Asyulus

CIVIL WAR OS | $744M OS | $1.15B WW

2 hours ago, Elessar said:

Mainland Europe is the last bastion of folk who haven't fallen for Marvel hype. I don't get the hype either. Masterpieces these movies are not, far from it.

True how many big blockbusters are that good really...

7 hours ago, Sam said:

From what I see up to now, Europe has never been good to Marvel, excluding the UK. MCU movies' performance overall in Europe ranked from decent to outright bad.

Even the biggest hit OS The Avengers got its great success mostly attributed to Asia and South America. 

Europe hasn't been as good as the rest of the world to american made CB characters regardless of brand bar the UK.

I think CB characters and by extension, even some fictional characters have a very national ou regional identity in Europe.

A movie about a european CB character like Tintin or Asterix may easily outgross any CBM with an american made characters in a majority of european markets because they are part of the european culture and are likely to have been more exposed generation after generation.

Same with Harry Potter who is much more bigger in Europe than in the US.

Removing IM from the equation because Downey charisma trump everything, Thor movies usually do better in Europe than CA ones whereas, CA does better than him in Asia but mainly in South America.

I believe Thor Norse mythology resonates better with the european historical culture.

Also, let's not pretend that there isn't a sense of contempt that still exist in certain circles of the european intelligencia who considers every US made big productions as junk food and inferior products.  

CBM are just at the forefront right now and get the blame but that sentiment has always existed in Europe for big US made productions.

I think that it is changing, especially among the younger generation whos live in a more international world where data circulate quicker and cultural difference tend to gradually disappear.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

We're not superior at all, most successful local movies here in France are crappy and when a few of them manage to be fine they're not necessarily a success :ph34r:

Amen to that. I will never understand how the f some of our local movies managed to be so successful like Bronzes 3 or Taxi 2. Many other movies on the other hand should have been more successful in my country or in Europe, like the masterpiece Spirited Away.

2 hours ago, Max said:

Amen to that. I will never understand how the f some of our local movies managed to be so successful like Bronzes 3 or Taxi 2. Many other movies on the other hand should have been more successful in my country or in Europe, like the masterpiece Spirited Away.

That so true.

Personally, i think that european cinema as a whole has lost much of its luster and is basicly dying.

Europeans are very skilled with auteur movies and personally, i think old movies were so much better.

The italian cinema that produced gems that were sold all over Europe doesn't exist anymore while the spanish one seems to maintain itself a little better.   Old french movies were the best, including in the comedy genre that are now particularly lame and often too vulgar for my taste.

I also wish there were more german movies released here in Belgium instead of just the french and american productions.  

I remember a few years ago, i entered a theater in my hometwon, Brussels, without really knowing the movie i picked based on the synopsis : i watched my first and last finnish movie...one of the greatest cinematic experience.

Here in Brussels, movies are often projected in their original version with french and dutch subtitles and i was so surprised and glad to be exposed to a movie from a scandinavian country.  You get bits of another culture, the language, the tonal voice...one of the best movie i have ever seen.  

I just wish there were more european cinematic projects at theaters.  

Living in a country with three official languages, in the capital of Europe where most Belgians are fluent in at least three or four languages, in a city where the minimal TV package includes channels in french, dutch, german, italian, spanish, greek, english, portuguese and this as long as i remember while not having their counterpart movies available at theaters is weird to me.

• Like 2

@Ent You are so right, French movies tend to be vulgar and lame nowadays. I am not even watching them anymore except if the critics are really excellent. Production companies hire famous actors and actresses in the hope to attract more people but it doesn't make a good movie if there is not a good plot.

You aroused my curiosity, may I ask what is the name of this Finnish movie please?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Because the definition of maturity is watching a dork wave a wand at a witch high school or some midgets and walking trees try to throw a ring in a lava pit or a slurring pirate battle someone with a squid face.

All those are way more mature and relevant than an ideological battle between freedom and security. :P

rw8NX.gif

• Like 3

18 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Because the definition of maturity is watching a dork wave a wand at a witch high school or some midgets and walking trees try to throw a ring in a lava pit or a slurring pirate battle someone with a squid face.

All those are way more mature and relevant than an ideological battle between freedom and security. :P

Ah... the three franchises that dominated the '00s. I'm really enjoying the superhero era but the fantasy/adventure era of the '00s was my favorite. I'd never change it for anything.

Cume through Wed: $550.7M

Wed gross: $19.1M

It surpassed Deadpool WW gross today. It may move ahead of TJB tomorrow.

It also surpassed BvS and The Mermaid OS. It will be #1 OS and WW by Sunday for 2016.

Edited by Quigley
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Potter and Rings franchises are better than Marvel or DC (superheroes in general) as a whole tbh. I'm happy that no Marvel movie has beaten Potter OS yet. :lol:

20 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Not me, I loved it and people around me felt the same. When it comes to action there's nothing better than CW :)

Guys, stop this crap about Europe not being fan of Marvel. These numbers are good, and while they're not out of this world it's really rare to see huge numbers there these last few years, it's a problem going beyond Marvel or heroes : it's a continent with a declining workforce, a pretty old population, a high unemployment rate and that had to go through harsh times economically, it's similar to Japan in some way.

Spectre and SW7 did ~$400m and $630m+ just last year (with poorer FX rates) in Europe. There's nothing wrong with Europe. Europeans just don't like superheroes. They're the reason why there hasn't been a $1b OS SH movie as of yet. And that's fine, only  Cameron can produce movies that are hits everywhere.

Edited by Agafin

The superhero movies I really loved are Spider Man 1 (2002), and particularly Spider Man 2 (2004). Maybe I enjoyed these two movies because I was younger, or because there weren't toooo many superhero movies like today. Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy are quite good as well, I enjoyed their off-the-wall humour.

Civil War is doing pretty well at the Chinese BO. It looks like it's doing even better than Zootopia when I compare the figures on Box Office Mojo.

11 hours ago, Agafin said:

Potter and Rings franchises are better than Marvel or DC (superheroes in general) as a whole tbh. I'm happy that no Marvel movie has beaten Potter OS yet. :lol:

Spectre and SW7 did ~$400m and $630m+ just last year (with poorer FX rates) in Europe. There's nothing wrong with Europe. Europeans just don't like superheroes. They're the reason why there hasn't been a $1b OS SH movie as of yet. And that's fine, only  Cameron can produce movies that are hits everywhere.

What about Jurassic World, Furious 7 & Star Wars: The Force Awakens? :lol:

They're the ones that DID beat Harry Potter: DH2, OS-wise...those weren't superheroes...and they all made over $1B OS. :)

14 hours ago, Max said:

The superhero movies I really loved are Spider Man 1 (2002), and particularly Spider Man 2 (2004). Maybe I enjoyed these two movies because I was younger, or because there weren't toooo many superhero movies like today. Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy are quite good as well, I enjoyed their off-the-wall humour.

Civil War is doing pretty well at the Chinese BO. It looks like it's doing even better than Zootopia when I compare the figures on Box Office Mojo.

CW has zero chance of beating Zootopia in China now