Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

21 minutes ago, StevenG said:

True. Whether its Wonder Woman, BP, JL or IW, its always the same ole third act greenscreen fight with lots of fire, explosions, things zooming/flying by, energy beams, and badly rendered bodies hitting each other. Its like they run out of budget at that point or something...

IW looked glorious throughout

• Like 2

Franchises and VFX houses Wars

Star Wars : ILM, d'uh !!! and a few other houses like Hybride.

Lord of the Rings/Hobbit/Every Film involving Peter Jackson or a (talking) monkey ( hi Caesar !) : Weta Digital

MCU : EVERYBOY works for the MCU, the only jarring exception is MPC, the biggest VFX company in the world right now in terms of size who only worked on one MCU film : the first Guardians for which they did the last big 3rd act battle and they worked on Groot.

DCEU, Snyder produced movies have all been done by the same big 4 since Man of Steel : Weta, Dneg, MPC and Scanline VFX (which were the lead house on  Justice League :ph34r:) and a few others.

ILM entered the VFX superhero game quite late in the game, they never did a superhero movie until the first Iron Man (2008) ( Rocketeer counts ?).

ILM never worked on Spiderman (Sony Pictures Imageworks worked on all of them) and the X-Men movies for example.

Now that ILM is Disney's, they work on almost every MCU movie.

This december, ILM will work on their first DC movie, Aquaman.

Transformers : ILM with a little help from Digital Domain and now MPC and a few others.

Interestingly, 3 franchises that "belonged" to ILM where given to other houses as time went by :

Pirates Movies : ILM on the first 3, other houses on 4&5 but MPC mainly.

Star Trek : I think they worked on most Star Trek movies until the last one where the superb giant space station sequence was done by Dneg.

Pacific Rim : An ILM joint at 80%, second movie was done mainly by Dneg.

Christopher Nolan always worked with Dneg on all his movies.

Spielberg is a traitor, he "left" ILM at the end of the 2000's, he re-teamed recently with them for the godawful Ready Player One : sad story. He's not a stand up guy.

James Cameron created Digital Domain, which he left because they were idiots according to him, unable to fullfill his Na'vi wet dreams in the 90's.

He has now made Weta Digital his bitch and he is probably bi-curious with Peter Jackson, who created Weta after he saw Terminator 2, Cameron went to Weta Digital after he saw  Gollum in The Two Towers :  Circle of Life, folks.

The current Monster movies from Warner.

Godzilla : MPC & Dneg mainly.

Kong : ILM, mainly.

Who will do which monster in Godzilla vs Kong ?

Edited by The Futurist

2 hours ago, Hades said:

Surely this can't be ILM can it??. I feel ILM  are just wasted on Marvel and Star Wars films...They seem to be getting bored and lazy....The lack of post production time is not helping.

If you don't have a slave master like James Cameron cracking the whip you get bad results. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2018 at 11:02 PM, Barnack said:

What is the source of that ?,  I am a bit curious how can something be factual and not be a more precise number than this, either we know Disney budgeted box office or we do not ? No ?

Maybe it was 2 recent big franchise example that we got just before Last Jedi, Spectre and Fate 8 movie franchise also coming from obvious local peak for them.

Bond: 1,108->880, without China 1048.77 -> 796.5 Adjusted for inflation 1082.68->796.5 (26.5% drop)

Fast  : 1,516->1,236, without China 1,125 -> 843 Adjusted for inflation 1,163.5->843 (27.5% drop)

Awaken legs were so good than a bit worst than those above outside China could have been reasonably expected

Awaken 1.95b outside China adjust to 2.01b in 2017.

A similar to Bond/Fast drop of 27% would have push it to 1.266b outside China, I think most expected last Jedi to not do better than Awaken in the China. With the first one legs and Rogue One legs, market even a bit worst say a bit above Rogue one for a 80m China bo.

that make 1.266 + 80m = 1.34b, that a 35% dip.

Sony had budgeted a 764m performance for Spectre, a 31% drop with an expected grow in China.

Well you do have to account for TLJ haven better ER than TFA, not counting china isn't the best comparison. TLJ has just as much chance to expand or keep its audience like those other movies. Because that way you can just exclude countries that rejected the Franchise to paint a better picture. Like you said ‘expected growth in China’ TLJ couldn’t even do that, it dropped from R1 a spin off, they just rejected it completely and SW will have a hard time to get it back. (Solo’s multi was better than the multi for TLJ).

If you adjust for inflation you should also take in to account the ER, ER was down big time for Spectre. Don’t know if the ER was a problem for FF8.

I get what you are saying but still I don't think dropping over 30% is ever good for a franchise. Still for SW it's been a tradition that the second movie drops 35% (My biggest problem was that the legs weren't good, but then again it was a sequel but didn't have the hype of TFA and the urgency).  

If the final chapter doesn't get above 1.5B TLJ will have made a dent in the SW brand I think. (It's normal for the final SW to make a rebound).

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Christopher McQuarrie (Mission: Impossible 5 and 6) says he'll never make a Star Wars movie because of the toxic fandom. Here's hoping more people join in taking a stand.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/star-wars-loses-potential-director-thanks-to-fan-harassment

The problem with such a stand is that a good chunk of that toxic fandom is actively wanting the franchise to collapse.  A large percentage of established name directors opting out of ever directing one of the movies is an incremental step towards that goal.

But there would be a sweet tinge of irony to Rian Johnson ending up directing the majority of them for the foreseeable future due to a lack of takers.

17 minutes ago, manny1234 said:

@IronJimbo @JamesCameronScholar @Pure Spirit You might like this:

Yeah this video goes to shit around the 9 minute mark.

”I find it strange that a woman can look sexy but reject the advances of men. It’s like she lives just to reject men. Why would you even look attractive if you reject every man that hits in you? Aliens works because Ripley isn’t hot and she doesn’t objectify herself”.

The point should’ve been that Ripley looks realistic for the role she plays rather than be made to look like a model in an army costume so that the men in the audience can ogle her. Instead he gets into some weird shit.

2 hours ago, pepsa said:

Well you do have to account for TLJ haven better ER than TFA, not counting china isn't the best comparison. TLJ has just as much chance to expand or keep its audience like those other movies. Because that way you can just exclude countries that rejected the Franchise to paint a better picture. Like you said ‘expected growth in China’ TLJ couldn’t even do that, it dropped from R1 a spin off, they just rejected it completely and SW will have a hard time to get it back. (Solo’s multi was better than the multi for TLJ).

The talk was about how much Disney budgeted/projected TLJ to do, that is me estimating Disney knew the franchise was rejected and not expected it to growth from Awaken there, not a judgement value if TLJ should have or not made better in that market. The fact the person never gave is Disney source in response (if I didn't miss it), went into my intuition here, that we do not know that Disney projection.

2 hours ago, pepsa said:

If the final chapter doesn't get above 1.5B TLJ will have made a dent in the SW brand I think. (It's normal for the final SW to make a rebound).

I think that is probable, the hook is not similar to the previous final trilogy entry I suppose.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

So, in anticipation of Alita, I watched Strange Days last night to see what a Jim movie looks like without Jim directing. Verdict:

1) Alita will have an amazing screenplay and be well worth the watch, ahead of its time, and probably an immediate cult hit. This will not be a ghost in the shell situation. Strange Days hooked me from the start and kept me up way past my bedtime.

2) His screenplays run long and lean, expect at least 2.5 packed hours. This is likely why Alita got pushed back.

3) The director, no matter how talented, may focus on the wrong things (edginess, stylism, etc.) and cause the movie to bomb commercially. Only Jim has the magic touch to turn blue alien smurfs into a $2.7B hit. Fortunately Jim has more pull now and might get involved in the marketing. Strange Days did not deserve to flop, it's one of the most memorable movies of its year, and one of the best sci-fi noirs of all time. But man, the movie name and movie poster do not sell you on what an experience the movie is.

4) Jim has an almost uncanny ability to see the future. Strange Days is simultaneously the best movie ever made about BLM (20 years before BLM), and its insights about VR/smartphone addiction were also decades ahead of its time. Cameron is on my shortlist of possible time-travelers.

5) EDIT: Something else I noticed, Jim movies manage to have very strong women that are still feminine (not just women written as a man). Strange Days is no exception. And I actually cared about the romance in Strange Days, there's a twist that sneaks up on you and really makes you reflect.

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Christopher McQuarrie (Mission: Impossible 5 and 6) says he'll never make a Star Wars movie because of the toxic fandom. Here's hoping more people join in taking a stand.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/star-wars-loses-potential-director-thanks-to-fan-harassment

syfy a trash website and should be ignored for calling fans toxic

Chris M also said he is now good not ever making a superhero film too, he apparently does not want to deal with any fandoms

So now no DC films for CM either

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Horner said:

The problem with such a stand is that a good chunk of that toxic fandom is actively wanting the franchise to collapse.  A large percentage of established name directors opting out of ever directing one of the movies is an incremental step towards that goal.

But there would be a sweet tinge of irony to Rian Johnson ending up directing the majority of them for the foreseeable future due to a lack of takers.

Well that would certainly hasten the collapse lol

• Like 2

Is Rian Johnson the most embarrassing franchise tentpole director of all time? Snyder took a ton of heat for his movies, especially BvS, but he was never a passive-aggressive sniveling baby like Rian has become.

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pure Spirit said:

Is Rian Johnson the most embarrassing franchise tentpole director of all time? Snyder took a ton of heat for his movies, especially BvS, but he was never a passive-aggressive sniveling baby like Rian has become.

weird cause he mostly ignored the trolls when TLJ first came out and now suddenly he's like responding to every slight.. dude should probably get off twitter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pure Spirit said:

yes Rian is coming off as big man baby, trying to feed his ego among his film bros

he is actively making the situation worse

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

Is Rian Johnson the most embarrassing franchise tentpole director of all time?

Of course not, for example he doesn't the massive (unearned) ego of a James Gunn. Dude has "directed" two MCU movies and thinks he is the new Cameron.

But maybe Johnson should stop trolling the trolls for a while. Then again, social media are here to stay; maybe this attitude will become more common if some "fans" remain so hateful.

• Haha 2