CJohn

Official Weekend Estimates: Straigth Outta Compton - 56.1M; The Man From UNCLE - 13.5M; MI5 - 17.3M; Fantastic Four - 8M

As per Universal's smarts:

the-wolf-pulp-fiction-lets-not-start-suc

Sure, they have a giant hit on their hands with Compton and that's terrific, but did they really do anything revolutionary this year by having F7 become a monster hit?  Did they contribute to Walker's death and up the curiosity factor?

Did they do anything out of the ordinary when they green lit PP2, after it blew up onj home video?

Did they do anything crazy when they finally made a great JP movie?

And Minions?  Come on guys.

I'm all for giving credit where it is due, but Universal didn't really do anything revolutionary here.

Come on, they're going to have the biggest year of any studio in history in terms of gross. Hell, it's already at #2.

We knew Universal was going to have a great year, but we didn't know it would be this good.

• Like 2

Vin Diesel Announces FAST & FURIOUS 7 Will Arrive on July 11, 2014

http://collider.com/fast-furious-7-release-date/

That doesn't count as a release - the movies was pushed to another release date for different reasons.

That article is from April 16, 2013, at that time he couldn't have known Paul Walker will die ~ during the filming (a break) at 30. November 2013

That alone would have been enough for a delay, but often dates also get moved e.g. for a better matching day or if too much similar audience-aimed-at movies get released around that date too or....

• Like 1

Congrats Universal for once again showing how's it's done!!

FF7, Minions, JW and now Compton - all blew expectations out of the water!

Their success this year needs to be really studied - far more than just 'luck' or franchise power. There's way more to it.

EDIT: and PP2 too, forgot about that one too! Their successes are too many to count this year.

And 50SOG. And Trainwreck. And Unfriended and The Boy Next Door both have some insane budget to gross ratios.

• Like 2

It may not have been great, but it's not like any of the movies on that list had really high budgets. They did really well for a year with no tentpoles.

Yep, and it pretty much confirms they wanted FF7 badly for their Summer 2014.

They had no tentpoles ready, just this one.

It may not have been great, but it's not like any of the movies on that list had really high budgets. They did really well for a year with no tentpoles.

All those films were profitable, Sony had a similar year back in 2010 where they had stand out tentpoles but still ended up doing really well. As I mentioned, $150-200m tentpoles are great but the smaller budget films like a comedy, a biopic or an inexpensive action film can be just be as profitable if not more than a tentpole. A strong studio IMO is a mix of tentpoles and smaller films. 

• Like 2

All those films were profitable, Sony had a similar year back in 2010 where they had stand out tentpoles but still ended up doing really well. As I mentioned, $150-200m tentpoles are great but the smaller budget films like a comedy, a biopic or an inexpensive action film can be just be as profitable if not more than a tentpole. A strong studio IMO is a mix of tentpoles and smaller films. 

Speaking of Sony

• Like 1

Speaking of Sony

Wow - "Sony’s entire domestic box office take in 2015 was $285 million. $30 million less than “Minions” has made in one month of release."

— Gina Hall (@Capra_Girl) August 14, 2015
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I bet they're happy HT2, Goosebumps and Spectre are coming, Spectre alone will do $250m+ 

When are they announcing the 2Pac biopic?

I feel like Universal should start a 90's West Coast Hip-Hop Biopic Cinematic Universe.

The Tupac biopic has been development for a long time, don't think it's at Universal though. 

After seeing Amy, I wonder if a biopic would be successful, it's likely too soon to have one but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens within a decade or two

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1