WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates: Goosebumps - 23.5M; The Martian - 21.5M; Bridge of Spies - 15.4M; Crimson Peak - 12.9M (Page 1)

I honestly feel bad. Del Toro is a great director and it's a shame to see how badly his films are doing at the box office (worldwide too). At this point though, he should probably choose a property that's already had a built-in audience and has the potential to appeal to a larger demographic. Only then will find big success.

So what will be the "adult" movies breakouts of the season ?

I consider a breakout around 70-80m by the way, stop obsessing with the 100m  mark people, it s bad for your skin.

Big breakout is around 120-130m + ...

Steve Jobs ?

Joy ?

Revenant ?

Spotlight ?

Truth ?

Carol ?

Suffragette ?

Room ?

Hateful Eight ?

The Big Short ?

Danish Gurl ?

Place your bets for I have no clue.

Even though a movie like Room is so small that a small bo take would make it a success, it s all relative to the size of the movie.

Joy, The Revenant and Concussion

I think Hateful Eight doesn't look as good as Django, they shouldn't be opening it so close to The Revenant which has a bigger star and trailer looks better as well.

I honestly feel bad. Del Toro is a great director and it's a shame to see how badly his films are doing at the box office (worldwide too). At this point though, he should probably choose a property that's already had a built-in audience and has the potential to appeal to a larger demographic. Only then will find big success.

Nah he should do something small, with a budget under 10M. Do it the MNS way. 

So based on that Crimson Peak number, RIP Pacific Rim 2. It's still kind of amazing that a movie which was Robots vs. Monsters got ignored by the general audience. You'd think there would be some curiosity at the least.

Was Crimson Peak doing well a requirement to PR2 existing? (Maybe to Universal; I'm sure Thomas Tull would be desperate enough for franchises to make it no matter what...)

Ppl used to say the same thing about MNS and Ridley......

MNS funded The Visit and now while Blumhouse is funding his next movie it will cost less than 5M.

Ridley is different because The Martian succeeded. 

they shouldn't be opening it so close to The Revenant which has a bigger star and trailer looks better as well.

In Tarantino movies it's always Tarantino who is the star. And compared to Leo he is a very different star. Don't think the revenant will affect H8ful that much. 

the second is gdt's best movie. honestly don't remember much about the first except that cool gasmask guy.

Good to hear, I managed to get them both. I went to 5 different HMV's and 3 CEX's to try and find the second movie. It's been discontinued in the UK apparently.

So what will be the "adult" movies breakouts of the season ?

I consider a breakout around 70-80m by the way, stop obsessing with the 100m mark people, it s bad for your skin.

Big breakout is around 120-130m + ...

Steve Jobs ?

Joy ?

Revenant ?

Spotlight ?

Truth ?

Carol ?

Suffragette ?

Room ?

Hateful Eight ?

The Big Short ?

Danish Gurl ?

Place your bets for I have no clue.

Even though a movie like Room is so small that a small bo take would make it a success, it s all relative to the size of the movie.

1) The Revenant

2) Hateful 8

3) Joy

4) Jobs

None other is breaking out. The first three should pass 100m. Jobs should get a 25-30m OW and get to something close to 85-90.