Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

16 minutes ago, AJG said:

Google Jason Momoa right now.

Thought it was a joke until I did it.  Wow.   He apologized and they mention it (eventually) in the article...but that doesn't help the headline that most people only see.

Once the media smells blood they can go into witchhunt mode.   WB will have to navigate this.

20 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Thought it was a joke until I did it.  Wow.   He apologized and they mention it (eventually) in the article...but that doesn't help the headline that most people only see.

Once the media smells blood they can go into witchhunt mode.   WB will have to navigate this.

Google Evans Renner Black Widow

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Google Evans Renner Black Widow

Not the kind of thing that CNN was covering.   And not nearly the same as a rape joke and abuse allegations in the minds of SJWs in the media.   And of course not something that was being piled unto an existing controversial story.   Ben and Jason are being sucked into a bigger story here.

Which seems to be getting worse with things like this:

Twitter’s suspension of Rose McGowan epitomizes the site's most infuriating problem
It’s a double standard at its most divisive.

Early Thursday, Twitter temporarily suspended the account of actor Rose McGowan, who has become a major figure in the Harvey Weinstein sexual harassment scandal. The resulting backlash from Twitter users was immediate and intense, and illustrates just how contentious Twitter, the corporation, has become for its inconsistency in protecting its users from abuse.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/10/12/16464752/twitter-suspended-rose-mcgowan

34 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

This. I think the media are handling this thing wrong, with the kind of exposure they give to these situations. Like Burr said, you can't look at a kid and make a funny face anymore, people will think you're a sex offender or something.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AndyLL said:

4 articles about it on CNNs front page...0 of the titles mention Affleck much less JL.

This will have zero effect on the JL box office.

I agree it will have little if any impact on JL box office, but will have a huge impact on Warners plans for marketing the film, with Affleck taking a very minimal role. In any press conference with Affleck present, what the hell do you think the reporters are going to ask questions about: Hint:it ain't gonna be the movie.

Welcome to the real world ,different then the fanboy universe.

20 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I'm pretty sure WB is going to want the press to focus on Gal, Momoa, and Ezra in all the upcoming interviews. Wonder if they FINALLY bring out Cavill for the interviews now?

I can't believe how much personal problems have hit JL with Snyder leaving, Whedon cheating scandal, and now this Affleck stuff.

It is FUCKING insane!

It's all Marvel Studios' fault.

They are behind all of this.

Edited by Cochofles

2 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

This. I think the media are handling this thing wrong, with the kind of exposure they give to these situations. Like Burr said, you can't look at a kid and make a funny face anymore, people will think you're a sex offender or something.

Sorry, but opinions like this is why a monster like Weinstein was able to get away with this so long. The light of day is the only way to stop this kind of abuse.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Sorry, but opinions like this is why a monster like Weinstein was able to get away with this so long. The light of day is the only way to stop this kind of abuse.

Yeah, let's be clear about the various situations. I agree they aren't equivalent. Affleck -- by his admission -- sexually harassed someone (and likely more, but officially just one to date). Momoa made a tasteless joke that isn't indicative of anything other than some of the shittier aspects of our culture where that was assumed to be funny.

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

No

Weinstein got away with it because Hollywood covered up for him  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

No

And it was the News business that brought it out..and the poster was saying the news media should not do that. And I suspect that people who cover the film industry knew the rumors but decided not to follow them up, and became sort of accessories to the cover up.

But I maintain that bringing these things into the light of day is the only way to stop them.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Demonizing everyone and everything does NOT work. Public jurys don't work and they don't help.

There's one thing you need to understand. Bigots, sexists, racists and zealots exist everywhere, and it all boils down to being undeducated and/or an idiot.

No self-respecting person can every treat someone else awfully like this. So, education and upbringing is the key.

You see, there's so much wrong in the world, but there's also so much good that we just ignore. And we all focus on the bad.

I will admit that I have not been oppressed in my life and I never faced the racism that my father faced (a black man that lived in Greece during the heights of the greek dictatorship). My opinion may not matter, but his does, and his two cents were that no matter how hard we fight and protest, we'll never achieve nothing, because at the end of the day we're not unified. We just divide and demonise each other, why do we expect things to get better?

Sorry to get too political here, friendly always.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And it was the News business that brought it out..and the poster was saying the news media should not do that. And I suspect that people who cover the film industry knew the rumors but decided not to follow them up, and became sort of accessories to the cover up.

But I maintain that bringing these things into the light of day is the only way to stop them.

Actually, NBC originally sat on the story. So they covered for him as well 

Edited by John Marston

8 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Yeah, let's be clear about the various situations. I agree they aren't equivalent. Affleck -- by his admission -- sexually harassed someone (and likely more, but officially just one to date). Momoa made a tasteless joke that isn't indicative of anything other than some of the shittier aspects of our culture where that was assumed to be funny.

Oh, I agree: Momoa was only guilty of making a tasteless, Terrible joke. Nowhere near what Affleck did, and to our knowledge, what Affleck did was not anywhrer near the number of offenses that Weinstein racked up.

I doubt this will have an impact of Momoa's career. Momoa commited an Infraction, Affleck a Misdemeanour, Weinstein multiple Felonies. (THis was for example only;not intended to be a prediction of the legal consquences in the case)/

Just now, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Moderation:

Guys, we've drifted far astray from the point of this thread. Worthwhile posts to be sure, but let's take it to the appropriate thread for this topic (in The Real World).

Agreed. Problem is, it is going to be hard to discuss the DC films without mentioning the Affleck situation. It should probably be limited to the direct impact that they will have on the DC universe, with the other aspects move to the Real World section.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

No

It is not all clear, but it took probably much more than Hollywood, for one a bit like Fox News, Trump, etc... The Weinstein CO and Harvey are not Hollywood, they are New-York (always have been outside in California a little bit, their office TWC and Dimension are still in NY), it took the NY cops, NY press, NY District attorney, lawyers, accountants, many movie industry like France, Italy, etc...

They story was made by the times now for many reason, and is reduced power reducing the industry covering for him could be one part, but I think the biggest part is how the media and the audience changed on that question.

Just look how the media (and the audience) handled the latest leak on HBO and the celebrities phone versus those 2/3 year's ago, they did it in a much more responsible way's (didn't give them much coverage when any, knowing those exist only because media give them a platform), it could be in general having more money because of Trump era revenues, but also a more conscious how to treat sex crime.

Weinstein got away because no one talked on records, they didn't not for many reason and a big one was fear, fear to never work again and also I would imagine fear of the public opinion court, that it would turn out to be treated has an actress that slept with a director, that it didn't turnet out as well as she thought and now is angry, and that fear of that public reception involved society in general (and how those casting couch rumors were framed by it), not just Hollywood (that is prevalent in most movie industry, not there in particular and I imaigne many others were the stake are big with a big difference between some level with few people in power having keys to those level, talent is not that objective, omerta nature, mostly men, etc...)

• Like 1

WB Standing By ‘Justice League’s Jason Momoa After Apology For Rape Joke

The actor quickly apologized on Instagram last night and we hear that there’s no plans by Warner Bros. to hide Momoa during any upcoming Justice League promotional appearances or interviews due to this incident.

Essentially, Momoa made a joke, and wrote his mea culpa on his own, which we hear studio insiders are standing by.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/jason-momoa-aquaman-rape-joke-apology-justice-league-1202187853/