grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

1 hour ago, NYer4Life said:

Congrats to Aladdin $1 billion!

Well deserved. Out of the 3 Disney releases this summer Aladdin takes it as the best.

Over 2 months later and I’m still listening to Speechless.

My daughter copies Naomi Scott running around the house singing it in dramatic fashion. It's awesome.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/30/2019 at 6:32 AM, FrozenUnicorn said:

If it's the music you love, Pasek and Paul get the praise for Speechless. They did the songs for La La Land, The Greatest Showman, and Dear Evan Hansen.

I do adore the movie as a whole though.

I cried each of the 4 times I watched La La Land in cinemas too. (The Greatest Showman was a total bore, though.)

The big thing here though is, in musicals presentation matters just as much as music - and actually much more. I don't cry when listening to these songs at home. But seeing them on the big screen with the timing, body and face language of the actors, and the exact directorial rhythm (of Ritchie, here) - that always works and chokes me.

Same for the soundtrack though, to be honest. Many scenes in normal, non-musical movies - that always bring me to tears - would not be capable of doing so, if not for the MUSIC kicking in the right moment! :)

That is why Movies ARE and always be the best art ever - because they marry ALL other arts in perfect experience! And, no, Games will never be Art - [MOD EDIT].

I am a week late with this, but I am posting it anyway. I shall add weekend 10 soon.

Update:

In its ninth weekend, Aladdin grossed $4,085,424. These are all the films released in May or June (since 2001) that grossed between $3.5M and $4.5M in their ninth weekend, and how much they added from that point onwards:

Marvel's The Avengers ($4,421,671): $16,853,166
Finding Nemo ($4,391,650): $26,595,080
Shrek ($3,603,843): $20,384,436

If Aladdin follows Marvel's The Avengers, its final gross will be $357,179,304.
If Aladdin follows Finding Nemo, its final gross will be $366,921,218.
If Aladdin follows Shrek, its final gross will be $360,710,574.

Multipliers:

Marvel's The Avengers: 3.81
Finding Nemo: 6.05
Shrek: 5.66

If Aladdin follows Marvel's The Avengers, its final gross will be $355,897,701.
If Aladdin follows Finding Nemo, its final gross will be $365,066,765.

If Aladdin follows Shrek, its final gross will be $363,434,543.

Range: $355M to $366M. It should be noted, however, that Finding Nemo had better weekdays and, looking ahead at its weekend 10 drop, it appears that its late run may be out of reach for Aladdin.

Including films released in May or June (since 2001) that grossed between $3M and $5M:

Incredibles 2 ($3,429,388): $18,809,756
Wonder Woman ($3,340,667): $17,319,035
Shrek 2 ($3,230,786): $16,214,601
Spider-Man ($3,130,214): $7,831,904

Worst-case scenario (if Aladdin follows Spider-Man): $348,158,042. I think it is fair to exclude this, as Aladdin will be there by the end of this week.
Worst-case scenario excluding Spider-Man (if Aladdin follows Shrek 2): $356,540,739.
Best-case scenario (if Aladdin follows Incredibles 2): $359,135,894.

Multipliers:

Incredibles 2: 5.48

Wonder Woman: 5.18
Shrek 2: 5.02
Spider-Man: 2.50

Worst-case scenario excluding Spider-Man (if Aladdin follows Shrek 2): $360,829,978.
Best-case scenario (if Aladdin follows Incredibles 2): $362,734,167.

Range: $356M to $362M.

Edited by Hilderic
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, shayhiri said:

I cried each of the 4 times I watched La La Land in cinemas too. (The Greatest Showman was a total bore, though.)

The big thing here though is, in musicals presentation matters just as much as music - and actually much more. I don't cry when listening to these songs at home. But seeing them on the big screen with the timing, body and face language of the actors, and the exact directorial rhythm (of Ritchie, here) - that always works and chokes me.

Same for the soundtrack though, to be honest. Many scenes in normal, non-musical movies - that always bring me to tears - would not be capable of doing so, if not for the MUSIC kicking in the right moment! :)

That is why Movies ARE and always be the best art ever - because they marry ALL other arts in perfect experience! And, no, Games will never be Art - games are pastime for losers.

Do videogames not have all of the elements of films...? They just add user interaction.

The only game I've experienced in that full way of a really emotional film, is a game called Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons. It uses the control scheme / player inputs to manipulate your brain and make full use of the medium, and the result is incredible... the experience was stronger than any film I've seen. They are a long way off it being common in games but it has the potential. It was like having your brain wired into the game and being fed emotion through the controller cable. Incredible.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, shayhiri said:

That is why Movies ARE and always be the best art ever - because they marry ALL other arts in perfect experience! And, no, Games will never be Art - games are pastime for losers.

I would have liked your comment if it weren't for the very last sentence. 

Video games can be art just as much as movies, books, and music on its own can. They're just another type of art form. True, video games have the player go through the world and thus it might break the immersion as its own story (therefore probably feeling like the story's broken up), but plenty of games have amazing stories to them—Metal Gear Solid, Zelda, Persona, Undertale, The Legend of Spyro, American McGee's Alice, Mother 3, Portal 2, and that's just off the top of my head. True, some games don't have much of a story to them and are just there for fun, but the ones that have an engaging story to them can feel like a movie, especially if the game has a lot of cutscenes and you string them all together.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 3:08 PM, shayhiri said:

Then you must play games quite a lot. You're literally the only person who mentioned them. Dare to tell me that trolling isn't one of your favorite hobbies, which, to me, is the ultimate description of a loser:rofl: 

Games can be art every bit as much as music, film, literature, etc.. Saying otherwise is ignorant and literally, for no good reason, provoking people who like games is just insufferable.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Thanks 2

On 7/30/2019 at 8:08 AM, shayhiri said:

Pfft, what a beta male. Real men don't cry, especially in a movie like ALADDIN!!!!

As promised:

Update:

In its tenth weekend, Aladdin grossed $3,039,648. The following is the only film released in May or June (since 2001 and excluding re-expansions) that grossed between $2.5M and $3.5M in its tenth weekend, and how much it added from that point onwards:

The Hangover ($3,369,178): $15,343,172

If Aladdin follows The Hangover, its final gross will be $361,523,406.

Multiplier:

The Hangover: 4.67

If Aladdin follows The Hangover, its final gross will be $360,383,291.

Including films released in May or June (since 2001) that grossed between $2M and $4M:

Finding Nemo ($3,860,462): $19,694,218
Shrek 2 ($2,316,663): $11,784,953
Incredibles 2 ($2,302,020): $14,480,876
Wonder Woman ($2,286,334): $13,130,995
Shrek ($2,275,232): $15,742,819
Spider-Man ($2,204,636): $3,648,018
Marvel's The Avengers ($2,168,124): $12,230,026

Worst-case scenario (if Aladdin follows Spider-Man) $349,828,252. Again, this is all but impossible.
Worst-case scenario excluding Spider-Man (if Aladdin follows Shrek 2): $357,965,187.
Best-case scenario (if Aladdin follows Finding Nemo): $365,874,452. Finding Nemo is still well ahead, so this remains a tall order. Not wholly impossible, however.
Best-case scenario excluding Finding Nemo (if Aladdin follows Shrek): $361,923,053.

Multipliers:

Finding Nemo: 5.10
Shrek 2: 5.09
Incredibles 2: 6.29
Wonder Woman: 5.74
Shrek: 6.92
Spider-Man: 1.65
Marvel's The Avengers: 5.64

Worst-case scenario excluding Spider-Man (if Aladdin follows Shrek 2): $361,643,039.
Best-case scenario (if Aladdin follows Shrek): $367,212,211.

Overall range: $357M to $367M.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/31/2019 at 6:16 AM, Noctis said:

Speechless is still easily the best song in any of the live-action films.

It is. I look forward to seeing what Menken and LMM can come up with for TLM. Given the talent involved, I'd hope they can at least match Speechless, if not produce something even better. 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2019 at 4:40 PM, FrozenUnicorn said:

I would have liked your comment if it weren't for the very last sentence. 

Video games can be art just as much as movies, books, and music on its own can. They're just another type of art form. True, video games have the player go through the world and thus it might break the immersion as its own story (therefore probably feeling like the story's broken up), but plenty of games have amazing stories to them—Metal Gear Solid, Zelda, Persona, Undertale, The Legend of Spyro, American McGee's Alice, Mother 3, Portal 2, and that's just off the top of my head. True, some games don't have much of a story to them and are just there for fun, but the ones that have an engaging story to them can feel like a movie, especially if the game has a lot of cutscenes and you string them all together.

Somebody else who played American McGee's Alice :D Remember when Sarah Michelle Gellar had signed on to star in a movie adaptation of the game? The attached director Marcus Nispel has proven to be weaksauce but SMG as Alice would have been enjoyable regardless.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Somebody else who played American McGee's Alice :D Remember when Sarah Michelle Gellar had signed on to star in a movie adaptation of the game? The attached director Marcus Nispel has proven to be weaksauce but SMG as Alice would have been enjoyable regardless.

Actually to tell you the truth, I haven't played the game yet.:sweat: I've read a lot about it and seen some clips (annoying that it's not on Steam), and I'm a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland in general (in fact I'm writing a sequel to the original books that has elements of American McGee's Alice in tone, though Alice is 15 in my novel).

On 7/31/2019 at 7:19 PM, MovieMan89 said:

Absolutely. I doubt it will be topped by any movie song this year either (Spirit sure as hell ain't it) and I really hope it takes the Oscar.