Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

49 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I am not even sure of WTF is going on with Marvel [Comics].

Last thing I remember there was some sort of alternate-reality company-wide crossover that reset all comics (?)...or am I misremembering???

I think the same thing is going on with DC (or maybe I have not been paying attention).

Nah. DC Rebirth is laser sharp amazing. What we are seeing unfold within DC Comics is very much what I believe it's Geoff Johns masterplan to save not just DC, but the DCEU itself. Seriously, read The Button (Batman and Flash crossover) and get ready for Doomsday Clock, I haven't been this excited for an "event" since Hickman's Infinity, and that was gold. Marvel... I'm not even sure where to start. It's a mess. Captain America is not really Captain America but a nazi turned Hydra follower turned good because the Allies used a cosmic cube to make Steve good. That's literally what they are going with. What's more? Black Widow is dead, killed by the "real" Steve Rogers that was captured by the "changed" Steve Rogers in Secret Empire. Rick Jones is also dead. Las Vegas was destroyed. Ultron is ruling Alaska. Basically, the "changed" Captain America and Marvel Comics reality is just a deviation of what actually canonically happened within the Marvel universe: Captain America is only a good man because of the cosmic cube, not because he is a good man. Marvel Comics painted itself into a literal corner. There's nothing what they can do now than literally planning a soft reboot of sorts. Secret Empire is the Marvel event equivalent of an atomic bomb Clone Saga that literally tarnished Captain America's legacy in Jack Kirby's 100th anniversary. Marvel Comics other than Amazing Spider-Man is literally dead to me right now. Words cannot describe the amount of anger I'm feeling right now. I'm livid. 

That's why I take offense when you say stuff like Disney / Marvel Studios sanatizes Marvel characters, Cocho. That's completely fat wrong and a lie, and you know better. Marvel Studios understands these characters and what makes them tick, they aren't interested in reinventions of these characters into something edgy just because.

VERY MUCH LIKE PATTY JENKINS WONDER WOMAN. 

VERY MUCH LIKE DC COMICS REBIRTH.

Do you know what is Marvel Comics right now though? Hot takes and deconstructions of superheroes just because the writers are literally trying to destroy Marvel Comics from within. Marvel Comics is Zack Snyder's DCEU on steroids and stupider. That was NEVER what ANY of those characters stand for. And that literally almost makes me wanna cry. Not from sadness. Fucking rage. 

Edited by iJackSparrow
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Nah. DC Rebirth is laser sharp amazing. What we are seeing unfold within DC Comics is very much what I believe it's Geoff Johns masterplan to save not just DC, but the DCEU itself. Seriously, read The Button (Batman and Flash crossover) and get ready for Doomsday Clock, I haven't been this excited for an "event" since Hickman's Infinity, and that was gold. Marvel... I'm not even sure where to start. It's a mess. Captain America is not really Captain America but a nazi turned Hydra follower turned good because the Allies used a cosmic cube to make Steve good. That's literally what they are going with. What's more? Black Widow is death, killed by the "real" Steve Rogers that was captured by the "changed" Steve Rogers in Secret Wars. Rick Jones is also dead. Las Vegas was destroyed. Ultron is ruling Alaska. Marvel Comics painted itself into a literal corner. There's nothing what they can do now than literally planning a soft reboot of sorts. Secret Empire is the Marvel event equivalent of an atomic bomb Clone Saga that literally tarnished Captain America's legacy in Jack Kirby's 100th anniversary. Marvel Comics other than Amazing Spider-Man is literally dead to me right now. Words cannot describe the amount of anger I'm feeling right now. I'm livid. 

That's why I actually avoided this event...1st one I haven't read for Marvel in years...but their last few events had been horrible and rambling, and this one looked like it would top the awfulness of the previous ones...and it seems it did.  

I read that ending and pretty much decided Marvel is going to reboot everything in about 12-24 months...but that will only work if they replace 1/2 the writers/artists/creative visions for their current comics.  If it's all just more "heroes are awful, awful people who fight each other all the time, leading to large death and destruction across the world"...well, I'm gonna stay out...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

That's why I actually avoided this event...1st one I haven't read for Marvel in years...but their last few events had been horrible and rambling, and this one looked like it would top the awfulness of the previous ones...and it seems it did.  

I read that ending and pretty much decided Marvel is going to reboot everything in about 12-24 months...but that will only work if they replace 1/2 the writers/artists/creative visions for their current comics.  If it's all just more "heroes are awful, awful people who fight each other all the time, leading to large death and destruction across the world"...well, I'm gonna stay out...

Edited my post to add some more points and now I need coffee and cigarrettes. Lots. of them. Marvel Comics only path is a complete soft reboot within the next 12 months. They literally don't have an option anymore. It departured so much from "the world outside your window" motto and it was turned into a freaking joke. Expect Marvel Comics sales to keep tanking, and that's bad not just for Marvel Comics, but for DC Comics and the whole industry too. Something has to be done and Alonso, Brevoort and all the others need to be removed as soon as possible. 

• Like 1

There was something very telling about Marvel’s decision this past Monday to announce to The New York Times how its Secret Empire event would end. It felt like the publisher was trying to get ahead of yet more problems coming from the series’ conclusion.

Now that the final issue of its primary series is in stores today, we know that’s right—and how thoroughly Secret Empire failed.

The core concept that Marvel’s blond-haired, blue-eyed living symbol for American patriotism could actually be a sociopathic fascist with a plan to remake the world in his image was a disturbing one, to be sure. But Secret Empire had the potential to become an iconic story about the dangers of blindly buying into a dark, warped form of American exceptionalism that, given enough time, became the base ideology for Hydra’s oppressive, authoritarian society. This potentially powerful story’s importance was only further heightened by the major political events that defined 2016, a year when a literal demagogue with the political acumen of a D-list comic book supervillain managed to become President of the United States.

Marvel insisted that Secret Empire wasn’t meant to be a piece of political commentary, but the series launched at a time when its plot eerily echoed the social and political anxieties plaguing the country. Political or not, Secret Empire had every chance to become the kind of seminal story that defined what a flagship comic book event could be in the 21st century. But by Monday, when Marvel spoiled the ending to its own major comic book event, the writing was already on the wall: Secret Empire was about to end poorly and damage control was necessary. Having read the issue, we can say that calling it a series of predictable, unfortunate, bad events is too charitable.

For those interested on seeing how much Marvel Comics has fallen, there's no need to look further than here:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/what-was-the-point-of-marvels-secret-empire-1798626627

Expect several pieces like that to drop today and upcoming weeks and months, while Marvel Comics miserably bleeds to its now unavoidable death to a soft reboot that will have to ignore what... since Hickman's Secret Wars happened? I don't even know anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iJackSparrow said:

That's why I take offense when you say stuff like Disney / Marvel Studios sanatizes Marvel characters, Cocho. That's completely fat wrong and a lie, and you know better. Marvel Studios understands these characters and what makes them tick, they aren't interested in reinventions of these characters into something edgy just because.

If you read that post of mine, you must have read that I don't mind about the company's big guns being portrayed as they always are. I still think the company totally sanitizes and declaws them, but I understand why.

My post was about how much I'd love to see characters like Satana, Son of Satan, Werewolf By Night, and Gargoyle in an actual horror film. I never said that I wanted marvel to deconstruct them or reinvent them.

I just want them to be surrounded by edgier, more 'adult' settings. It's not a deconstruction...maybe it would be a "natural progression" or whatever you want to call them.

• Like 1

I don't read Marvel but what they're doing in the comics sounds like a trick to have a reboot soon claiming they're bringing back the essence of Marvel. They see it working for DC Rebirth and want to use the same gimmick. Except for DC it was a creative need not a marketing trick.

25 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I don't read Marvel but what they're doing in the comics sounds like a trick to have a reboot soon claiming they're bringing back the essence of Marvel. They see it working for DC Rebirth and want to use the same gimmick. Except for DC it was a creative need not a marketing trick.

Trick? Nah. It's not a trick. It's a fuck up. Marvel Comics sales are tanking and they've been in damage control mode for more than one year now. 

1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

If you read that post of mine, you must have read that I don't mind about the company's big guns being portrayed as they always are. I still think the company totally sanitizes and declaws them, but I understand why.

My post was about how much I'd love to see characters like Satana, Son of Satan, Werewolf By Night, and Gargoyle in an actual horror film. I never said that I wanted marvel to deconstruct them or reinvent them.

I just want them to be surrounded by edgier, more 'adult' settings. It's not a deconstruction...maybe it would be a "natural progression" or whatever you want to call them.

The way I see it, the way that Marvel Studios films work is literally THE SAME of what makes Wonder Woman work. Geoff Johns statement about DC Comics being about hope and optimism and not dark and edgy is something he repeated a lot before Wonder Woman was out. That's not what DC Comics or Marvel Comics are about; that's what the superhero genre as a whole is all about. I don't understand how you can say that what happens in any Marvel Studios films is less "real world" than what happens in Wonder Woman. There's a reason why those films resonate more than others. The DCEU has found its own formula, but its own formula always was a part of the superhero genre. The way I see it, you saying that it's just the fangirl in you, but I'll leave at that. Still beyond pissed at Marvel Comics to have this argument. 

42 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I'm actuallly very much stoked for this. Titans was one of my favorite superhero teams growing up, more so than either Justice League or The Avengers, and I really like the casting choices so far. 

So either Drake Bell didn't get a Nightwing role or he's Nightwing in the DCEU.

If Brenton Thwaites is doing Titans, the budget and production value must be way higher than the CW shows. He's done mostly flops and is not exactly considered a great actor, but still, his status is way above the people doing these tv shows.

The DC streaming service could be a moneyspinner for WB, the animated shows have struggled as Cartoon Network are only really interested in Teen Titans Go! I think they could showcase the backcatalogue alongside new original animated series as well as the odd live action series,

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The DC streaming service could be a moneyspinner for WB, the animated shows have struggled as Cartoon Network are only really interested in Teen Titans Go! I think they could showcase the backcatalogue alongside new original animated series as well as the odd live action series,

The streaming service seems like the best option to make animated shows currently since CN has no interest in action cartoons or anything they don't produce themselves currently. Wouldn't surprise me if they made another Batman cartoon to air on it too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

The streaming service seems like the best option to make animated shows currently since CN has no interest in action cartoons or anything they don't produce themselves currently. Wouldn't surprise me if they made another Batman cartoon to air on it too.

When you consider that CN and WBA are essentially sister companies, it's odd they treat their shows apart from TTG badly. No wonder they set up Boomerang as a streaming service as well as the DC service.

A new Batman series wouldn't surprise me either or maybe a Wonder Woman series.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

I'm actuallly very much stoked for this. Titans was one of my favorite superhero teams growing up, more so than either Justice League or The Avengers, and I really like the casting choices so far. 

I'm pretty stoked by this choice, too...the look in the eyes in that pic is perfect...now here's hoping he can pull off the part:)...

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

When you consider that CN and WBA are essentially sister companies, it's odd they treat their shows apart from TTG badly. No wonder they set up Boomerang as a streaming service as well as the DC service.

A new Batman series wouldn't surprise me either or maybe a Wonder Woman series.

They made be owned by the same company essentially but they're run by different people, so they act differently as a result.

Personally I'd really like to see a new Superman animated series or maybe they could try a second season of that Green Lantern GL if CN's "write-off" of it didn't hurt its chances. 

• Like 1