WrathOfHan

Tuesday Actuals: Minions 16.84 | IO 3.29 | JW 2.79 (Page 8)

I also think Minions could finish a bit higher than IO.

And I know Alfredstellar is gonna nag about our thoughts and think otherwise, because he is an IO-fanboy. I know him that well.

That's what fanboys do. They don't want another film to win over their favorite. I can imagine him saying something any minute now.

That's not how it goes. If a film does win over the other, we have to accept it. Don't be butthurt.

Can we please, at least, stop referring it to "winning"? Again, both films won. I don't think anybody can argue that.

And yes, Minions will finish higher than IO... but I don't think it'll be a significant amount.

• Like 1

Tuesdays have just been unusually strong this summer. No other explanation.

Minions looking good:

$228.9 million 10 day ($58 million for 2nd weekend) 

IO

$305.7 million by July 19th ($13.4 million 5th weekend)

JW

$606.4 million by July 19 ($9.5 million 6th weekend) 

Minions making a run at $425-450 million DOM, IO making a run at $340-360 million DOM, JW chugging along to $640-650 million DOM... just a typical week of summer 2015  ;)

40% Friday increase for JP4 seems too low. It has jumped an average of 66.4% each week so far and none of the jumps are below 60%. It simply is not performing like a movie released in the middle of summer. It already had a pretty bad Monday drop, so I would guess the Friday jump will be 50% or more once again.

40% Friday increase for JP4 seems too low. It has jumped an average of 66.4% each week so far and none of the jumps are below 60%. It simply is not performing like a movie released in the middle of summer. It already had a pretty bad Monday drop, so I would guess the Friday jump will be 50% or more once again.

It'll lose some theaters this week due to Ant-Man. That's why I think it'll get hurt slightly more than the last couple of weeks. 

I'd love to see it get a 50%+ Fri jump, though! 

It'll lose some theaters this week due to Ant-Man. That's why I think it'll get hurt slightly more than the last couple of weeks. 

I'd love to see it get a 50%+ Fri jump, though! 

I am curious to see the theater count too, but the last two weeks it lost an average of 378 theaters and the Friday jump was an average of 68.6%.

I am curious to see the theater count too, but the last two weeks it lost an average of 378 theaters and the Friday jump was an average of 68.6%.

Ant-Man's the first direct competition JW has gone up against its entire run.

IO/Minions have crossover, but aren't PG-13 tentpoles

Terminator was too dark to bring in families. 

Ted 2, Gallows, Self/Less, Max and XXL weren't competition, either.

Ant-Man and Pixels are family-friendly tentpoles, however... so I think JW will be hurt more by these two than anything it's gone up against so far. MI5/F4 lack kid appeal, so JW should start holding well again from the end of July to Labor Day. 

I also think Minions could finish a bit higher than IO.

And I know Alfredstellar is gonna nag about our thoughts and think otherwise, because he is an IO-fanboy. I know him that well.

That's what fanboys do. They don't want another film to win over their favorite. I can imagine him saying something any minute now.

That's not how it goes. If a film does win over the other, we have to accept it. Don't be butthurt.

Stop it! Using common sense is not allowed here.

• Like 1

Remember, franchises earn more bo than original films, so I guess Minions will beat Inside Out. I hope Inside Out stays on top *crosses fingers.

I mentioned in the other thread-- no matter who wins now, in five years Inside Out will be on millions of shelves and audiences will marvel at how they made five Despicable Me movies.

• Like 2

Remember, franchises earn more bo than original films, so I guess Minions will beat Inside Out. I hope Inside Out stays on top *crosses fingers.

Well no. This year we have JW, FF7, AoU...oh well.

The Ted 2 box office run is baffling, it is playing like a Hangover 3 without ever having a very profitable but disappointing Hangover 2 in between.

I blame the 3 year window between movies.

So IO increased 24% on it's 1st Tue and fell 28% on Wed.

I hope the same ratio does not hold with Minions (+30% on Tue). I don't think any movie has fallen 35% on it's first wed.

I will accept a -30% Wed, 12m.