Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

2 hours ago, LaughingEvans said:

I'm a Johns hater. I hate his comics, with only 1 exception.

He's a powerlevel and high stakes idiot (only writes plot heavy comics and cares only about his pet characters), his comics are just tacky, and I'm talking by cape comics standards.

You didn't like the DC Rebirth special? 

I'm not exactly a fan but I like some of his comics, I think it's above average. A lot of the stuff released is so mediocre, in my opinion.

3 hours ago, DMan7 said:

.  I think DC needs to go back to what works best for them and that is giving directors / writers complete control of their movies and not be bogged down by a pre-existing universe. It has worked wonders for them in the past with '78 Superman movies, Burton Batman and the Nolan Batman. Stick to what works. 

And it did not work well  for them with Zack Snyder.

The profits to be made from an MCU style universe are simply too tempting,particualry if you own the other big name in comics. The problem was not the idea of a DC Connected Universe,but that if was badly executed.

The whole auteur theory does not work well with big budget movie franchises. If you don't get the difference between making a movie in a popular franchise, and making a small personal film, you really should not be taken seriously when it comes to talking about movies.

Edited by dudalb

Just now, dudalb said:

And it failed badly for them with Zack Snyder.

The profits to be made from an MCU style universe are simply too tempting. The problem was not the idea of a DC Connected Universe,but that if was badly executed.

It's easier to do individual movies than a shared connected universe of movies. What has worked for the MCU was catching lightning in a bottle which might never happen again for any other studio with the whole connected universe aspect. Also if the individual movies fail it only affects that individual movie and will not affect upcoming movies in entire movie universe. I should've added good directors, give good directors complete control, Snyder has had a spotty record directing movies before getting the gig in Man of Steel which turned out rotten on RT and they doubled down on him to direct BvS. 

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

The profits to be made from an MCU style universe are simply too tempting. The problem was not the idea of a DC Connected Universe, but that if was badly executed.

I think the loosely connected approach is the way forward, much like they've done with Conjuring and MonsterVerse.

3 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Problem is - Nolan is one in a million. You give some auteur director full control of a franchise and you usually do not get TDK trilogy.. it's usually more like a mess that the studio then tries to fix but somehow makes worse or a film that pleases critics but pisses off half the fanbase like Rian Johnson.

Also that means saying bye bye to sweet ass Avengers money cause a fully creative director is not going to mess as well with the team-up stuff they seem to want to get in on.

Although over all I liked TLJ and hated BvS, the movies are similkair in that they were superdivisive  and split the fanbase.

Thought I don't think Johnson ever controlled the SW franchise the way that Snyder was controlling the DCU.

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think the loosely connected approach is the way forward, much like they've done with Conjuring and MonsterVerse.

Oh, I agree DC needs  to concentrate on good individual films...which is what Marvel did in the early days. DC mistake was in trying to rush the process,to force an interconnected universe without doing the groundwork. They got greedy for Avengers level profits,and tried to rush the JL movie. If backfired.

But they shoud keep the possibity of a eventual JL reboot open. If you have a bunch of auteurs producing films that are incompatible with each other,you got problems.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Oh, I agree DC needs  to concentrate on good individual films...which is what Marvel did in the early days. DC mistake was in trying to rush the process,to force an interconnected universe without doing the groundwork. They got greedy for Avengers level profits,and tried to rush the JL movie. If backfired.

But they shoud keep the possibity of a eventual JL reboot open. If you have a bunch of auteurs producing films that are incompatible with each other,you got problems.

I'm sure they're open to a crossover film but maybe not brand it as a Justice League film 

Look at this point they already blew it on Justice League and they can never rebuild that kind of hype again cause the wad's been blown. So I think their best bet now is just to make individual movies good with some vague connectivity but not overly rely on it, cause I don't think there should be any concerted effort to re-build up to another Justice League. The Marvel approach is out the window for them so don't even bother.

3 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Problem is - Nolan is one in a million. You give some auteur director full control of a franchise and you usually do not get TDK trilogy.. it's usually more like a mess that the studio then tries to fix but somehow makes worse or a film that pleases critics but pisses off half the fanbase like Rian Johnson.

I kind of doubt they were giving full control (for the first one at least in case of Nolan) on that type of movie.

I would imagine they still have a quite defined sandbox (and not just the contractually obligated MPAA rating and running time), about toys department requirement, what the property important hero cannot be shown doing, lot of imposed cast, were the movie must left in term of sequels possibility and so on. At least Last Jedi was screaming loudly all of those very close sandbox and list of checkbox they would ask him to do.

Even Ridley Scott on is own Alien Franchise that he co-produce with is company has to fight with young studio exec. all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I kind of doubt they were giving full control (for the first one at least in case of Nolan) on that type of movie.

I would imagine they still have a quite defined sandbox (and not just the contractually obligated MPAA rating and running time), about toys department requirement, what the property important hero cannot be shown doing, lot of imposed cast, were the movie must left in term of sequels possibility and so on. At least Last Jedi was screaming loudly all of those very close sandbox and list of checkbox they would ask him to do.

Even Ridley Scott on is own Alien Franchise that he co-produce with is company has to fight with young studio exec. all the time.

After Dunkirk and Interstellar, I think Nolan is better served working under constraints, his best movies (Inception, BB, TDK, The Prestige) came before he was basically given full control over his movies. Dunkirk felt a bit wanky, and Interstellar had Nolan's worst excesses. Oh and let's forget TDKR ever happened.

HUGE fan of Nolan, btw. He's like a mini-James Cameron, what he lacks in quality he makes up for in producing more than one movie every 12 years.

45 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

He's talking about how good they are at making Batman movies... at least I hope so, because I can't think of any other metrics. 

Jim's batman would be unreal, let's stick to number of batman movies made as the metric.

• Haha 1

AT&T-Time Warner Merger Approved

“Depending on what (if any) conditions are imposed or the scope of the ruling, this decision could serve as a “green light” for other potential M&A, including Comcast’s ongoing pursuit of Fox (although regulatory obstacles could be more challenging given Comcast’s NBC ownership),” predicted UBS’s John Hodulik.

Comcast to buy FOX/Avatar? :apocalypse: