WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates: Ant-Man 58.04 | Minions 50.24 | Trainwreck 30.24 | IO 11.66 | JW 11.36 (Page 88)

What about opportunity cost with Ant-Man? Could Marvel have put the same resources into another project and be looking at 100 million plus opening instead of maybe 60? I think the answer is absolutely. So 60 million may be good in a vacuum, but not wide view. It's gotta do well over 200 to break even. Not gonna happen. Hows is this a win for Marvel, tell me!

This is a movie called Ant-Man.  ANT-MAN!!  He controls ants and changes sizes!!  This is the weirdest superhero we've seen yet.  It's going to open higher than Green Lantern, a very well known and (at the time) extremely popular superhero.  

They've built a brand on reliably good to great(for the most part) movies that are all tied into the same universe.  They are building a roster of heroes so that they don't have to rely on the same few over and over.  

This is the very definition of a "win" for Marvel.

• Like 10

Winter Soldier and Thor 2 both came out with kids in school. This is one of the points people keep ignoring. Summer weekdays make it a lot easier for teenagers and young adults who might normally be busy with homework or whatever to go to the movies on Thursday night. Guardians benefited from this and I think Ant-Man did too.

GOTG had much higher buzz compared to Ant-man. Hence I don't see the same rush factor.

Just out curiosity, why 150 dom?

Just throwing out a number. 60 opening, 2.7x will get 150-160ish.

That being said, I think Ant-Man will finish closer to 175-180. I'm using 150 to say that it doesn't need to make close to 200DOM to make a profit.

This is a movie called Ant-Man. ANT-MAN!! He controls ants and changes sizes!! This is the weirdest superhero we've seen yet. It's going to open higher than Green Lantern, a very well known and (at the time) extremely popular superhero.

They've built a brand on reliably good to great(for the most part) movies that are all tied into the same universe. They are building a roster of heroes so that they don't have to rely on the same few over and over.

This is the very definition of a "win" for Marvel.

They also launched a merchandise line for the character that will continue through Civil War. That and the reduced budget is a win.

• Like 2

Ant-man was a tough sell. That's it's getting good/decent wom is itself a win for Marvel. Presence of characters like Ant-Man even in a small way in a future film, keeps things fresh in MCU.

A lot are saying the 3D is pretty good, I'm going to see it in 3D tomorrow.

The 3D was good, but Reed didn't put it to as good use as he could have.  I can't think of any "object(s) coming right at you" Wow moments.  But the 3D does a lot to enhance the universe when Ant-Man is ant-sized.

The 3D was good, but Reed didn't put it to as good use as he could have.  I can't think of any "object(s) coming right at you" Wow moments.  But the 3D does a lot to enhance the universe when Ant-Man is ant-sized.

Yeah, it's more the depth that's getting praise and not before the window. Movies rarely utilize before the window.

Edited by WrathOfHan

The Movietickets trend for today is pretty surprising. Ant-Man and Minions have both fallen in market share since morning, Ant-Man was at 38% and Minions was at 25%, now they are at 34% and 21%, but Trainwreck has gone from 16% to 22%. Trainwreck may hugely surprise this weekend.

Edited by grim22

Now that I don't pay for 3D (or movies for that matter) I've stopped hating it and just started thinking of it as "meh... it's... There..."

I get it for free too, but 3D still sucks :P  So I go for the 2D version every time where I can