CJohn

Dora and the Lost City of Gold | August 9, 2019 | Paramount | Live-Action Adaptation | James Bobin directing | Isabela Moner to play Dora

1 hour ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

I freaking hate people sexualizing this movie because of Isabela Moner. Treating this kid movie as a channel of venting out their dark sexual desires? Go home, a bunch of pedophiles. 

Who is doing that besides one critic?

On 8/6/2019 at 11:38 AM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Not really, how many movies these days star 7 year olds as the lead? In the later versions of the show, Dora is apparently 10-11 years old but you don't get that many movies starring kids that age either, especially not action movies. Lower budget comedies or awards dramas, maybe.

It might not have been a bad idea to make a movie cheap, have middle school-ish actors and if it's a success, they could've cranked out a sequel or two before Dora and friends are obviously adults. But a high school story is a safer bet to Hollywood. The Harry Potter movies probably only got to keep the characters as tweens when it started because the books were so popular already, and Rowling had a lot of power compared to most creators. 

Yep. Percy Jackson for example aged up the characters when they made the movie. Movies like High school musical were aimed at kids but featured teenagers in the roles. It’s not something brand new. 

9 hours ago, ban1o said:

Weirdos on social media are reddit are 

Ah. Would explain why I was completely unaware. I don't venture over to reddit. Hell I'm not on social media anymore! What a breath of fresh air!

One disturbing thing I have become aware of though is multiple people mentioning something about pedophile symbols on the movie poster. The only reason I'm not completely disregarding it is it just so happens I recently learned about the big, horrible secret in Hollywood right now: rampant pedophilia! I was led to the topic after watching a video on Youtube about the circumstances around Heath Ledger's death. I was so disturbed and emotional that night I couldn't sleep.

18 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Ah. Would explain why I was completely unaware. I don't venture over to reddit. Hell I'm not on social media anymore! What a breath of fresh air!

One disturbing thing I have become aware of though is multiple people mentioning something about pedophile symbols on the movie poster. The only reason I'm not completely disregarding it is it just so happens I recently learned about the big, horrible secret in Hollywood right now: rampant pedophilia! I was led to the topic after watching a video on Youtube about the circumstances around Heath Ledger's death. I was so disturbed and emotional that night I couldn't sleep.

ummmm.......yeah I'm not a conspiracy person so yeah..moving on

Why in God’s name are people here talking about how other random people are apparently sexualizing Isabel Moner? Do there really need to be these kinds of conversations on a forum for a movie based off a Nick Jr. cartoon? Is people sexualizing Isabel Moner really such a rampant thing on the internet, outside of that creepy review by Todd McCarthy?

Edited by WittyUsername

4 minutes ago, ban1o said:

.....Anyway to lighten this thread up this surprisingly has an 80% on RT. It might go down but that's a good sign. I wonder if this can beat Hobbs and Shaw next weekend? 

That would be very impressive for something that, in all honesty, looks like a made for TV movie. 

On 8/5/2019 at 7:51 PM, ban1o said:

I think it will end up in the 60's or 70's. Based on the reviews it was better than the marketing and it's a fun adventure film. But I don't think good reviews will really help he film that much. 

30 minutes ago, ban1o said:

.....Anyway to lighten this thread up this surprisingly has an 80% on RT. It might go down but that's a good sign. I wonder if this can beat Hobbs and Shaw next weekend? 

TOMATOMETER 80%

• Average Rating: 6.36/10
  • Total Count: 20
  • Fresh: 16
  • Rotten: 4

Only 20 votes for now, seems not a lot considering its so time-near to its release.

I now mostly counts for the big budgets so near to the release, small releases not considered as Oscar material usually get less reviews (in a big way less).

I have never heard about the character before stumbling over it here at BOT, curious to see where it all ends (ratings, audience, BO,...)

7 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Only 20 votes for now, seems not a lot considering its so time-near to its release.

I now mostly counts for the big budgets so near to the release, small releases not considered as Oscar material usually get less reviews (in a big way less).

I have never heard about the character before stumbling over it here at BOT, curious to see where it all ends (ratings, audience, BO,...)

The cartoon was probably one of the biggest kids  shows  on tv for a while. But maybe it's not as popular in Europe. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

That would be very impressive for something that, in all honesty, looks like a made for TV movie. 

It would, but weirdly enough I'd only be mildly surprised. I've said this before, but it genuinely looks like a fun little flick.

2 hours ago, ban1o said:

The cartoon was probably one of the biggest kids  shows  on tv for a while. But maybe it's not as popular in Europe. 

1. I never watched any kid show in my time 

2. at my time there was no Nikckelodeon Studio 😊.

The original Jungle Book was my first movie then ;-) 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

1. I never watched any kid show in my time 

2. at my time there was no Nikckelodeon Studio 😊.

The original Jungle Book was my first movie then 😉

Thank you for sharing that riveting piece of information with us

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 6