kayumanggi

Weekend estimates: 15.90 M THE MARTIAN | 15.50 M GOOSEBUMPS | 11.37 M BOS | 10.83 M TLWH | 9.00 M HT II | 8.20 M PA: TGD | 7.27 M STEVE JOBS

Most of the films that are doing poorly this month don't surprise me but the two that just don't make sense to me are The Walk and Steve Jobs... Solid marketing campaigns, strong reviews, large spectacle in the case of The Walk, one of the most well known people of our time being the subject matter for Steve Jobs. Why aren't people interested?

• Like 1

Most of the films that are doing poorly this month don't surprise me but the two that just don't make sense to me are The Walk and Steve Jobs... Solid marketing campaigns, strong reviews, large spectacle in the case of The Walk, one of the most well known people of our time being the subject matter for Steve Jobs. Why aren't people interested?

The Walk didn't really have good marketing but I don't understand why Jobs is bombing. 

The subject of The Walk isn't enough to make a movie interesting, I don't know what you could get out of the movie that you couldn't get from watching the documentary or even just reading about it.

In the case of Steve Jobs, he's just not the right person to make the focus of a film. There's nothing in particular about his story which would draw people to want to watch a movie about him.

Edited by Caesar

The reviews for Steve Jobs declined considerably since it's initial festival run. Its director isn't a big name to people. It's lead actor has terrible levels of recognition among the general public (lol @ Aaron Sorkin calling it in the email leaks). The reviews are good but not TSN great. 

• Like 1

So PA6 will finish with about 15 million. It's a terrific movie what is also very fitting that is going to tank like this after they just milk it for all it's worth and pissed off its fanbase. As for Jobs, no one really cares all that much about seeing his story again. The last Jobs movie with Ashton was just fine so why do i need to see it again. As for Murray's latest i didnt know this waz coming out until last week. Zero marketing.

Ill be seeing BOS tonight.

Thankfully November looks strong.  I'm predicting

1.Mockingjay Part 2 - 150 / 375m DOM

2.The Good Dinosaur - 80m (105m 5 day) / 360m DOM

3.Spectre - 75m / 240m DOM

4.The Night Before - 30m / 145m DOM

5.Creed - 25m / 100m DOM

6.The Peanuts Movie - 20m / 90m DOM

Then December looks overall strong as well

1.Star Wars 7 - 215m / 770m

2.Joy - 25m / 145m

3.In the Heart of the Sea - 30m / 110m

4.Daddy's Home - 20m / 80m

5.Krampus - 25m / 70m

6.Sisters - 10m / 55m

7.Chipmunks - 7.5m / 35m

Everything seems as if it either hits big this year or completely misses.

Theres not many modest hits.  

I think we're getting closer to a time when smaller movies will be released through streaming platforms with limited theater releases and what's released in theaters is limited to blockbusters and the bigger comedies and dramas.

#SpielbergWasRight?

#SpielbergWasRight?

Spielberg producing JW and the Transformers should know what he's talking about. :P

The era when many non Oscar run dramas and more adult skewing films had long runs and very good box office was also a time when a wide releases weren't that wide and movies were given time to build word of mouth before having most of their screens slashed.  Unless Award season is providing the publicity it's become prohibitively expensive to open wide and pay for that amount of marketing and even most of those films open small and then go wide.  A movie like Grand Budapest Hotel that opened outside of Award Season opened small and rolled out slowly and never reached 1500 theaters but built solid B.O with great WOM without requiring a big marketing budget.  Chef did the same on a smaller scale.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2