solaris

Best opening shots

Great supercut of some of the best opening shots of all time:

What are your favourites? Top 3 for me:

Alien

The slow 'creation' of the logo + Jerry Goldsmith score + epic space matte paintings = BLISS

The Shining

Not a million miles away from Alien - an opening of staggering beauty priming the way for the horrific things to come. The very first shot swooping over the lake is one of the most breathtaking shots ever. It's also a brilliant way to foreshadow the impending isolation of the Torrance family from the rest of civilisation.

The Dark Knight

I saw this in IMAX. When the aspect ratio jump cuts from the opening logos / bat signal intertitle (in normal ratio) to the swoop through the Gotham cityscape in full IMAX ratio, I quite literally felt like I was about fall into the screen. I think that single shot alone remains one of the most exhilarating cinematic experiences ever for me.

• Like 1

Great supercut of some of the best opening shots of all time:

What are your favourites? Top 3 for me:

Alien

The slow 'creation' of the logo + Jerry Goldsmith score + epic space matte paintings = BLISS

The Shining

Not a million miles away from Alien - an opening of staggering beauty priming the way for the horrific things to come. The very first shot swooping over the lake is one of the most breathtaking shots ever. It's also a brilliant way to foreshadow the impending isolation of the Torrance family from the rest of civilisation.

The Dark Knight

I saw this in IMAX. When the aspect ratio jump cuts from the opening logos / bat signal intertitle (in normal ratio) to the swoop through the Gotham cityscape in full IMAX ratio, I quite literally felt like I was about fall into the screen. I think that single shot alone remains one of the most exhilarating cinematic experiences ever for me.

That shot got a round of applause when I saw it on Saturday night. Great start to a movie!
  • Like 1

That montage has all the ones that immediately came to my mind - Star Wars, 2001, Alien, Blade Runner, etc. - and Raiders was also mentioned here.

But here's another: Back to the Future. It may just be a simple pan across a bunch of clocks, and it is an admitted homage to that abstract montage of flying clocks in George Pal's The Time Machine, but that tracking shot of all those ticking clocks is so thematically perfect. I cannot think of any better way that BTTF could have started.

• Like 1