Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Man of Steel (2013) - $668.0m

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) - $873.6m

Suicide Squad (2016) - $746.8m

Wonder Woman (2017) - $821.8m

Aquaman (2018) - $940.7m

That's such an incredible start for a franchise. Zack Snyder is a genius. :worthy:

If WB can figure out how to release 2-3 movies a year with consistent quality they'll have a gold mine.

13 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Aquaman (2018) - $940.7m

That's such an incredible start for a franchise. Zack Snyder is a genius. :worthy:

If WB can figure out how to release 2-3 movies a year with consistent quality they'll have a gold mine.

Can't help but feel like you're missing a movie there.

17 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Aquaman (2018) - $940.7m

Dude...just be a man and include JUSTICE LEAGUE.

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Can't wait for the first second A2 comes out so that Avatar can officially be the highest grossing per movie franchise of all time. $1.4B average without the second even making a dime. :Gaga:

At least Wikipedia would disagree with you there. It lists the Avengers movie as its own series inside the MCU and the Avengers films have an average of $1,657,642,277

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Aquaman (2018) - $940.7m

Patty Jenkins amd James Wan are the geniuses! Snyder nearly destroyed DC as a franchise.

14 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Perhaps one day Wan can join Jim in the only film-maker to make two $2b films that aren't part of the same franchise.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Perhaps one day Wan can join Jim in the only film-maker to make two $2b films that aren't part of the same franchise. 

Or, perhaps even more impressively, two $1B movies that are not "franchises" at all.

But it is far more difficult now for a director to get a big budget for an original film; Wan is one of the few who definitely should get the chance.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Or, perhaps even more impressively, two $1B movies that are not "franchises" at all.

But it is far more difficult now for a director to get a big budget for an original film; Wan is one of the few who definitely should get the chance.

Look at the films above $1b, it's sad really.

You say it's more difficult now but's never been done except for Jim, Frozen (had Disney Princess power) and Zootopia.

I don't see why it should be any harder to do now, it's just less likely to see because the big budgets are going to sequels and remakes.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Look at the films above $1b, it's sad really.

You say it's more difficult now but's never been done except for Jim, Frozen (had Disney Princess power) and Zootopia.

I don't see why it should be any harder to do now, it's just less likely to see because the big budgets are going to sequels and remakes.

It is not necessarily harder to reach 1B now for an original movie than in the 90s, no one was doing it back then.

But today for one, arguably they have bigger competition from the 200m-450m budget franchise entry releasing at the best release date and for the studio that own good one, putting money into those is probably way less scary than choosing to go on something else and the best studio at selling movies worldwide tend to have nice franchise to spend money on right now.

Try reaching 1B during an holiday season when you compete with an Avatar 2 or a summer against some Marvel affair that is outspending you and getting much more product placement sponsors everywhere.

Edited by Barnack

36 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

With inflation it is actually much easier to reach $1B than when Cameron directed Titanic. The more difficult part for a director, like I said, is to get a big budget for an original movie to even try. Hollywood being addicted to sequels and franchises is part of the problem. And it also means that Wan could get a huge paycheck to make any franchise film (and even more for an Aquaman 2) instead of a personal project.

To be fair to Snyder WB wanted that "no familes allowed" dark n gritty nonsense tone. They just didn't realize that very few directors can pull that off. Only Nolan and Mangold have pulled it off. Josh Trank failed and so did Marc Webb. Snyder tried and I know that he wanted to make a great film but he just doesn't have the skill as a storyteller to pull off a grim n gritty Superhero epic. I've said for years that Jenkins and Wan were the smartest hires. I think Shazam will work too. For the first time since I saw that abomination that was BvS in March 3 years ago, I have true hope. 

For all the dark and gritty tone wanted by Nolan, Why people forget so often how funny The Joker is in The Dark Knight ?

Yup, you read me correct The Dark knight has a lot of jokes and is quite funny.

If the action mostly happened  in daylight it wouldn't be that far from an MCU movie.

Edited by The Futurist

11 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

For all the dark and gritty tone wanted by Nolan, Why people forget so often how funny The Joker is in The Dark Knight ?

Yup, you read me correct The Dark knight has a lot of jokes and is quite funny.

If the action mostly happened  in daylight it wouldn't be that far from an MCU movie.

This goes as far back as Begins, to be frank. Refer to the bat tank scene as he's trying to rush Rachel to the cave. Nolan didn't take this as seriously as he gets credited for or there's plenty of unintented hilarity afoot that isn't as prevalent in his other movies, but folks continue to lap up the general bent as being "dark", "gritty"..."realistic". Logan definitely comes across more intentional in all the character-based humor injected. Both of which express levity as something that is more spread across rather than solely on the words of loony bussiness man, snarky butler & dismissive editor-in-chief.