grim22

Ocean's Eight | June 8, 2018 | WB | Gary Ross directing, Bullock, Blanchett, Hathaway, Rihanna, Bonham Carter, Kaling, Paulson and Awkwafina. Social Media Embargo up

19 hours ago, Hathawayfan said:

This movie is coming out in perfect timing. With the me too campaign, audiences demanding diversity on the big screen, people demanding actresses to play more leading roles than supporting. Very relevant with current social movements. With all that being said, I predict falling a bit short opening weekend at 37 million. I feel like it will have strong word of mouth and that will lead in having strong legs throughout its theatrical run. 

I think it will do well, but I have seen lots of films with "perfect timing" flop at the box office.

Most people go to the movies to be entertained, not to support a social cause.

They really pushed "A Wrinkle In Time" because of it's "relevalance" (multi ethnic cast, first 100 Million dollar film by a black woman director ) and it flopped badly because it simple did not look good to audiences.

Ocean's 8 looka like it will be entertaining "Heist" film and has a cast britstling with big names,and that will be the main reasons it does well.

Edited by dudalb

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think WB is confident the film will do well as there are screenings on the Wednesday before release at AMC theaters,  

Oh, I think it will do very well, just not sure the reason will be because of politics.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

I suspect there will be a few cameos (George Clooney seems a natural since Bullock is his sister)...

Danny Ocean turning up at the end would be the biggest non-surprise ever, they are not fooling anyone if they trying to say that he's dead. I believe Matt Damon and Carl Reiner have cameos. 

24 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Oh, I think it will do very well, just not sure the reason will be because of politics.

I'm not saying the movie will do well because of politics, but I know a lot of female activists who seem genuinely attracted to it because of female empowerment. The film itself isn't exploring any social movements.  

25 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Danny Ocean turning up at the end would be the biggest non-surprise ever, they are not fooling anyone if they trying to say that he's dead. I believe Matt Damon and Carl Reiner have cameos. 

Matt cameo was confirmed months ago. He stopped talking about it, once his association with Weinstein came to light and went into hiding.

9 minutes ago, Hathawayfan said:

Matt cameo was confirmed months ago. He stopped talking about it, once his association with Weinstein came to light and went into hiding.

yet his Thor Ragnorok and 

Spoiler

Deadpool 2

cameos weren't cut

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

I think it will do well, but I have seen lots of films with "perfect timing" flop at the box office.

Most people go to the movies to be entertained, not to support a social cause.

They really pushed "A Wrinkle In Time" because of it's "relevalance" (multi ethnic cast, first 100 Million dollar film by a black woman director ) and it flopped badly because it simple did not look good to audiences.

Even if say Detroit would have been closer to the manifestation would it have made more.... Like you said if it is too close it could even push people away.

I think we would hard pressed to find example of movie social relevance timing having big impact on it's box office.

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

It's an ensemble film. lot's of muscle aside from Bullock. It's not a Bullock vehical.

That and one of the biggest movie franchise + comedy genre + heist genre, there is certainly at least 4 other non Bullock factor helping it performance, not including the giant studio release marketing.and the massive over 4,000 theater count.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

That and one of the biggest movie franchise + comedy genre + heist genre, there is certainly at least 4 other non Bullock factor helping it performance, not including the giant studio release marketing.

Sandra is great at comedy, but based on early reactions her performance is the least talked about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

no reviews, bad sign

FTR, the review embargo doesn't lift until midnight tonight. Not sure if it's midnight eastern or pacific, though.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

FTR, the review embargo doesn't lift until midnight tonight. Not sure if it's midnight eastern or pacific, though.

I'm gonna assume midnight eastern ie right after the premiere. Similar to Deadpool 2. 

I wouldnt worry about the reviews to be honest since the social media embargo was already lifted. It's also like DP2 where they're waiting till after the premiere to drop the review embargo but allowed a social media embargo to be up. 

2 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

no reviews, bad sign

With Warner Brother it is not an easy call, Game Night I think also released it's embargo only 2 days before release recently, well a long list of well received movie from them got those extreme late embargo.

Not a good sign for sure too, just not obligatory a bad one because of the studio.

• Like 2