Asyulus

CIVIL WAR OS | $744M OS | $1.15B WW

Wow! Already at $645M OS for Captain America 3. And now at nearly $941M WW.

This franchise is acting similarly to the Toy Story-franchise, in terms of box office.

A profitably successful first film around $370M WW. Second one gets a gradual increase to $714M WW. And now with this 3rd one nearing the $1B-mark....it's a groundbreaking feat.

All thanks to great quality. There is no other franchise to compare the CA-franchise to, in terms of how they increase in grosses.

Civil War is dialogue-heavy. That's where most of the important story moments lie, that's where the heart of the emotions lie.

International releases are dubbed. Dubbed movies lose much of the original's emotional performances. I know what I'm talking about, we have dubbing here (which I've been avoiding like the plague for a few years). Movies that perform over expectations here are typically movies which are easy to follow (explain everything to the audience), have flashy action sequences, and have a rather simplistic story. Civil War might have gotten a bit too complicated/overcrowded for dubbed GA.

My friends who went to see it in dubbed French didn't like it. My friends who went to see it in English loved it. 

I am absolutely not surprised here.

Dubbing sucks hard balls is what I'm saying. :apocalypse:

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Wow! Already at $645M OS for Captain America 3. And now at nearly $941M WW.

This franchise is acting similarly to the Toy Story-franchise, in terms of box office.

A profitably successful first film around $370M WW. Second one gets a gradual increase to $714M WW. And now with this 3rd one nearing the $1B-mark....it's a groundbreaking feat.

All thanks to great quality. There is no other franchise to compare the CA-franchise to, in terms of how they increase in grosses.

Not true. Without the popularity that Captain America gained through the Avengers films and without the Avengers playing in the film itself, this franchise would have never had such big increases.

• Like 2

Just now, IMojammer said:

You think so? Low end to me seems like 790 overseas 425 domestic.

IM3 opened with $198.4 million. CW opened with $200.4 million. IM3 ended this weekend with a $664.1 million cume (coming off an $89.3 million weekend) while CW ended this weekend with $645 million (coming off an $84.9 million weekend). It lost over $20 million when compared to IM3 over these past three weekends and is going to face massive competition next week (another superhero movie). $1.2B isn't gone just yet, but it's getting less and less likely every day.  My current prediction is $780 million OS, $423 million DOM, $1.203 million WW (below IM3 I'm afraid).

$1.3B on the other hand is totally gone, that's for sure.

Edited by Agafin
  • Like 1

Just now, John Marston said:

This is is an Avengers movie regardless of what it is called

No : Thor and Hulk aren't there, it's Captain-centric and it's the direct sequel of The Winter Soldier from a storyline point of view with Bucky.

It's a CA movie with some Avengers elements in it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bladels said:

The only reason I can think of explain why this is dropping so hard is GA love Iron Man and this is a pro-Cap movie that can make some feel I dont know wrong?

Don't think so, Iron Man quite lost some fans with IM3 that was very divisive..........

13 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

No : Thor and Hulk aren't there, it's Captain-centric and it's the direct sequel of The Winter Soldier from a storyline point of view with Bucky.

It's a CA movie with some Avengers elements in it.

yeah, please stop. The movie is budgeted and marketed exactly like an Avengers movie.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Agafin said:

IM3 opened with $198.4 million. CW opened with $200.4 million. IM3 ended this weekend with a $664.1 million cume (coming off an $89.3 million weekend) while CW ended this weekend with $645 million (coming off an $84.9 million weekend). It lost over $20 million when compared to IM3 over these past three weekends and is going to face massive competition next week (another superhero movie). $1.2B isn't gone just yet, but it's getting less and less likely every day.  My current prediction is $780 million OS, $423 million DOM, $1.203 million WW (below IM3 I'm afraid).

$1.3B on the other hand is totally gone, that's for sure.

Yeah I suppose I'm still expecting it to level off somewhat.  It will be very curious if it doesn't.  

This is a Cap movie pretending to be Avengers, but expecting to perform like Avengers. If this movie fails to perform like Avengers, people will say it should perform like a Cap movie. However, how can a movie ( featuring Spidey, Iron Man, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Vision, War Machine  ) perform like a "Cap movie"?

Besides, the budget is 250 million + who knows how much was spent for marketing and promotion ( yes, we should also consider that number too..Everyone talked about BVS and even included money spent for marketing, which means CW also should be considered for that discussion ).

In a nutshell; This is an Avengers movie pretending to be a Cap movie, expecting to perform like Avengers and not like a Cap movie. That's all. :)

Just now, IMojammer said:

Yeah I suppose I'm still expecting it to level off somewhat.  It will be very curious if it doesn't.  

Don't forget that 40% of its gross this weekend came from China and it's going to loose it entirely in two weeks irrespective of how much money it could still have done there (due to the 30 day rule). That really tends to f*ck up OS late legs.

Even after considering the fact that major of last week's gross came from china the drop doesn't really get much better. China dropped from 96 to 32. Subtracting that we get a weekend of 52m coming from a 121m weekend. Thats a 57% drop instead of 61.3% but still pretty bad :( 

CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR
The Disney/Marvel superhero pic planted an $84.2M flag in international markets this weekend. In Europe and Latin America, the drop was 51% with strong holds including Austria (-19%), Switzerland (-20%), the Netherlands (-27%), Sweden (-34%), Germany (-35%), the UK (-45%) and Brazil (-42%). In the latter, Anthony and Joe Russo’s CACW has now been the No. 1 movie for three weeks running. It was also No. 1 again in the UK, France and Italy.

Asia as a region is closing in on $400M. After 10 days, China is now at an estimated cume of $155.8M, making it the 3rd highest grossing Disney release there ever, behind only Zootopia and Ultron. Cap3 is also No. 1 again in Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan.

Behind China and Korea, the major territories are the UK ($46.7M), Mexico ($39.2M) and Brazil ($32.9M).

In IMAX plays, CACW grossed $10.9M for the weekend to engage a $63.7M cume. International was $6M on 576 screens for a $39.5M cume.

Source: Deadline.com

• Like 3