kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

15 hours ago, meriodejaneiro said:

Wrong. 

In Europe MP is a very well known IP, mostly because there were also another movie stared by Julie Andrews, Gone With The Wind, settled in Europe during the war ... and Julie Andrews became very famous all around Europe because of those musical movies, for all ages, not only kids but also adults. 

So if you add Europe to the Common Wealth, you already have a bigger number of markets being keen on MP than SW 😕 Don't know about Latin America or Japan though. 

The Sound of Music..?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/30/2018 at 6:37 PM, Alli said:

Mendelson has spoken. It's OVER, folks!

I make fun of him but he was right about FB2 being the franchise killer. MPR will make tons of money and the only nomination that matters is Emily. he didn't deny that possibility, just Picture.

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The Sound of Music came out   AFTER Mary Poppins.

ANdrews won her Oscar for Poppins within a month of Music having it's world premeire.

Don’t know what the point of this response is and why it’s to me, but thanks for the info I guess. 

8 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

A musical that has very little actual storytelling? What a surprise.

Seriously, has he ever seen a Musical? They never have a big story to tell. 

Some do, some don't.

I think "My Fair Lady" had a pretty strong story to tell, as did "West Side Story".

Not if you are talking "concept musicals" you have a point.......

Problem is people here have not really seen a lot of musicals. Just the more recnet ones, which do tend to have a weak story. That is not true of a lot of the classic musicals.

Disney wants presence in the Oscar game without having to deviate from their safe and inoffensive for 7-77 formula and they are going to get there this year with at least 1 movie. And after that, they are going to have nominees and some winners every year. Once you have foot in the door, you are bound to get in. 

I don't mind cause at least winners will be seen unlike the usual crop of AMPAS wins that nobody cares to check out before and after the win. 

Also, Disney will not win Animated. That's Sony's. 

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Also, Disney will not win Animated. That's Sony's. 

i think disney will probably win with incredibles. i just think there are voters who are super lazy w/ that category and that's how stuff like brave and big hero 6 wins and they'll be predisposed to be dismissive of a spider-man cartoon.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2018 at 12:00 AM, dudalb said:

This whole  "No One Knows Who Mary Poppins Is" argument is so stupid it's not worth answering.

You can make the same argument about just about eveny movie ever made that is more then 20 years old.

people have heard of Mary Poppins, but I doubt much of this generation have seen it. It's very old