CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

Why so many combos playing this weekend? Does it happen every-time a big movie releases? Cause we haven't seen collective fudging in a while...maybe one studio does it at a time.

So JW, IO, and TG all increased at least a few hundred thousand from Gopher's numbers. Everyone seems to think every studio fudged approximately the same amount at the same time.

Could also be that Gopher simply didn't have as full a picture as he thought.

Could be. I just assumed it had something to do with driveins/weird number allocations. I'll be more on my A-game tonight :)

• Like 1

So JW, IO, and TG all increased at least a few hundred thousand from Gopher's numbers. Everyone seems to think every studio fudged approximately the same amount at the same time.

Could also be that Gopher simply didn't have as full a picture as he thought.

Maybe, but more so in a nutshell they are estimates based on what data you have access to and looked at at a certain

point in time and then extrapolation from that using a couple methods as to what you think the number is going to be.

There are still hundreds of theatres not yet reported but to you point on JW,IO,TG the numbers are currently very close to what was released.

The way that Domestic handles reporting Double/triple feature which I've never agreed with pretty much all films in top 10 say are part of it, I guess at end of the day all comes fall circle with the reporting (see my past post listed some of the current double features this weekend)

• Like 5

Why so many combos playing this weekend? Does it happen every-time a big movie releases? Cause we haven't seen collective fudging in a while...maybe one studio does it at a time.

happens all the time there's all sorts of combos every week, sometimes drive-ins will also just play single as well so may only play say Minions and nothing else.

You can even have situation where say a 6-plex drive-in might be playing on 3 fields JP+TG, JP+Minions JP+Ted2

Edited by rthandhisMinions
  • Like 3

Come on, I can name 3 or 4 other members here who considering then greatest animation of all time

I surprisingly agree with you Ethan. Finding Nemo has had the most GA appeal of all of Pixar's films (including Toy Story), it shows with its massive gross, and how ingrained it is in pop culture.

Sure, many Pixar films are insanely popular (The Incredibles likely to get 100m+ OW), but if a kid sees a clownfish its Nemo. Heck, most adults with kids will call the Clownfish at aquariums Nemo.

There's a reason Pixar's Finding Dory announcement got more general audience chatter than any of their other sequel announcements, including Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4 (which had a lot of negative chatter as well).

Also, any person that grew up on Finding Nemo will flock to the sequel in a Toy Story 3 fashion. Nostalgia is huge when its played right (such as a popular film/franchise that engrained itself to pop culture remaining dormant for a long period of time)

There's a reason Finding Nemo made over 300m unadjusted in 2003 as an original film. The only reason a fish isn't sitting on the domestic animated crown right now is they never franchised Nemo like they did with Shrek.

457m is what Nemo did adjusted, which means adjusted its their biggest film.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

Great hold for MM, it's has been rebounding from the holiday all week.

Last week there were doubts it would make $50 million. Now it will easily surpass that figure.

This movie is not as frontloaded as the first movie. I expect the rebounding will continue for the next few weeks.

Great Friday. Good hold by IO, It will have great legs from here. JW had a good drop, it will be at $590 on Sunday, It will finish at $650.

Yeah, it will get there if it performs like TA.

TA had a 20.5m 5th weekend and added 70m more.

Same multiplier and 18m weekend will give JW about 652m.

Magic Mike isn't dropping so maybe now a domestic total closer to 65 maybe?

It will be on 48.5-49m after a 9.5-10m weekend. So adding about 21m more after that and touching 70m seems legit.

There's a reason Finding Nemo made over 300m unadjusted in 2003 as an original film. The only reason a fish isn't sitting on the domestic animated crown right now is they never franchised Nemo like they did with Shrek.

Way tougher to franchise Nemo than Shrek. "Nemo 2" does not even have Nemo it seems.