AndyLL

Wednesday Actuals: Jurassic World 9.44M | Inside Out 9.37M

EOT lost 677 of its 3,212 theaters (over 21%) that Friday.

All the other comparable films lost theaters too.

This is actually the most generous comparison I could find. Movies don't jump very high this weekend historically. 

WOW that's a hell of a theater increase for IO. 

• Like 2

Inside Out is definitely taking #1 this weekend. Last week, showings were all full and spill overs went to Jurassic World, thus increasing JW's intake. Inside Out had 3946 theaters vs Jurassic World's 4291. With that many theaters, IO is still matching JW's weekdays. This week IO has 4132 vs JW's 4196.

• Like 1

Not every Inside Out showing was full, my bad. I suspect some theaters had full IO showings, and spill overs went to Jurassic World. Theaters are front loaded for new popular films on opening weekend. Jurassic World, with that many theaters counts last weekend, was bound to receive some of that spillover.

• Like 1

Not every Inside Out showing was full, my bad. I suspect some theaters had full IO showings, and spill overs went to Jurassic World. Theaters are front loaded for new popular films on opening weekend. Jurassic World, with that many theaters counts last weekend, was bound to receive some of that spillover.

Inside Out benefited plenty from Jurassic World sellouts.

• Like 2

Inside Out is definitely taking #1 this weekend. Last week, showings were all full and spill overs went to Jurassic World, thus increasing JW's intake. Inside Out had 3946 theaters vs Jurassic World's 4291. With that many theaters, IO is still matching JW's weekdays. This week IO has 4132 vs JW's 4196.

LOL what?

JW made over $16 million more than IO and absolutely crushed it on Saturday and Sunday.

• Like 1

:lol:  :lol:

LOL what?

JW made over $16 million more than IO and absolutely crushed it on Saturday and Sunday.

Please stop trying to make a point by using facts.

Since every single showing of IO was sold out l;ast weekend, the $16M difference would have gone to IO.  :P  ;)

• Like 3

The more I think about it, the more I realize Inside Out is not a movie for kids; they'll enjoy it, but the best jokes and emotional resonance are for older audiences. It's gonna be an interesting run to track, in case that wasn't obvious.

I'm a little out of the loop here. Is IO on track for 350M?

Not exactly. If it follows Wall-E's trajectory at the box office for example it could end up at 320m. Depends on how much it falls this weekend.

Edited by Insidearcher
  • Like 1

Not exactly. If it follows Wall-E's trajectory at the box office for example it could end up at 320m. Depends on how much it falls this weekend. 

True test will be drop against Minions. That drop could give it great late legs or plummet like Monsters against Despicable Me 2.

I'd put the range in 310-350m.

• Like 1

The more I think about it, the more I realize Inside Out is not a movie for kids; they'll enjoy it, but the best jokes and emotional resonance are for older audiences. It's gonna be an interesting run to track, in case that wasn't obvious.

I think for that reason, it may not die when Minions opens. It should have enough adult appeal to carry it through. WOM is crazy good among the people I talk to. It's definitley one of the most mature animated blockbusters there is.

• Like 1

I'm a little out of the loop here. Is IO on track for 350M?

Depends slightly on this weekend. If it gets close to 55m then its gonna slide past 340m and end close to 350. If it falls below 50m then 320m will be the more plausible total.

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 2