kayumanggi

RED SPARROW | 03.02.18 | Fox | Jennifer Lawrence

Reaction from Reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/7w75n0/red_sparrow_early_screening_reaction/

I enjoyed the film. It's dark, grim, and a bit too long for my personal preference (2 hrs 19 mins). There was some uncomfortable sex scenes and graphic torture. It was definitely engaging, but it moved at bit of a slow pace (but deliberate). I didn't know that this was the first in a trilogy of books (2nd: Palace of Treason & 3rd: The Kremlin's Candidate). I thought Jennifer Lawrence actually did a really good job and commend her for branching out and taking different roles. Really enjoyed Joel Edgerton too. The film felt very relevant in the time of powerful men in Hollywood taking advantage of young girls (this may have been unintentional and just part of the story though). But from the limited research I have done on the author, he seems to have lived all this and knows the world very well. The plot did feel a bit convoluted at times and hard to catch different names and who is/has betraying/ed who. It can be a dark and disturbing film at times, but I enjoyed it. Also to note: Jeremy Irons was great as always, but his Russian accent was practically non existent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The more reactions I hear, the less confident I become about legs. I'm still expecting an opening around 30M, but I wouldn't be shocked if it tops out around 70-75M.

Who called it :sparta: 

On 4/11/2017 at 6:17 PM, That One Guy said:

Red Sparrow - 29/74

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

3 hours ago, XO21 said:

Any rumored budget number? I suppose something like Gone Girl, $60m.

It’s long and hard R, no way this thing gets to $100m dom.

Fox has been doing the adult hard R for a while now, they know what the risk is and I would suspect they kept the budget as low as possible.  I think Deadpool was was $60M.  I can't imagine they paid more than that for this one.  Let's say $60M, and it could be even a bit lower, if it wasn't starring JLaw it would definitely have been less. I think the movie Blake Lively is making, also a spy movie, has a $50M budget. Atomic Blond was like what? $30M?

They probably want to be able to break even as low as $50M Dom and $100M international.  Both of which I feel are safe bets unless it's a complete turd, and that seems unlikely.

They note Jen's ballet trainer here.  Jen studied for four or more months, and was able to make it through the entire dance routine by the end.  Obviously they will use her ballet body double for the long shots, but Francis Lawrence didn't want to be limited in editing where he could switch to a shot of Jen.

Edited by trifle

36 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

doubt this will open with 30m. I think more like 23m and finish with 62, wasnt atomic blonde supposed to do around 30m too and then underperformed big time? lmao

? Not sure I get the joke.

Atomic blonde best tracking was 20 to 22m, 30m that is John Wick 2 level of opening.

I also have big doubt about a giant 30m OW... for this ? Almost no original live action ever open that big, 20m tend to be what big success opening turn around now a day, a very limited amount will achieve that star power 20m mark in a year and everything need to go well like for Hidden Figures, Arrival, Baby driver or Hitman Bodyguard to achieve it and usually it will be barely.

Box office pro 27m prediction was always on the very optimistic side that is a 60% upgrade on Atomic Blonde/American Made almost 100% bigger than John Wick/Sicario, all very well received movies. 

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1