kayumanggi

RED SPARROW | 03.02.18 | Fox | Jennifer Lawrence

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yes. JLaw is the only thing that keeps it from being a bad movie.

I thought it was good, and definitely enjoyable overall - parts certainly weren't, but the "he wants power" scene and the end were very satisfying.  But maybe that is a female take on it. 

Clearly this movie won't be for everyone, but I'm not the only one who liked it.  It has been #1 for two weekends in Italy and Spain, and was #2 in Germany last weekend but #1 this past weekend.

I think it is just a matter of taste.

Red Sparrow (2018)

Red Sparrow
Theatrical Performance
Domestic Box Office $31,471,006 Details
International Box Office $51,800,000 Details
Worldwide Box Office $83,271,006  
Further financial details...

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Red-Sparrow#tab=summary

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AndyK said:

Well, I supposed somebody had to say it.

Great actress, but she's not picking the right movies.

There are a couple of things going on here.  One is it was going to be tough to penetrate this market with Black Panther sucking up all the attention.  The fact is, it opened at #2, with mixed reviews, and it's an old school spy thriller that wasn't going to appeal to the under 25 crowd which has been raised on Jason Boring and Mission Improbable. What surprised me after I saw it was that Fox didn't insist in upping the action in this, (and not only the ass-kicking kind of action, if you know what I mean).  I've read the books, and there is an opportunity for a couple of kick ass action sequences, and sex scenes, that would've perked up the proceedings a bit. 

IMO it's doing ok for what it is, and I'd argue that the only reason it is doing this well is because of Jennifer Lawrence. 

It also cost too much, and it's mostly because her salary is in the stratosphere for this level of budget.  The speculation is it was $15-$20M from what I read, and the movie was $70M to make.  She was over 25% of the budget if she got $20M.  If she wants to do these mid-level budgeted movies she needs to take less up front salary. But hey, if Fox is willing to pay, you take the money and run.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Saw this again. Really terrific movie. You just have to know the tempo of the film and what it is trying to accomplish. And you pick up details that you missed. It is a rich film, and hard to take in on one sitting. 

Edited by straggler
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, straggler said:

Saw this again. Really terrific movie. You just have to know the tempo of the film and what it is trying to accomplish. And you pick up details that you missed. It is a rich film, and hard to take in on one sitting. 

I've seen it twice, big Jlaw stan here, but yeah, I wasn't enamored of it the first time. But when I watched it the second time, just like you said, things cleared up for me, I understood it better, and she's just great in the role.

I suspect, like many of her recent movies, it's going to do very well in the secondary market as people slowly discover it through others who've seen it and liked it.  Passengers did amazing in the secondary market, it just needed to distance itself from those misguided charges of date rape and stalking the critics kept harping on so people would give it a chance.

• Like 3

THR keeps embarrassing themselves. First that "In Defense of A Turkey In Time" article and now this. Stop.

Oh, yeah, speaking of the question they asked. Leo, Tyler Perry, Chris Nolan, The Rock, Kevin Hart, Sandra Bullock, etc can open a movie. 

Edited by Valonqar

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $34,395,239    38.5%
Foreign:  $55,036,419    61.5%

Worldwide:  $89,431,658  

So, since it only had night showings last Thursday, two weeks (until tonight's shows, with today not included in the numbers above) should have it at over $90M world wide. I guess I think that IS opening a movie.

Particularly since it hasn't opened in a number of major markets yet.

Edited by trifle

On 3/15/2018 at 3:34 PM, Valonqar said:

THR keeps embarrassing themselves. First that "In Defense of A Turkey In Time" article and now this. Stop.

Oh, yeah, speaking of the question they asked. Leo, Tyler Perry, Chris Nolan, The Rock, Kevin Hart, Sandra Bullock, etc can open a movie. 

obic1.jpg