kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Never once has Harry Potter even come close to an R rating

Once in DH1. Apparently, they toned down Hermione's torture in DH1 to firmly get a PG-13 without controversy. But other than that, yea...

I was just gonna ask what were the three brushes with the R rating.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Never once has Harry Potter even come close to an R rating

Oh, Ike YOU would know of all people?!

if you were involved with the franchise as far back as 2005, you would know that the graveyard scene and the Hermione torture scene/Wormtail's self-strangulation death, amongst other scenes, were edited out or heavily cut to avoid the R rating, which Goblet of Fire, Deathly Hallows Part 1, and Deathly Hallows Part 2 nearly received. It's on their IMDb trivia pages. That was a whole discussion at the 2005 Tokyo press conference for GOF. 

Go away. You saying they didn't doesn't change the fact that, um, they did. I know you're eager to patronize, honey. Sorry.

and, uh, that's not the point in any case.

Edited by Broadwayfreak66

Read all about the brushes with the R rating here: 

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=13740101

Higher ratings aside, why would a PG-13 franchise of dark fantasy films, which has films that play 65% to over 25 year olds, and markets primarily to young adult women be considered a "family" film, alongside something like The Incredibles 2 or The Nutcracker? They aren't alike. At all.

Star Wars has been primarily G (U) rated in the UK and the world over and it's a Disney franchise, but you hardly ever see it included in family film lists. And it markets to little boys. It's ridiculous. 

Edited by Broadwayfreak66

The real question about this movie to me is how it's going to do OS.

I'm not sure even half of the people in the full movie theater I was in got the Mary Poppins joke in GOTG2 and that was the English/subbed version of the movie which means that the people watching it do tend to get those American pop references more often than the bigger crowd who watches dubbed movies over here.

Heck even I barely remember Mary Poppins, it's just some semi-obscure reference to something of my childhood to me that I see popping up on the internet from time to time. My father laughed at that joke way more than me to be honest.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Arlborn said:

The real question about this movie to me is how it's going to do OS.

I'm not sure even half of the people in the full movie theater I was in got the Mary Poppins joke in GOTG2 and that was the English/subbed version of the movie which means that the people watching it do tend to get those American pop references more often than the bigger crowd who watches dubbed movies over here.

Heck even I barely remember Mary Poppins, it's just some semi-obscure reference to something of my childhood to me that I see popping up on the internet from time to time. My father laughed at that joke way more than me to be honest.

The UK and Australia will likely be the strongest markets and probably more than make up for how it does elsewhere.