kayumanggi

RED SPARROW | 03.02.18 | Fox | Jennifer Lawrence

2 hours ago, Firepower said:

She got the same salary for Passengers + 20% from profit. Keanu Reeves & Rachel McAdams version costed 30-40 mln, when Weinstein Company was going to make it, and Sony's version with Lawrence and Pratt costed 3-4 times (!) more. That's embarrassing. Johnny Depp almost killed his carreer with crazy unreasonable salaries and the same thing can happen with Lawrence if she's going to continue like that. Big celebrities are responsible for their movies being flop too. Red Sparrow shouldn't cost 70 mln $, it's just not worth it, it could've costed and should've costed at least 1.5 times less. 20 mln $ salary for both Passengers and Red Sparrow is pure insanity. 

Lawrence took a paycut for mother!, so it wouldn't be surprising if she does another one for her next movie.

Edited by WrathOfHan

7 hours ago, Firepower said:

She got the same salary for Passengers + 20% from profit. Keanu Reeves & Rachel McAdams version costed 30-40 mln, when Weinstein Company was going to make it, and Sony's version with Lawrence and Pratt costed 3-4 times (!) more. That's embarrassing. Johnny Depp almost killed his carreer with crazy unreasonable salaries and the same thing can happen with Lawrence if she's going to continue like that. Big celebrities are responsible for their movies being flop too. Red Sparrow shouldn't cost 70 mln $, it's just not worth it, it could've costed and should've costed at least 1.5 times less. 20 mln $ salary for both Passengers and Red Sparrow is pure insanity. 

We don't know what she really got for RS, it might have been $15M, we just don't know. But $20M was her quote at the time.

Like has been said, you're selling something that doesn't have a natural appeal to a large audience, a hard R slow burn spy thriller.  You need an A-List talent to even get it made, and to sell it.  Allied is the best example of the same type of movie, and RS has out performed it across the board, and that was with Brad Pitt as the lead.  You're going to probably pay at least $10M for a lead actress in this case.  Would $59M really have made this that much more profitable?  Would you have sold as many tickets without JLaw as the lead?  Probably not.  I'll bet with a less salable actress you wind up in the exact same place.

Let me put it this way, if you swapped Alicia Vikander and Jennifer Lawrence in their roles for RS and TR, what do you think would've happened?  I think we'd be looking at better box office for TR, and much lower for RS.  There's no comparison on the draw. For most people, prior to TR, she was "Alicia Who?".  

Then there's Passengers.  That thing had awful reviews, yet it managed to make a profit in theaters, although much less than originally hoped.  It's also done very well in the secondary market, just a bit under $18M.  That's very good by today's standards.  She, and Pratt, were worth every penny they paid them.  Because without them Passengers bombs at the box office and loses money.

I think the movie cost too much due to the location shooting.  If they had cut back, shot on some sound stages, maybe they could bring this in at $50M and they'd be looking at a small profit.

Edited by ChrisTelclear
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Firepower said:

I think she earned her salary completely. There are things today that cannot be controlled, including the combination of snowflake film critics and the way RTs affects box office. Passengers made money despite being torpedoed by critics trying to kill the film. Maybe the studio was naive regarding Red Sparrow given the content and how the genre has performed. But RS will still make twice its budget and has outperformed every other film in the genre with the exception of GWTDT which had massive advantages. And Jlaw's performance was extraordinary.  

• Like 1

It doesn't help that JLaw is unlikable with regard to how she treats her fans. She admitted to purposely treating them like garbage. Sorry, when I hear stuff like that I'll just torrent her films, she's not getting my money.

Plus, she's no longer a draw. Her Katniss honeymoon has run it's course.

9 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

It doesn't help that JLaw is unlikable with regard to how she treats her fans. She admitted to purposely treating them like garbage. Sorry, when I hear stuff like that I'll just torrent her films, she's not getting my money.

lol She said that? what has she done?

28 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

In all fairness having seen how people act around celebrities she has the right idea. Also who really cares about how someone treats their fans?

Edited by AJG
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

In all fairness having seen how people act around celebrities she has the right idea. Also who really cares about how someone treats their fans?

Uhhhh trick question? I would think fans care. 

3 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

People that care deeeply about stuff like that could like someone or not like someone, they’re not gonna end up being the reason a movie flopped or performed well at the BO. 

Edited by AJG

21 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

When she's approached in restaurants she'll give fans dirty looks and she'll shoo them away. She's very unlikable.

People who approach celebrities in a restaurant and interrupt their dinner (often with friends and family) are RUDE and deserve dirty looks and to be shooed away.   That some celebrities don't only means they are far more polite and gracious than their fans.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AJG said:

People that care deeeply about stuff like that could like someone or not like someone, they’re not gonna end up being the reason a movie flopped or performed well at the BO. 

It depends I liked the JLAW of 2013 and I actively watched CF and Silver Linings because she was in it.

Now I find her rather annoying and likey wont watch Red Sparrow unless it comes on neflix or something. 

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

People who approach celebrities in a restaurant and interrupt their dinner (often with friends and family) are RUDE and deserve dirty looks and to be shooed away.   That some celebrities don't only means they are far more polite and gracious than their fans.

The issue is JLAW has built a reputation of being cold to the avg movie fan rather than being cold to rude people lol.

I am unsure if she is actually cold to her fans but that is the perception she has built lately. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

It depends I liked the JLAW of 2013 and I actively watched CF and Silver Linings because she was in it.

Now I find her rather annoying and likey wont watch Red Sparrow unless it comes on neflix or something. 

Red Sparrow was a mediocre spy film lacking action that’s why it underperformed. Mother cost way too much and was badly advertised. Passengers was garbage.

Nobody truly cares that much about how a celebrity behaves except a few people online. This girl here just needs to be in a good movie that people wanna see and it’ll do just fine, the problem is she hasn’t made one of those since Hunger Games ended.

The Jlaw hot takes. Her powah! Anyway all she said was that she attempts to establish boundaries when she is out in public. Seems reasonable. Part of what makes her fascinating is that she will say the things that most celebrities actually think but are media trained not to say, Her detractors will take issue and her fans will find her honesty endearing. 

• Like 1

Do whatever you want, but keep in mind a lot of people work on those movies, including her co-stars, it's not just her.  When you intentionally avoid "Her" movies you're hurting them more than you're hurting her, she's worth millions. Why do you think she can take a year off and not make any movies? She doesn't need the money.

17 hours ago, antovolk said:

it's out in Russia days after the domestic Blu-ray release (so piracy will be up there), I'm willing to bet the government don't even grant it a screening license like with Death of Stalin. 

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if you were right.  I think 2+ x budget is the best it is going to do in theaters, but that is hardly terrible, and as said above 57% of attendees polled went for her.  It should make money in the after market, which, with Passengers, makes her something like a catastrophe insurance policy for films that get bad reviews and have no real IP.

13 hours ago, ChrisTelclear said:

We don't know what she really got for RS, it might have been $15M, we just don't know. But $20M was her quote at the time.

Let me put it this way, if you swapped Alicia Vikander and Jennifer Lawrence in their roles for RS and TR, what do you think would've happened?  I think we'd be looking at better box office for TR, and much lower for RS.  There's no comparison on the draw. For most people, prior to TR, she was "Alicia Who?".  

We don't have to go to Alicia, look at Charlize Theron in Atomic Blonde.  She is known in the US, is an excellent actress, and is gorgeous.  However, Red Sparrow outperformed its entire run globally by RS's second week, with much worse reviews (here, overseas reviewers liked it better.)  Draw includes international draw, and I think this movie further proves that Jen has that.

2 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

It's funny that I have never ever heard a fan say something like that.  You know who did say that?  Jen herself because she is always self deprecating.  She also DOES need space in public, or she would never have a normal dinner out with friends.  She isn't 'occasionally' recognized, it is constant.  Her fans are fine with getting selfies when she is at events, where she is there for that.  People who didn't like her to begin with raise these things against her, but they didn't like her anyhow.

1 hour ago, Bishop54 said:

Fans completely understand, and hope she'll have some break time between promo tours.

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

The issue is JLAW has built a reputation of being cold to the avg movie fan rather than being cold to rude people lol.

I am unsure if she is actually cold to her fans but that is the perception she has built lately. 

Again, only with people who didn't like her before she said that in an interview last year.  And they were already a lost cause.  Amazing how invested they are in the issue, though.