Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

People who watch Inception, Interstellar or dunkirk will know they are watching a Nolan film, whereas many people watch Titanic or AVatar without knowing James Cameron

The love to Nolan is much more passionate than James Cameron but Cameron know how to make a film that appeal to every level without getting people to know him. 

You can randomly walked into the countryside of India and China, doing "I am flying“ posture to some 40s or 50s non-english speakers there and people will still get that reference. While Nolan don't command that level of appealing. So to speak, 

• Like 2

People love Nolan this much only because of The Dark Knight obsession. 

I can bet if hadn't done Dark Knight he wouldn't be so popular he is today. 

James Cameron on the othee hand is who makes IP by himself. 

Terminator, True Lies, Titanic, Aliens and Avatar. 

It's ridiculous that people even compare Cameron and Nolan

Cameron is known as the King of Hollywood

The popularity of Cameron overseas is just insane. 

31 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Titanic is fair but Avatar's success had nothing to do with Cameron's name as a draw, people went to see that because of the 3D gimmick. 

ah yes the old "Avatar only made 2.79 billion because it was in 3d".

I'll give you some clues about what actually made Avatar successful. Hey speaking of Nolan, let's see what he had to say about Avatar:

I’ve seen work in 3D like Avatar that’s exciting. But, for me, what was most exciting about Avatar was the creation of a world, the use of visual effects, motion capture, performance capture, these kinds of things. I don’t think Avatar can be reduced to its 3D component, it had so much more innovation going on that’s extremely exciting.

And besides that, do you really think that no one was aware that Avatar was made by the director who had made the biggest movie of all time?

• Thanks 2

People just like to diss on James Cameron specially the CBM fans. 

Nolan is seen Jesus Christ by CBM fandom because he directed the Dark Knight. 

James Cameron achievement are much broader and higher than Nolan. I am sure even Nolan knows that. 

I can bet if Nolan hadn't made Batman Trilogy, you all would be shitting on him just like Martin Scorsese and James Cameron

Todd Philips and Nolan the God and Savior of Cinema. 

Martin Scorsese and James Cameron whiny old men. 👏👏👏👏👏

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

People who watch Inception, Interstellar or dunkirk will know they are watching a Nolan film, whereas many people watch Titanic or AVatar without knowing James Cameron

The love to Nolan is much more passionate than James Cameron but Cameron know how to make a film that appeal to every level without getting people to know him. 

You can randomly walked into the countryside of India and China, doing "I am flying“ posture to some 40s or 50s non-english speakers there and people will still get that reference. While Nolan don't command that level of appealing. So to speak, 

There's a lot of recency bias when it comes to Nolan because he was much more active than Cameron in recent years. But when the marketing machine gets going for Avatar 2, and when you see everywhere from JAMES CAMERON director of THE TERMINATOR, ALIENS, TITANIC, AVATAR etc. it'll mean something to much more people than you might think. Saying only Nolan's name has that power is silly.

I agree, a lot of people go to Cameron's movies without knowing who he is, but that's also true for Nolan. Nolan's movie do well because they look great, are well reviewed, good WOM etc. Inception his is highest non-batman movie, and part of that was because it looked like a fantastic visual experience which works well with the GA, and also it had Leo. Interstellar was less in-your-face about the visuals, looked more like a realistic space exploration movie, and thus made less. Dunkirk looked great, but it also looked like a dour war movie which isn't for everyone and made even less

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

But that's what DC fandom is doing. Go to twitter Phillips is considered God by fandom. 

You and that guy with the daredevil profile photo are so obsessed with "DC fandom", like who fucking cares what they have to say lmfao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

But that's what DC fandom is doing. Go to twitter Phillips is considered God by fandom. 

It's because of this:

skynews-venice-film-festival_4768216.jpg

Joker could win 0 award from now on, and would still be the most acclaimed "superhero" movie ever!

3 hours ago, RealLyre said:

Titanic is fair but Avatar's success had nothing to do with Cameron's name as a draw, people went to see that because of the 3D gimmick. 

They went first and foremost because people were absolutely captivated by the world, story, and characters.

Yes, yes, Smurfs in space with a dash of Pocohantas...doesn't change the fact that audiences around the world were absorbed by it. Love or hate Cameron, but don't be an idiot when it comes to dismissing why Avatar was a huge success.

If all the people you know dislike Avatar, then I think it's necessary for you to shut down the computer, leave the basement, and actually sit with people in the real world. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Martin Scorsese and James Cameron whiny old men. 👏👏👏👏👏

You can’t compare Scorsese to Cameron. Scorsese is whiny because his movies do not justify the big budgets that he wants for them. So he acts like a whiny baby, and fanboys and haters eat it up. James Cameron is not whiny at all. His movies get the big budgets that he asks for because they make big money at the box office. James Cameron has absolutely nothing to whine about, and he shouldn’t be lumped in with Scorsese.

• ...wtf 1

I was thinking of what a potential potter sequel saga first entry would do

I'm giving it Deathly Hallows part 2 gross inflation adjusted +15% attendance + adding on extra for a stronger china

$550 million domestic
$1.5 billion overseas + $300 million china = $1.8 billion

So I have it coming out to a $2.3-2.4 Billion run worldwide

This is if it released in the current market

Edited by darthdevidem01
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

41 minutes ago, Noctis said:

They went first and foremost because people were absolutely captivated by the world, story, and characters.

so they didn't go because they like Cameron? thanks for proving my point. (and I don't even dislike Avatar or Cameron as a director)

Nolan made an unorthodox character light war movie gross 500M+ WW. if the same movie was made by someone else it wouldn't have made nearly as much.  The same thing doesn't apply for James Cameron who only directed like 2 films since I was born. 

1 hour ago, Walt Disney said:

So he acts like a whiny baby, and fanboys and haters eat it up

Yes, everyone who brings up legitimate issues with the state of theatrical distribution today is a fanboy and a hater. Brilliant observation as always Walt Disney!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

Nolan made an unorthodox character light war movie gross 500M+ WW. if the same movie was made by someone else it wouldn't have made nearly as much.  

Yeah Dunkirk is clearly not character driven, but other than that it's a pretty straightforward retelling of a war event. Not too destabilizing for an audience looking for a war movie. Besides, they made a huge deal with the format being used, it was something you had to see in a theater on IMAX. A good deal of that box office is due to that, not to his name. 

so they didn't go because they like Cameron? thanks for proving my point. (and I don't even dislike Avatar or Cameron as a director)

I hope I'm not teaching you anything, but people can go to a movie for different reasons. And when a movie makes 2.79 billion, you can be sure there was more than 1 reason. Let's say 10% of the people went to see Avatar because it's from James Cameron, that's still 279M on just his name. And let's say 50% of the people went to see Dunkirk because it's from Nolan (and I'm being way too generous on Nolan), that's a little more than 260M on his name, still less than Cameron. 

The same thing doesn't apply for James Cameron who only directed like 2 films since I was born. 

So you're still in your 20s. Yeah Nolan probably means more to people in their 20s than James Cameron. But guess what, there's not only people in their 20s who go see movies. There's people in their 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s... get it? For all those age groups Cameron is the bigger name. And I'm not talking about reddit here, or letterboxd or whatever that fuck, I'm talking about the world at large.

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, TMP said:

Yes, everyone who brings up legitimate issues with the state of theatrical distribution today is a fanboy and a hater. Brilliant observation as always Walt Disney!

Whining that you can’t get the big budget that you want for your movie is not a legitimate issue. It’s being unrealistic. And the people that support that stance are mostly haters (and some fanboys). Glad we agree that I am right. But getting back on-topic, that has nothing to do with James Cameron. He gets big budgets because his movies make big money.