grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

6 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Compare $200M CGI animated version of Lion King that Disney has funded, vs. say $200M Jupiter Ascending that WB funded.

They're equally unoriginal?

In Jupiter Ascending days, Disney was funding Tomorrowland around the same time.

Pretty certain Futurist is talking about very right now, when stuff like Alita are starting to feel original to people.

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

In Jupiter Ascending days, Disney was funding Tomorrowland around the same time.

Pretty certain Futurist is talking about very right now, when stuff like Alita are starting to feel original to people.

Wow, I forgot that was 4 years ago.

Was gonna say Alita but I'm sure Futurist would have a snide remark about how being a book adaptation is identical to lion king remake

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I am just saying, originality is a VERY relative concept.

It is true, a remake of the Intouchable like Green Book, a cops playing by the rules and an others being more rogue bodycops action-comedy are not necessarily more "original" than a Top Gun 2 (well depending, but that one seem like quite the challenge to come up with a story)

But even in the most relative and subjective gray continuum, the remake of a movie (that was itself based on an already very popular story) feel like it iis no Tomorrowland, 2001 a space odyssey, BlackSwan, La la land, Tree of Life, etc...

• Like 1

I mean, any serious drama/screenwriting  teacher would break it down for you in a few classes.

Read the classics from the best authors in the world history of Literature  and it s all there : all the stories and archetypes are there.

Do I have to remind people  again what was George Lucas' idea  behind Star Wars and who he was studying ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

maybe they need to release the A Whole New World scene or something to create positive buzz. it's just the two of them sitting on a carpet and singing, how hard could that be to mess up? i'm sure ritchie found a way.

Bigger question, the way that Aladdin guy acted in trailer, are they even capable of doing that song?

28 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

After 24 hours

YouTube: 4.2M

Twitter: 5.3M

Facebook: 6M

Total: 15.5M views, just on US Disney platforms

Really impressive for a TV spot

Great news.

Aladdin could be the most under-estimated movie of the year? (after Detective Pikachu perhaps)

7 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The thing I wonder tho : if more than one of the big Disney films flop this year, what will happen ?

Will the box office transfer to other films ?

Or will the box office as a whole decrease ?

A bit of the two ?

Pure speculation on my part but I feel like some of those Disney (or just event movie in general) that could underperform get a lot of unregular audience out to theater, if they underperform the box office of the rest would probably not gain much.

A bit like when we look at summers Box office with or without a Pixar release, it seem to have a direct boost or lack when they skip a year or Star Wars Christmas season:

2018 $2,511.6 -19.0% 60 $41.9 137 $18.3 -37.9% Aquaman $328.4 13.1%
2017 $3,100.8 +7.6% 59 $52.6 101 $30.7 -24.4% Star Wars: The Last Jedi $620.2 20.0%
2016 $2,882.6 +1.3% 59 $48.9 109 $26.4 -36.4% Rogue One $532.2 18.5%
2015 $2,845.5 +25.2% 58 $49.1 104 $27.4 -41.9% Star Wars: The Force Awakens $936.7 32.9%

350m just went away.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The thing I wonder tho : if more than one of the big Disney films flop this year, what will happen ?

Will the box office transfer to other films ?

Or will the box office as a whole decrease ?

A bit of the two ?

I think, in the hypothetical example of Aladdin's misfire, that, to a noticeable degree, box office really will funnel from that film to films like Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Ad Astra (if it makes that release date), Rocketman, Brightburn, The Sun Is Also A Star, etc. If people want to go to the movies that badly, they'll see something.

(This might just be wishful thinking, though.)

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, LordNox said:

I want Aladdin to bomb to help end the live action remake trend but sadly this movie will make the bank for Disney. The only question is how much money they will earn from it. The nostalgia factor alone will make this movie a success.

So you want more MCU movies and Fast & Furious movies ?

Good.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Even The Lion King, despite technically being an original film, takes a lot of inspiration from Hamlet

it's not really an original at all. despite what Disney tries to claim. it was ripped off from a Japanese anime from the 60s..

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1