WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

You know what, he does raise a good point. Anytime a studio isn't making a sequel to one of their top 2-3 franchises they're basically wasting everyone's time. Basic finance bro

Sadly this is probably exactly how the studios feel in reality.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

No way did they spend more on P&A than producing the movie. They kept the budget down for a reason.  The P&A has been very muted compared to recent Marvel movies. 

As said Marvel also has further use for the characters and the there's merchandise, though not near the level of other Marvel movies it's another revenue stream and more than Fox or Sony are making in their Marvel deals.

Exactly marvel knows how to advertise, and they do it better than a lot of studios for less money, I'm almost positive there was not as much marketing for this movies as Winter Soldier, or GOTG.  Mad Max Fury road is getting a sequel, it had a $150m budget and it only made $360m WW, albeit was one of the best reviewed blockbusters of the year.

• Like 1

Exactly marvel knows how to advertise, and they do it better than a lot of studios for less money

It helps to have both Disney Channel and ESPN under the same corporate umbrella. I would guess Marvel (and the Disney film studio in general) advertises on both of those networks at a big discount (maybe even completely free) compared to what other studios have to pay.

• Like 2

Eh I am probably full of shit. But something about the business decision behind Ant-Man seems very off, like it was the product of some absurd groupthink. With Wright, I could see a play into a different tone for MCU films, which might have paid dividends later. AM is just pushing them further towards blandness, which is gonna hurt their returns sooner or later.

Eh I am probably full of shit. But something about the business decision behind Ant-Man seems very off, like it was the product of some absurd groupthink. With Wright, I could see a play into a different tone for MCU films, which might have paid dividends later. AM is just pushing them further towards blandness, which is gonna hurt their returns sooner or later.

Could Ant-Man had better if Edgar Wright directed it? Maybe and probably. but what I was although definitely had marvel's stamp on it, was a much smaller more personal story than what they've done so far, not to mention Ant-Man is a pivotal part of the avengers in the comics, so it makes since he would get a movie eventually. I really liked the movie and really hope there is a direct sequel, so I hope it can do well enough for that.

So I was checking BOMojo waiting for friday numbers, when I realize they haven't even updated their thursday numbers yet, what is up with them?

They suck now!   :P

Seriously, that site has gone down in quality for a while now. I don't even go there anymore. I stick with BO.com, The Numbers and tweets from THR, Deadline and Gitesh.

Do we have official Thursday numbers yet?

oh wait I was getting ahead of myself. I saw Ant-Man last night so It was like opening day to me, I guess we won't get friday numbers until tomorrow :P

They suck now!   :P

Seriously, that site has gone down in quality for a while now. I don't even go there anymore. I stick with BO.com, The Numbers and tweets from THR, Deadline and Gitesh.

They have gone down hill that's for sure, but I still prefer their record keeping to other BO sites.

• Like 2

So I was checking BOMojo waiting for friday numbers, when I realize they haven't even updated their thursday numbers yet, what is up with them?

Still early though. I remember the days when actuals were never posted or reported until late afternoon the following day.

• Like 1

They kinda have to do Ant-Man, don't they? He's one of the original Avengers. From the reactions I've read it sounds like a fun movie and I'm sure they will make plenty of profit.

I'm at a 1:30 Trainwreck and they've already sold out two shows for it tonight. I thought the narketing was strong but geez, we've drastically underestimated this one.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

Still early though. I remember the days when actuals were never posted or reported until late afternoon the following day.

I remember when we didn't get weekend estimates until Sunday afternoon/early evening, lol.

• Like 2

I am not so sure of that.

We are in primetime for high school and college kids being out of school, plus Marvel seems to have grown more of a preview audience recently compared to their Phase 1 films. Look at Guardians, a totally "new" concept that should have been less frontloaded over the weekend than some of the Marvel sequels and yet it had a 8.4 multi from the preview number to the weekend number. That's probably because it was a true summer release so it was easier for teenage and young adults to go see it on Thursday evening. If something similar happens here then it ends up around $54m.

GOTG isn't the best comparison either. It wasn't a sequel but it certainly played like one with previews. It has 3rd best previews from phase 2 behind TA2 and IM3 ahead of both TWS and Thor 2.

They kinda have to do Ant-Man, don't they? He's one of the original Avengers. From the reactions I've read it sounds like a fun movie and I'm sure they will make plenty of profit.

Pym and Wasp are original and important Avengers (though thanks to Wright not in the MCU).  Lang is a legacy guy who came in a couple of decades later.  His daughter Cassie later becomes one of the Young Avengers.

GOTG isn't the best comparison either. It wasn't a sequel but it certainly played like one with previews. It has 3rd best previews from phase 2 behind TA2 and IM3 ahead of both TWS and Thor 2.

Winter Soldier and Thor 2 both came out with kids in school. This is one of the points people keep ignoring. Summer weekdays make it a lot easier for teenagers and young adults who might normally be busy with homework or whatever to go to the movies on Thursday night. Guardians benefited from this and I think Ant-Man did too.