Asyulus

CIVIL WAR OS | $744M OS | $1.15B WW

Some country totals up to Tuesday (10/5), as per Mojo. Europe doesn't seem to be particularly in love with Marvel these days.

$112,100,000 China

$  55,000,000 South Korea

$  41,400,000 United Kingdom

$  35,600,000 Mexico

$  27,100,000 Brazil

$  20,600,000 Japan

$  18,500,000 Australia

$  17,100,000 France

$  14,400,000 Germany

$  13,200,000 Taiwan

$  12,800,000 Hong Kong

$  12,600,000 Philippines

$  10,500,000 Thailand

• Like 1

From what I see up to now, Europe has never been good to Marvel, excluding the UK. MCU movies' performance overall in Europe ranked from decent to outright bad.

Even the biggest hit OS The Avengers got its great success mostly attributed to Asia and South America. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sam said:

From what I see up to now, Europe has never been good to Marvel, excluding the UK. MCU movies' performance overall in Europe ranked from decent to outright bad.

Even the biggest hit OS The Avengers got its great success mostly attributed to Asia and South America. 

it's always be that way,but some people treats the so so number like disaster

3 hours ago, Sam said:

Mainland Europe is the last bastion of folk who haven't fallen for Marvel hype. I don't get the hype either. Masterpieces these movies are not, far from it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Mainland Europe is the last bastion of folk who haven't fallen for Marvel hype. I don't get the hype either. Masterpieces these movies are not, far from it.

Same for me. I watched the CW with two other friends, and we didn't really get the hype either. I suppose I am getting bored with all the super hero movies.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Max said:

Same for me. I watched the CW with two other friends, and we didn't really get the hype either. I suppose I am getting bored with all the super hero movies.

Not me, I loved it and people around me felt the same. When it comes to action there's nothing better than CW :)

Guys, stop this crap about Europe not being fan of Marvel. These numbers are good, and while they're not out of this world it's really rare to see huge numbers there these last few years, it's a problem going beyond Marvel or heroes : it's a continent with a declining workforce, a pretty old population, a high unemployment rate and that had to go through harsh times economically, it's similar to Japan in some way.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Elessar said:

You might be on to something, Marvel is for the kiddies. And as you said, Europe is more mature.

Not for the kiddies, that doesn't fit what I saw. When I watch CW I saw just one kid, almost all of the cinema was full of 20-something like me and 30-something. There are teens and kids watching these movies of course, particularly The Avengers.

Now the problem is you don't see many people older than 35 and not many women apart from the ones going with their boyfriend. Alas, people under 35 are not a growing category and women are a major part of them. With an older and more feminine audience Europe is not the best place for Marvel...Still, it's very successful among the targeted audience.

And as I said the economy has been tough here, Spain and Italy's movie markets collapsed for example, before rebounding a bit, it's not the best place and the right time.

Considering all that these are good numbers.

The US and many emerging markets are a much better fit demographically and economically speaking.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

You guys wet yourselves over Alice in Wonderland and shit so don't act so superior lol.

We're not superior at all, most successful local movies here in France are crappy and when a few of them manage to be fine they're not necessarily a success :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

You might be on to something, Marvel is for the kiddies. And as you said, Europe is more mature.

Because the definition of maturity is watching a dork wave a wand at a witch high school or some midgets and walking trees try to throw a ring in a lava pit or a slurring pirate battle someone with a squid face.

All those are way more mature and relevant than an ideological battle between freedom and security. :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

Not me, I loved it and people around me felt the same. When it comes to action there's nothing better than CW :)

Guys, stop this crap about Europe not being fan of Marvel. These numbers are good, and while they're not out of this world it's really rare to see huge numbers there these last few years, it's a problem going beyond Marvel or heroes : it's a continent with a declining workforce, a pretty old population, a high unemployment rate and that had to go through harsh times economically, it's similar to Japan in some way.

Actually, Europe has been doing just fine in terms of box office. If there has been one thing that has hurt Europe, it's the Dollar getting stronger and stronger, which makes the totals appear smaller than they actually are in local currency.

Beyond that, it's just that superhero-movies as a whole aren't of particular interest to the average public. Even the most successful ones have been merely solid hits. If you take Germany as an example, three million admissions is the mark for a blockbuster (you get a "goldene Leindwand" once you reach that mark), the really successful movies over the last few years have been between 6 and 9 million admissions. If you look at superhero-movies, you have Spiderman (2002) with slightly above 5, and Spiderman 2 & 3 with slightly above 3. Dark Knight Rises managed slightly above 3, with Dark Knight being slightly below it. These are the biggest superhero/comic movies you can find*, and apart from the first Spiderman they aren't / won't be part of the top 50 for the decade. Even those movies generally found themselves only at the bottom of the yearly top 10. Everything else either does 1+ or 2+ if they are more well known. That's solid, but quite far away from the best movies. Just as a comparison, last year there was TFA with ~9 million admissions, Spectre with 7, Minions with almost 7, and Fifty Shades of Grey, FF7, JW and Mockingjay 2 with 4-4.5 million. Plus a local comedy at around 7.7. Age of Ultron only finished in 11th place for the year, with 2.4 million, which was more successful than most of these movies.

* unless you count Men in Black and Hancock, which aren't really known as comics here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

Not for the kiddies, that doesn't fit what I saw. When I watch CW I saw just one kid, almost all of the cinema was full of 20-something like me and 30-something. There are teens and kids watching these movies of course, particularly The Avengers.

Now the problem is you don't see many people older than 35 and not many women apart from the ones going with their boyfriend. Alas, people under 35 are not a growing category and women are a major part of them. With an older and more feminine audience Europe is not the best place for Marvel...Still, it's very successful among the targeted audience.

And as I said the economy has been tough here, Spain and Italy's movie markets collapsed for example, before rebounding a bit, it's not the best place and the right time.

Considering all that these are good numbers.

The US and many emerging markets are a much better fit demographically and economically speaking.