BadAtGender

Thursday #s: Twinkies 9.4, THE FEELS 2.2, Featherless Beasts 1.9 (rth) (page 3)

Man, that's not a good drop for Minions. I know we should at least wait and see how the weekend Plays out, but maybe WOM for Minions really isn't good.

It's a sequel so being more front loaded isn't surprising.  It also has competition in the family market place with Ant-man reportedly being the most family and kid friendly Marvel movie.

It's a sequel so being more front loaded isn't surprising.  It also has competition in the family market place with Ant-man reportedly being the most family and kid friendly Marvel movie.

It's not just about being frontloaded or having competition though. Maybe the auds reception hasn't been really great.

RTH liked my post and so I am assuming Ant-Man previews are around half of GOTG ( 5.5m).

Around $5m would be a fair number. I just saw the movie and while I could see why it'd gotten such positive feedbacks and more favourable reviews compared to AOU, the movie just wasn't for me.

RTH liked my post and so I am assuming Ant-Man previews are around half of GOTG ( 5.5m).

Yep.  Reading the tea leaves that would be $5.5-6m and leaved $65-75m OW in play.  Seems fine to me for what it is.

• Like 1

From what I could gather from midnight shows around my area, Trainwreck should be making at least $2m for previews. A lot of shows were close to sold out, and advance seating for a lot of shows tonight are almost on the same level as Ant-Man. 7pm show in my area is almost sold out already.

EDIT: RTH liked this post. A good sign if there's ever been one.

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 4

Minions are crowd pleasers appealing to Lowest Common Denominator.

People always take it personally, and don't think 'statistically'. The fact is that a certain kind of film tend to be considered a 'pleaser', or 'good', or 'funny', or 'enjoyable' by a certain kind of audience. Among people I know, the ones who are smarter and who have higher respect for cinema tend to dislike the Minions, while the more banal ones tend to like them. The same tends to apply to my students. It's also not just a matter of mere intelligence, but also of spirit (if you get A's at school, it doesn't automatically mean you can't have an unrefined spirit). If person Q likes those bananas, it can just be an island in the ocean, or a piece of a wide peninsula.

What you said is not an absolute truth, an A -> B. It works on the 'big numbers' and doesn't represent a chain for the 'individual' cases. This is often misunderstood by many. White Chicks can easily be a depressing piece of garbage, but my smart brother (all As, scholarships, 30/30, etc blah blah blah) loves it. Does it contradict anything? No. Cinderella clearly appeals to girls and women, and I saw it 3 times on screen - does that make my Y change to X? No - yet the initial statement stands.

• Like 2

If Minions makes only 50 million this weekend, it will probably end up with 350 - 360 million DOM if it keeps falling 50% in the next 2 weeks:

50 million (2nd weekend) - 218 million

25 million (3d weekend) - 268 million

15 million (4th weekend) - 298 million

10 million (5th weekend + labor day bump) - 318 million

7 million (6th weekend) - 332 million

5 million (7th weekend) - 342 million

3 million (8th weekend) - 348 million

1 million (9th weekend) - 350

so 350 seems to be the minimum it can get to at the moment if the 2nd weekend drop is over 55%.

• Like 1

Jurassic World is playing with Ant-Man at drive-ins this weekend...yay for more fudge.

It's not fudge when every studio does it and it's literally how they report double feature grosses for every film.

Edited by PDC1987