Mojoguy

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals: IO 29.77, JW 29.24, TG 27.02, | IO Wins Weekend!

What were WB expectations? Even taken on its own, MMXL is gonna be a solid hit.

Doubling your budget in five days is a solid achievement. Less impressive when your predecessor did it in a matter of hours, but hey, money's money. 

• Like 2

I honestly thought Magic Mike 2 could do about $60m-$70m over 5 days a week ago. I thought it was still quite fresh and popular amongst women, it appears I was wrong. Big flop! Less than $15m 3 day weekend is bad! What's the budget for the film? Can't find it anywhere. Guessing they spent a bit on marketting as it seems it's been more advertised than Terminator.

MMXXL budget is only $14 million, only $7 million was spent on marketing.

So it's nowhere near a flop. It's going to make a good profit for the studio.

You can't expect that a R-rated movie geared only toward adult women to make blockbuster box office numbers.

That's why the budget was low.

The media expected to much from this movie because the first one over perform.

But like Ted 2 the novelty has wored off. Both MM and Ted should have came with sequels last year, three may have been to long.

Edited by ClaudeManhattan

People say three years is too long for a sequel, when I always remember sequels taking about three years on average. Why is it that people keep saying that sequels need to come out after two years to be successful? Does everything really move faster now?

• Like 1

MMXXL budget is only $14 million, only $7 million was spent on marketing.

So it's nowhere near a flop. It's going to make a good profit for the studio.

You can't expect that a R-rated movie geared only toward adult women to make blockbuster box office numbers.

That's why the budget was low.

The media expected to much from this movie because the first one over perform.

But like Ted 2 the novelty has wored off. Both MM and Ted should have came with sequels last year, three may have been to long.

I am sorry but your 7m figure is wrong, to release a movie, any movie, wide in the us cost much,much more.

• Like 1

That's really not so bad. Weren't estimates saying $50 million anyway?

Paramount expectations were 55 million for over five days. So it would end up 10 million below expectations. But the movie has had some solid holds just to be there. Considering it opened slightly below Magic Mike XXL. It's still going to need good holds over the next week to put it in a position where it should be, due to such a poor opening. Right now it looks like it will end up making 95-100 million domestically. But if it could somehow get to around 120 million it would look a lot better for the film. For that to happen though it would have to gross 30-35 million over the next week.

Edited by gb0708

Paramount expectations were 55 million for over five days. So it would end up 10 million below expectations. But the movie has had some solid holds just to be there. Considering it opened slightly below Magic Mike XXL. It's still going to need good holds over the next week to put it in a position where it should be, due to such a poor opening. Right now it looks like it will end up making 95-100 million domestically. But if it could somehow get to around 120 million it would look a lot better for the film. For that to happen though it would have to gross 30-35 million over the next week.

I just hope it passes $100 million. I never expected it to beat Salvation but it definitley needs to make at least $100 million.

• Like 2

The first one was a hit no doubt. But thats not the point. If XXL made only 1m ww as franchise it would made 160m with a cost around 60m that still a hit. But it doesnt change the fact that the sequel is doing poorly compared to its predecessor and WB expectations.

Man WB did not expect the original MM to make nowhere near what it did. WB was able to spend a little more on XXL cause of the original overperfomed.  They kept the budget in the check sequel, it's all icing on the cake if you look at it.   Again I showed you the other "Stripper" movies didn't perform that great.    WB could very well greenlight Magic Mike XXXL, spend about 14 million again and it could turn a profit.  

Edited by filmscholar

Who really honestly thought Magic Mike 2 would get close to the original or beat it?

Even if WB was expecting 50m, it has always been unrealistic to expect it to outgross the first. Very similar to Ted 2. It's just how much both actually will fall, but it's great because why did either of these need a sequel?