kayumanggi

RED SPARROW | 03.02.18 | Fox | Jennifer Lawrence

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Never ceases to amaze me that folks are supposed think that being labeled as being for social justice is a BAD thing.

(my one and only comment on that post)

But let’s not forget that there are shortsighted SJWs who will accuse people of sexism or racism if they dislike something of a different sex or race when their reason for disliking it has nothing to do with sex or race.

• Like 1

I saw this and really enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect, but I can't remember the last time I saw a perfect film, and I think the WOM is going to be much more good than bad.

PS it is hard to see how any people could think this was exploitative rather than empowering, to be honest.  Yes there is nudity.  And very violent violence.  Be warned, I guess.

Edited by trifle

8 minutes ago, trifle said:

I saw this and really enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect, but I can't remember the last time I saw a perfect film, and I think the WOM is going to be much more good than bad.

PS it is hard to see how any people could think this was exploitative rather than empowering, to be honest.  Yes there is nudity.  And very violent violence.  Be warned, I guess.

How is someone who’s forced to strip viewed as empowering?

Edited by Jay Beezy

19 minutes ago, trifle said:

If you saw it, you'd know.

I don't remember the spoiler rules for the movie thread during opening weekend.

From the Solo thread a couple of days ago:

On 3/1/2018 at 11:29 AM, The Last AndyLL said:

Many movies release later outside of the USA.... sometimes months later.  The current policy was proposed and everyone had the ability to comment on it.  It had overwhelming support.

1) Review Forum/Specific spoiler thread - always allowed

2) Numbers thread - not allowed for 1st 4 weeks even tagged

3) Main movie thread - tagged for 1st 4 weeks (if no spoiler thread) then allowed  

4) Everywhere else - Must be tagged until streaming/dvd is available

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/guidelines/

So in this case since there isn't a dedicated spoiler thread, you can discuss it here inside a spoiler box or the relevant RTM thread outside of spoiler bars. :)

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

But let’s not forget that there are shortsighted SJWs who will accuse people of sexism or racism if they dislike something of a different sex or race when their reason for disliking it has nothing to do with sex or race.

There's silly people in all walks of life though.  Not gonna let them define a movement unless there is overwhelming reason to do so.  Like, say, the alt-reich. 

Thank you!

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

From the Solo thread a couple of days ago:

So in this case since there isn't a dedicated spoiler thread, you can discuss it here inside a spoiler box or the relevant RTM thread outside of spoiler bars. :)

Spoiler

When she strips, SHE is the one who demands power, and by the end of the movie, she has turned the tables on those who forced her into the Sparrow lifestyle.  With the audience rooting her on, every step of the way.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2

Really enjoyed this one.  It takes its time telling the story and then it leaves you guessing near the end.  Jlaw is terrific and so is the supporting cast, especially Charlotte Rampling.  

• Like 12

54 minutes ago, trifle said:

If you saw it, you'd know.

I don't remember the spoiler rules for the movie thread during opening weekend.

I agree with what you are saying here.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Red Sparrow, the Black Widow movie that we should have gotten 5 years ago.

I'm not bothering to argue that it isn't, any more, but THR is bothering

red_sparrow_and_captain_america_civil_wa

'Red Sparrow' Is Not the Marvel Rip-Off You've Heard It Is

Red Sparrow is as far from a Marvel movie as one could possibly get. It lingers, more interested in interactions than action. It’s driven by a kind of sexual violence and moral menace that gives its grounded nature a workout. Lawrence has crafted an adult-minded film, one built within real-world intrigue and messy patriotism born of even messier politics. Red Sparrow isn’t an action film. There are no gun fights, no explosions, no car chases, and when a character sets out with the intent to kill, the deed is followed through without ceremony. In truth, Red Sparrow is the story that exists outside the borders of Marvel comic book panels, showcasing the vulgarity that those pages can only hint at. It’s a better showcase of real-world espionage than any superhero movie could tell, and arguably the best showcase of an R-rating for a major, mainstream release since David Fincher’s Gone Girl. While not everything about the film works, there is a refreshing quality to it that can’t be dismissed. Within the first thirty minutes of the film, it’s clear that Lawrence was true to his word, Red Sparrow has far too much on its mind and up its sleeves than to be beholden to super-spy theatrics, and any similarities stem from cultural touchstones, not comic book canon.

As much as we crave real-world grit and maturity in our films, there’s also an undeniable need for escapism, for the thrill that gun fights, explosions, and car chases deliver. While there’s no telling how Marvel’s Black Widow will ultimately shape up, we’re surely in store for some of that, but given its own spin in the way that only Marvel can do. In a universe that isn’t bound by real-world events, the possibilities are far too endless to fear the film knocking up against Lawrence’s. There’s no number of Red Sparrows, Atomic Blondes, or Wonder Women that can take away from the unique quality of superhero and spy that Black Widow has, nor that characterization that Johansson has crafted. Just as there is no amount of Black Widow movies that can take away from any of those prior films and their central performances. It seems we’ve only just begun to scratch the surface of what these genres and subgenres are capable of exploring with women in the lead. We need Red Sparrow. We need Black Widow. And we need whatever comes after that.

more at link.

But as I said, I'm not arguing the point any more.  I will say, though, that if you want to see an adult targeted version, you'd better see this one.

• Like 1

I'm not bothering to argue that it isn't, any more, but THR is bothering

Calling Red Sparrow the Black Widow movie that we should have gotten isn't an insult at Sparrow, but an insult at Marvel for not releasing a Widow movie sooner.

Of course BW doesn't own the idea of a Russian agent chick being badass.

• Like 2

This must be pretty widespread, this is like the third write up of it I have seen.

Several users in certain markets noticed that their MoviePass app was barring them from purchasing tickets to Red Sparrow, the spy thriller starring Jennifer Lawrence. And meanwhile, a select few users got notified of an old, unpopular feature that MoviePass may be bringing back.

Is MoviePass Preventing Ticket Purchases?

MoviePass has appeared to be using their customer base as a bargaining chip in negotiations with high-powered companies like AMC. And now, more evidence of that has come with a new tactic.

edit...

well, and the fourth...

So what’s really going on here? Without full disclosure from MoviePass itself, which has remained relatively tight-lipped on its ongoing conversations with theater chains and film studios, we can only speculate. But it looks like MoviePass, which is building up an advertising business of its own, may be playing another game of hardball with the film distribution and production companies responsible for marketing spend.

MoviePass has in the past plugged films like I, Tonya — and, this week, Death Wish — by way of email blasts and in-app placement. The app doesn’t appear to be advertising Red Sparrow, so the “test” MoviePass says it’s conducting may be to see if it can direct viewers to another showing by blacking out the movie that its own customers actually want to see.

more at link

Edited by trifle

2 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I don't use MoviePass, but I read from others with the same problem that you can just pick the "movie showtime is not listed" option and get a Red Sparrow ticket that way.

Thanks.

Pretty solid movie.  I thought I'd end up being bored with the runtime but I was pretty engaged the whole time.  JLaw does a good job, as well as Edgerton and F, it's got Irons, so yea.  I really liked the sparrow training parts and thought they should've spent more time with that.  It was well done and I wanted more.  Some parts reach and drag but not too much.  I'd def recommend for anyone looking for a adult themed spy drama.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, holcs said:

Pretty solid movie.  I thought I'd end up being bored with the runtime but I was pretty engaged the whole time.  JLaw does a good job, as well as Edgerton and F, it's got Irons, so yea.  I really liked the sparrow training parts and thought they should've spent more time with that.  It was well done and I wanted more.  Some parts reach and drag but not too much.  I'd def recommend for anyone looking for a adult themed spy drama.  

Pretty much how I feel.

• Like 2