WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

There is only two reasons I will see a man. 1 I have an addiction to movies. The second reason is that I love Paul Rudd

• Like 2

What about opportunity cost with Ant-Man? Could Marvel have put the same resources into another project and be looking at 100 million plus opening instead of maybe 60? I think the answer is absolutely. So 60 million may be good in a vacuum, but not wide view. It's gotta do well over 200 to break even. Not gonna happen. Hows is this a win for Marvel, tell me!

• Like 1

What about opportunity cost with Ant-Man? Could Marvel have put the same resources into another project and be looking at 100 million plus opening instead of maybe 60? I think the answer is absolutely. So 60 million may be good in a vacuum, but not wide view. It's gotta do well over 200 to break even. Not gonna happen. Hows is this a win for Marvel, tell me!

:huh:

• Like 1

10x gives it 64m. Going by recent marvel preview multipliers, shouldn't that be the max? 11x gives 70.4m, that would be a big surprise considering previews started at 7pm.

Ant-Man has a reported budget of $130m, it doesn't have to make $200m to break even, it lot of it depends on OS numbers too you know. as long as it can hit $350m WW it should make them a little money, I'm pretty sure it can do more than that. 

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 2

It had a much smaller budget than recent MCU movies (130 I think it was). So even 300WW (which is will do easily) will be a success.
  • Like 1

I'd prefer to see a woman

Voice to text for some reason it does not recognize ant man

Edited by baumer

You know what, he does raise a good point. Anytime a studio isn't making a sequel to one of their top 2-3 franchises they're basically wasting everyone's time. Basic finance bro

First, US is not the only market for Ant Man, it will do well over $500M WW so Disney still has some profit.

Second, Marvel want to create a franchise that last 4ever not just a couple of years. If Marvel had kept making Ironman instead of doing more thing like CA,Thor, Avengers would have never happened. It's all apart of a bigger plan for Marvel.

• Like 1

Ant-Man has a reported budget of $130m, it doesn't have to make $200m to break even, it lot of it depends on OS numbers too you know. as long as it can hit $350m WW it should make them a little money, I'm pretty sure it can do more than that. 

Yes 130 million for the prod budget. But P&A is gonna be higher than Winter or Thor DW since Ant-Man is almost unknown property. They had to blast this worldwide non-stop for anyone to pay attention. So you are looking at 80 million P&A for Dom same for Foreign, so add 160 million to the 130 million. Total cost worldwide for theatrical and digital release will be around 400 million. It's gotta do at least 200 domestic to even think about a profit. Just saying that is a lot of money to spend to break even.

Yes 130 million for the prod budget. But P&A is gonna be higher than Winter or Thor DW since Ant-Man is almost unknown property. They had to blast this worldwide non-stop for anyone to pay attention. So you are looking at 80 million P&A for Dom same for Foreign, so add 160 million to the 130 million. Total cost worldwide for theatrical and digital release will be around 400 million. It's gotta do at least 200 domestic to even think about a profit. Just saying that is a lot of money to spend to break even.

No way did they spend more on P&A than producing the movie. They kept the budget down for a reason.  The P&A has been very muted compared to recent Marvel movies. 

As said Marvel also has further use for the characters and the there's merchandise, though not near the level of other Marvel movies it's another revenue stream and more than Fox or Sony are making in their Marvel deals.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

Not exactly. 150 DOM and even 275OS will still make a profit.

What about opportunity cost with Ant-Man? Could Marvel have put the same resources into another project and be looking at 100 million plus opening instead of maybe 60? I think the answer is absolutely.

Which one?

With a reasonable budget like Ant-Man.

• Like 1

That's all speculation, we don't know exactly how much DIsney spent on P&A. 

And you think Ant-Man is going to gross less than 200M OS. NOPE