Mojoguy

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals: IO 29.77, JW 29.24, TG 27.02, | IO Wins Weekend!

Why do you guys keep saying this?

RTH gave us actuals.

I thought RTH has never given us Actuals. Doesn't he give us estimates that are usually close to Actuals? He never gives us an exact figure that I can recall. I could be wrong.

I thought RTH has never given us Actuals. Doesn't he give us estimates that are usually close to Actuals? He never gives us an exact figure that I can recall. I could be wrong.

He posted those numbers really late.  If he had posted them at 1AM, then maybe, they could be different, but he posted them late.  IO has won the weekend.

• Like 1

Maybe the fat record will fall next week: Alice 2 & X-Men Apocalypse could reach it

Alice 2 ain't making Fat numbers, at least domestic. Unlike its predecessor, no 3D novelty going for it, no Disney fairytale live action novelty going for it and worst of all, people are over Depp.

I think so. :)

If one of those movies end up #2....then i think the MBFGW record will be broken.

Something like this is really possible

Apocalypse :

OW: 110

Dom: 255

Alice 2:

Ow : 85

Dom: 250

2nd we:

TMNT : 65

Alice : 45

Apocalypse : 40

• Like 1

Alice 2 ain't making Fat numbers, at least domestic. Unlike its predecessor, no 3D novelty going for it, no Disney fairytale live action novelty going for it and worst of all, people are over Depp.

We have to keep in mind about the first AIW. While the film wasn't that good....it wasn't that bad either. It was more of a mixed bag.

But OS could still help Alice 2. China's markets have grown rapidly and the chinese audience starts to see Disney live-action fantasies more often. Japan could still deliver very impressive numbers...cause they usually go for that stuff.

And i disagree about Johnny Depp being that disposable...He still has a bit of respect from people...he just picked some very small & weak movies to star in.

We have to keep in mind about the first AIW. While the film wasn't that good....it wasn't that bad either. It was more of a mixed bag.

But OS could still help Alice 2. China's markets have grown rapidly and the chinese audience starts to see Disney live-action fantasies more often. Japan could still deliver very impressive numbers...cause they usually go for that stuff.

And i disagree about Johnny Depp being that disposable...He still has a bit of respect from people...he just picked some very small & weak movies to star in.

AiW2 is definitely going to do well overseas, but domestically it'll have a gigantic drop from the first IMO.

• Like 1

Movie will make profit thanks to OS of course, but I don't see it making 241.4M DOM (MBFGW's number). As I said in my previous post, the 3D and live action remake of a Disney animated classic were really novel concepts back in early 2010 (Remember that it was the first 3D movie after Avatar). Those concepts aren't shiny and new now. And Depp was unarguably still at the peak of his popularity in early 2010. The marketplace is too crowded next summer. Apocalypse will temper its opening and then TMNT will really hurt its legs. It would be incredibly lucky to reach 200M.

Edited by Spidey Freak

With this much marketing, Minions really should be doing $100m+ next weekend.

Yup. Jurassic and Inside Out had their well deserved time in the box office spotlight. Minions, Ant-Man, Pixels and Rouge Nation will are gonna steal that light from through the rest of July. Should be fun.

Movie will make profit thanks to OS of course, but I don't see it making 241.4M DOM (MBFGW's number). As I said in my previous post, the 3D and live action remake of a Disney animated classic were really novel concepts back in early 2010 (Remember that it was the first 3D movie after Avatar). Those concepts aren't shiny and new now. And Depp was unarguably still at the peak of his popularity in early 2010. The marketplace is too crowded next summer. Apocalypse will temper its opening and then TMNT will really hurt its legs. It would be incredibly lucky to reach 200M.

True....but some of those Disney live action remakes still did well, even if they didn't get close to Alice 1.

We saw that with Maleficent last year with $241M DOM and $758 WW.

Even Cinderella now at $539M WW.

I could say that even if does drop DOM-wise....OS will clean this up.

My guess is $220-235 DOM and $735 OS. Decrease DOM but increase OS a bit.

But honestly...i think they should have picked a safer release date.

It's really weird seeing JW fans up in arms about a number. It's made 5 billion dollars, who cares if it didn't win the weekend.

i'm far from a JW fan. like i said before i didnt even like the movie.. but i wanted it to win simply because IO would get into record books with that! now that IO wins it run will be overly forgotten by the next years..

edit: never hit #1 320m total > 320m normal run

Edited by Mike Wazowski