making Minions noises to hide his confusion.

This is not a kid movie at all besides the bright colors and funny looking characters.

Lol it's not that complicated

• Like 1

Yeah, a lot of this movie will speak much more to adults than to children. At my showing there were a few things that the kids in the audience had no reaction to while the adults reacted very audibly (especially gags like the recurring gum commercial joke).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Lol it's not that complicated

Yeah, what happens in the different areas of the brains, conscious, subconscious, dreams, train of thought, emotions, creativity of thought ( the surreal phase) it s very easy to grasp, so easy that people struggle with all these things until they die.

Kids discuss this all the time between their PS4, minions, Barbie, clothing, Transformers, toys, tv, taylor swift, one direction discussions.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

Wow. I had very high expectations for this movie after the reviews and all of my friends recommending it and it truly delivers. It's one of the best animated films ever made and it is definetely one of Pixar's best. I may not be an 11 year old girl but I related so damn much. The whole world created by Pixar is truly spectacular and proves that Pixar will always be king when it comes to quality of animated movies. I loved the premise so much that I was imagining how a college student's emotions and memories would work after the movie finished. I will definetely see it again. 

A

• Like 1

Inside Out is the rare animated flick that caters more to the parents than it does the children (I'd say don't bring younger children to see it, they got very restless, distracted, and confused at times and it was distracting to others.  There's lots of bright colors, but so much of it will go straight over a younger child's head).  It's one of the only movies that ever had me laughing and tearing up at the same time, and is an emotional roller coaster (which is great considering it's a movie about emotions).  It is a bundle of contemplation, imagination, depression, hilarity, and joy.  When the movie ended I sat there wanting more, in the best way possible, which is very rare from me.  For an adult watcher it is never bores you, always has something to process, and is one of (if not) the most creative and original films I have seen this decade.

It will take a number of re-watches (which will happen for me) in order for me to determine how it ranks among the Pixar films for me, but it's up there among the very best, and in time I could see it passing Wall-E as my second favorite, or even a slight chance it might tie with Finding Nemo as my favorite.  I just need more time to digest it.

Inside Out is a perfect combination of well-crafted art, originality and entertainment. A+

However I do warn again that this isn't a movie for young children.  This may be the most adult oriented, non-South Park/Family Guy/Simpsons type of mainstream animated movie I have seen.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

Time for me to give a real review now that I've seen it myself:

The film's narrative strengths are its beginning and ending. Everything leading up to Joy and Sadness getting sucked out is just amazing, but because there's very little real stakes for an abstract concept as a physical character, the "adventure" portion of the film feels kind of forced, like it's mostly an excuse for the animators to show off some cool production design. It's diverting enough but I'd be lying if I said I felt really invested in Joy's goal to get back to headquarters. I wouldn't blame my cousin if this was the point he lost interest.

The thing about this though is that the concept is so original and ambitious for a big budget kids movie that it's hard to really fault Pete Docter much for making a concession to conventionality, and everything else about the film works absolutely perfectly. I did get a little misty-eyed at the ending this time (the one benefit to having to wear glasses for 3D). It probably will never be my favorite Pixar film but it's definitely an honorable addition to their canon.

A-

Also, the Pizza girl did have a male emotion at the end. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

I feel like the "adventure" felt a lot more forced in Up. I do find it interesting upon more examination how similar the character arca between Carl ans Joy are.

Well, "adventure" was the main theme of that film. You could argue that the whole dog + Muntz thing was unnecessary but Carl trying to get to Paradise Falls seemed like a pretty logical next step for him.

For the record, I do think this is a better film than Up as it's more focused and has a more relatable storyline. 

Well, "adventure" was the main theme of that film. You could argue that the whole dog + Muntz thing was unnecessary but Carl trying to get to Paradise Falls seemed like a pretty logical next step for him.

For the record, I do think this is a better film than Up as it's more focused and has a more relatable storyline.

I still think it worked within Inside Out because it does symbolize the idea of our emotiona becoming buried deeply in our minds, but we subconsciously try to bring the feelings we missed back into our lives. A lot of the film can be explained in these terms, IMO.

• Like 1

I still think it worked within Inside Out because it does symbolize the idea of our emotiona becoming buried deeply in our minds, but we subconsciously try to bring the feelings we missed back into our lives. A lot of the film can be explained in these terms, IMO.

Yeah, I was thinking of that as I was watching the film, but it just kind of feels overdone. Joy and Sadness never really feel in danger of being "forgotten", and the joke about Fear "quitting" kind of neuters any possible tension one could feel from an emotion being in physical peril. I did really like Joy's epiphany seeing all the forgotten "happy" memories among the sad core memory.

Edited by tribefan695