Asyulus

Not So Fantastic Weekend Thread | MI5 29.4, F4 26.2, Gift 12, Ricki 7, Shaun 4, Vac 9, AM 7.8

Grown Ups 2 opened north of 40m with 7% 2 years back. If folks wanna see it they will. F4nt4stic A (did I get it right?) was looking at 40s anyway. The director tried to detach himself from the project publicly. This was a rarity when it comes to bad buzz. If Deadpool or Fantastic Beast gets 0%, am still gonna see it.

It's got a better chance than The Martian. The marketing has been a major effort in the vein of a tent-pole film and has done a good job aiming to several demos. It's advertised as a straight forward true event survival story of the most publicly infatuated mountain in the world. And they're marketing t as something you should see in theaters for the scope. Also we will be pretty deprived of any big new releases by then. It should be time for one. It still needs to have great WOM though to get to 200, never going to get there just off of OW.

These type of movies never usually hit 100, let alone 200. It'll probably open in the 20-30 range and gross 60-90m DOM. Even if it's a good movie these types of films never break out big.

I don't think Notorious had the potential to be relevant to the current political/social climate. #blacklivesmatters is all over the news and the film will resonate with a  audience that has been for the most part ignored all summer.

Is that a huge part of SOC though? I thought it's more concerned with being a biopic of the NWA's rise to stardom than a social commentary. Which by the way, sure did Selma no favors this year.

Grown Ups 2 opened north of 40m with 7% 2 years back. If folks wanna see it they will. F4nt4stic A (did I get it right?) was looking at 40s anyway. The director tried to detach himself from the project publicly. This was a rarity when it comes to bad buzz. If Deadpool or Fantastic Beast gets 0%, am still gonna see it.

you saying bad buzz right now got that taylor swift song in my head. something wrong with me.

• Like 2

No matter who we blame for the final movie, this is a huge weekend lesson for studios.

You cannot release a major event as compromised as this anymore and get away with a big opening weekend before the word gets out.

I've mentioned Green Lantern before as a comparison. If that had come out in 2015 it would be opening with around the same number as F4. Maybe a little more.

No matter what people think of RT, a shit score matters.

9 PERCENT MATTERS.

though due to bad reviews..so kinda proves your point somewhat.

Edited by a2k

FF was really good right at the beginning.  Then it jumps 7 years later and it went all down hill from there.  None of the characters were interesting, none of the actors did a particularly good job with the exception of Tim Blake Nelson, who chews up the screen every time he's on it.  But other than that, there's no love triangle, no conflict, no tension, nothing.  Then something interesting happens and then they jump ahead a year to where there is no more conflict.  And they spend 95 minutes setting up 5 minutes of Doom stuff.  I wasn't a big fan of the original but it's miles better than this one.  

what the hell where they thinking. Its a comic book movie and they know people do not watch them for dialogue. They watch them to see action scenes with their comic book heroes. Kate Mara was good in it though. But you hit the nail on the head. There is only like 5-8 mil of action in it. I mean this is just insane for a blockbuster movie. Could a Blu-Ray release maybe be better where they really show what they were really planning to bring to the screen. Because noway it was this.

It'll be more in the line of 8 Mile then walk the line. I don't want rehash my long post in the SOC Club of why it'll be big, but in short: Reason 1: No films aimed at African American audiences Reason 2: NWA was huge back in the day and we've seen how nostalgia sells (not to mention the newest album is selling like crazy) and finally Reason 3: Racial tension between minorities and the police force at the same time a movie comes out that details that discrimination and one of its most popular songs has the lyrics "Fuck the Police".

If that doesn't point to 100m I don't know what would.

Your points are valid but when 8 mile was released, Eminem was the biggest artist on the planet.

He was EVERYWHERE.

• Like 1

I've detected zero tangible hype for The Martian, so I don't understand how it's supposed to perform so much better at the BO than the insanely hyped Prometheus? Scott does not make movies the general public like for well over a decade, so it having great WOM seems next to impossible.

Fox puts all their marketing campaign on F4

It's like a seance. by talking about potter we're hoping we can talk to noctis from the beyond.

As soon as Noctis left us Colin Farrell got cast in that spinoff. It was a sign, there's no going back  :(

• Like 2

Leave Jessica Alba alone, at least her Fantastic Four movies opened over $55m. Lol

This weekend looks like a September weekend.

Jessica Alaba was a draw for 15 minutes in Hollywood and you know it.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Bad as it may be, I'm so intrigued by FANTASTIC FOUR that I'll be watching it on Monday.

My programme for the day shall be:

FANTASTIC FOUR - 12:40pm

THE GIFT - 15:00pm

SOUTHPAW - 17:40pm

• Like 2

Totally different. Audiences expect an Adam Sandler idiot comedy to get bad reviews. They already know whether they agree or not from a dozen movies that have preceded it as to whether it's their cup of tea.

With comic book movies, and certainly major ones, people now expect a good movie. Whatever anyone has to say about the amount of comic book pictures, on the whole they're at least pretty good. The reaction to F4 is unprecedented in recent memory, and what has happened to its Friday box office seems to be an immediate reaction to that word.

yeah i think everything lived up to expectations for the most part. There were a few breakouts during every summer month.

May:

Pitch Perfect 2-I dont think anyone truly realized how big this fanbase was; it nearly tripled the gross of the first. 

San Andreas-no one was really checking for this film but it actually came in above tracking and 400m+ WW; proving that The Rock is an action-star draw.

June:

Spy-Everyone thought it would do well domestically but it's equally successful overseas, 232m WW and counting. 

Jurassic World: This exceeded even the most optimistic predictions. Total shocker of the summer.

Inside Out-Most people thought Minions would take the animation crown easily, but synergy with Jurassic World proved to be critical in the peak of summer. 

July:

Trainwreck-Exceeded expectations especially since it starred a relatively new comedian (Amy Schumer) 

Action hero, saving people