kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

http://deadline.com/2017/01/paramount-pictures-china-shanghai-film-group-huahua-media-one-billion-dollar-slate-financing-1201889562/

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures has made its most significant long-term alliance in China since Viacom chief Shari Redstone nixed a 49% stake sale to Dalian Wanda for $4.9 billion last year. The studio has closed deals with Shanghai Film Group Corp and Beijing-based Huahua Media for those companies to fund 25% or more of the studio’s entire film slate for the next three years, with an option for a fourth.

The deal is worth a potential $1 billion in slate funds, which is retroactive to Par’s fourth-quarter films. It extends a relationship between the studio and Chinese companies that already was growing. The deal also will help Paramount with the release and marketing of its films in China. Shanghai United, the country’s second-largest distributor, will be very involved in assisting Paramount with the dating and distribution of its movies in China going forward. The prospect of a team-up in co-productions of Chinese films also is being eyed. ...

Films in the Shanghai Film Group/Huahua Media slate deal include this weekend’s opener xXx: The Return of Xander Cage, for which both companies previously signed on as investors. The deal also encompasses funding of such upcoming films as the Darren Aronofsky-directed thriller with Jennifer Lawrence starring; the 2019 CGI animated family film Amusement Park; and the Rupert Sanders-directed Scarlett Johansson-starrer Ghost in the Shell, set for March release. It also encompasses Paramount’s franchises that include Mission: Impossible, Transformers, a new Top Gun and a World War Z sequel that’s expected to reunite Brad Pitt with director David Fincher.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Aronoski is a fantastic actor s director so here s to hope for a landmark Jlaw performance.

I would love to see her playing a villain in a Fincher movie, her scenes in Passengers, when she found out the truth gave me chills, she is definitely able to make a great and iconic villain.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

I think the release date is great btw. If the movie is any good can generate and carry Oscar buzz from mid-October.

They could premiere the film in a festival in September like Tiff, Telluride or Venice Film festival.

I really hope they will do festivals!  I understand Aronofsky has a record with the Venice Film Festival, and people have speculated he might launch it then.

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Can we please get some damn movies in August and September?

Seriously.  It's glut or famine.

Could @CJohn or some other mod please update the title to this thread to reflect the October 13 2017 release date?

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

“mother!” will face off against “The Snowman,” a thriller with Michael Fassbender;

J lawrence VS Rebecca Ferguson!!!   I know who i'm gonna root for. heheh...but mother will win. i'm sure it will be a good movie. arofonsky never disappoints.

• Like 2