#ED

Wednesday Actuals: IO - 5M, JW - 3.7M

Titanic got a 3d re-release to get #2

If we're going to play the "what if" game, it would be kinda odd that if Cameron didn't top Titanic with Avatar, Titanic would've actually stay unbeatable even to this point. No Avatar - no 3D fever - no 3D boost for TA1 and JW - no passing-600m for TA1 and JW.

• Like 2

I assume JW beating Titanic will cause a lot of talkabout's in this forum, such as admissions, whether it deserves, etc.... :ph34r:

And a headline on BOM "JW sinks Titanic"

Just saw a TV spot for Trainwreck which said "Trainwreck has one of the highest scores ever on Rotten Tomatoes". Never seen a TV spot proclaim the RT rating before.

IO internet ads were proclaiming the certified fresh RT label. I guess it's a thing now.

Edited by goldenstate5

If we're going to play the "what if" game, it would be kinda odd that if Cameron didn't top Titanic with Avatar, Titanic would've actually stay unbeatable even to this point. No Avatar - no 3D fever - no 3D boost for TA1 and JW - no passing-600m for TA1 and JW.

2 of the biggest beneficiaries of 3D fevr were HTTYD1 and Alice in Wonderland, both releasing in March as Avatar had slowed down in Feb (went out of top 5 for the 1st time in March). To me that explains HTTYD2 grossing lower than expected.

• Like 1

Guys Titanic's gross is an arbitrary #, I don't think anyone particularly cares about $655m vs how memorable the run was being #1 for 16 weeks, being #1 movie domestic by a wide margin for a while in the rise of steady price inflation. We all know JW won't really beat it. it's an adjusted domestic total that bears very little overall significance other than holy shit that's insane for JW being compared toTitanic on any level.

Edited by GiantCALBears
  • Like 3

Guys Titanic's gross is an arbitrary #

If we use the inflation card, Gone With The WInd will NEVER be beaten. Inflation arguments are always crap. <_<

The only fair comparisons are movies that are released a few years from each other. So compare 90s movies to 90s movies. 2010 movies to 2010 movies.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

well back then people did not have home theater setups that rival movie theaters either, many factors

Those things don't account for 17 years of inflation. It's like saying JW would have crossed 1b dom if not for those things.

Adjusting for inflation does matter to explain the craziness of some of these runs, Titanic adjusted to this years prices didn't have a day below $1m until 123 days in. Think about that when you compare JW to it by the end of the run, they aren't that comparable (time of year of release too) other than the domestic unadjusted total.

Guys Titanic's gross is an arbitrary #, I don't think anyone particularly cares about $655m vs how memorable the run was being #1 for 16 weeks, being #1 movie domestic by a wide margin for a while in the rise of steady price inflation. We all know JW won't really beat it. it's an adjusted domestic total that bears very little overall significance other than holy shit that's insane for JW being compared toTitanic on any level.

Thank you for saying this because frankly, I don't have the strength anymore ...

Jurassic World 's run is in deed cute.

:)

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1