One of the very few things I'm (slightly) afraid of is - yes, heights, it's only natural - so I was a bit uncomfortable in the last, thrilling third. First two thirds were predictably slow and boring - but not that bad, because film is just pretty wacky - and I can get behind that.

Obviously 95% of the public can't, though.

• Like 1

I have to say the reviews did not help the movie either. Most of the reviews said the same thing "The movie is okay for the first 2/3rds and springs into life once he steps on the wire". But audiences can't pay one-third the ticket price to watch just the final scene.

• Like 1

Nothing really drew people into the film. The Martian was out no one was screaming about this film despite its decent WOM. When people also think about a plot centering around the World Trade Center is usually unappealing to audiences because of the events of 9/11.

One point someone brought up in the weekend thread was how the only thing they could think about when looking at the final scene in the movie is that this was the view many people saw as they plummeted to their death on 9/11. I think a lot of people may have had such associations with the movie as well. The WTC and 9/11 are understandably emotional issues for plenty of people.

What about OS? It is bombing there as well. 

• Like 1

Actually the heart of the movie is the first 2/3. That's where Zemeckis kinda revives his old-school traditional "charm" that made him huge once.  Sure all the buildup is for the last act, but it's not the only thing there worth mentioning. 

I felt it went on a bit too long though. I know I was ready for him to start the actual walk 20 minutes before the movie gets to that point.

Not a compelling story. I personally have no interest in daredevil stories. I was not compelled to watch the guy walk across Niagara Falls nor was I compelled to see this movie. And that is very odd for me. I see pretty much anything and everything that I can and this is one movie that I will be avoiding completely.

I think this is pretty much it. The story is interesting and cool as an article or a documentary subject, but as a movie it is very slight. I watched it last night because the only other option was Pixels. I didn't hate it, I fould it mostly decent but I was thinking the whole time "Why this story is a 2-hour movie?". 

• Like 1

I think after The Martian moved up to the first weekend of October this movie should've moved, and it could've done much better. That movie got a lot more attention in the coming weeks before it's release, and The Walk was pretty much ignored. I have a feeling that Labor Day weekend would've been a better release date, considering how barren early September was.

• Like 1

No, this should've been a lot bigger in theory. It may not even make that modest budget back

Exactly I remember seeing the first trailer for this like last forever ago. the way this was marketed as an IMAX event film it should have done a lot better. heck for a time I thought $100m was a possibility. but yeah the story just doesn't appeal to mass audiences, and it's too competitive right now. I mean I want to see it, but I ended up seeing "The Martian" a second time this weekend. and I don't know if I'll get around to it as Bridge of Spies comes out next weekend. and Steve Jobs after (my most anticipated film until Star Wars comes out)