baumer

Weekend Thread JW 54.2M, hits 500 | IO 52M | pg 99

I guess if you're Universal, you just have to laugh at the Ted 2 letdown and swim in the pile of money you've made from a bunch of other movies this year. And they've got Minions soon too.

I'm pretty sure Ted 2 will do very well on home video just like the first. There won't be a Ted 3, but Universal will be happy selling the "Ted Party Pack" with both movies like how they now coax you into purchasing Ghostbusters 2 along with 1.

This up there with How to Train Your Dragon 2 as far as sequel decrease head scratchers

Neither is surprising. HTTYD2 was released the same weekend as another sequel (22 Jump Street), and Ted's novelty had worn off long after the film had been released, hence the sequel decreasing. 

Based on this logic, how do you explain the less than 30% second Saturday jumps of so many other June Pixar openers?

There was no logic to that statement :lol:

Toy Story 3 was facing Grown Ups in its second weekend, which had some family appeal. Cars 2 had Zookeeper (much less extent, but still more family power than Max). Brave didn't face any family competition but Ted and Magic Mike both pulled in big numbers on its second weekend. Not to mention it was basically running up against Madagascar 3.

Inside Out does have Jurassic World to face as competition. But from what I've seen working at the movie theatre in my town, the only "families" seeing JW are dads and their sons. Inside Out is killing it in family appeal (although they are neck and neck in terms of overall attendance).

Neither is surprising. HTTYD2 was released the same weekend as another sequel (22 Jump Street), and Ted's novelty had worn off long after the film had been released, hence the sequel decreasing.

I don't known how much 22JS effected HTTYD2...

Ted is loved by the people (I've legitimately never heard someone say they dislike Ted and Most people I known rave about how good it is) Ted's failure is perplexing in every degree. the marketing was hilarious to ( The F. Scott Fitzgerald and “and that's our first impression" jokes that the trailers used were killer.

Ted 2 dipped into Spy's business a little this weekend. Hopefully it returns to sub 30% drops from now on.

Even then, 50% drops from now on and it still hits $100m+ so $100m is definitely locked, phew. After the second weekend I was scared.

Just out of curiosity, do you not look at previous years and previous movies in their second weekend to see and make comparisons? If you had done that you would see that it was pretty normal for it to fall north of 40 percent in a second weekend. When we make extrapolations its not cuz we guess and those guesses make us smart it's because you look at movies from the past and make a judgment based on that.

• Like 3