grim22

Ocean's Eight | June 8, 2018 | WB | Gary Ross directing, Bullock, Blanchett, Hathaway, Rihanna, Bonham Carter, Kaling, Paulson and Awkwafina. Social Media Embargo up

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Cate Blanchett is like a virtuoso mostly incapable of producing any emotion.

The notes are played absolutely perfectly but the humanity and the emotion aren't there, most of the time.

Shes  like the anti Juliane Moore.

Oh my lord look at this hate.

Beloved, when was the last time your fave was in a good movie that made money??? 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Cate Blanchett is like a virtuoso mostly incapable of producing any emotion.

The notes are played absolutely perfectly but the humanity and the emotion aren't there, most of the time.

Interesting. I have never thought about it, but now that you mention it i can see it.

She's kinda cold actor. Not very warm, welcoming.

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The shtick is getting old.

Nah.

I hate Futurist's usual snark, but I agree with him in this respect.

Blanchett is still the kind of show-offy ACTRESS-WITH-A-CAPITAL-A that constantly generates the kind of scenery-chewing sparks that impress easily impressionable theatre aficionados and snobby film critics, but leave audiences cold.

She may be a fantastic technical actress, but emotionally, she is as warm as a piece of frozen balsa wood.

Just my opinion, but whatever.

13 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

I feel like some people haven't seen Blue Jasmine.

Or Carol. Or I'm Not There. 

I find it funny that people agree that they don't like her but still contradict each other about why. Either there's no emotion there or there's too much I don't even understand.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

I feel like some people haven't seen Blue Jasmine.

I saw it. Carol too. Both awful examples of why I don't care for her acting

Scenery-chewing is not the same as emanating genuine emotion.

I don't understand why people think that "BIG" acting flourishes equals actual good acting.

To each their own, I guess.

Scenery-chewing has nothing to do with it.

She s way too much in control, everything she is doing is calculated, repeated, prepared with so much detail, her body language, he voice inflections, her speech patterns, you can feel she knows the timing of when to twirl an eye lash in nano seconds.

You could say I just described what it is to be an actor and yet, I watch a Julianne Moore scene and I see no technique, just a character, same with Jlaw for that matter in her best moments, these actresses have the ability to just be on the moment and you feel it, it gets you.

With Cate, it just feels cold 90% of the time and in Carol, the heart of the movie had more to do with Rooney Mara IMO.

But Cate was great in Carol, yes, one of my favourites of hers.

Edited by The Futurist

On 31/05/2018 at 2:57 AM, StevenG said:

I saw it. Carol too. Both awful examples of why I don't care for her acting

Scenery-chewing is not the same as emanating genuine emotion.

I don't understand why people think that "BIG" acting flourishes equals actual good acting.

To each their own, I guess.

On 31/05/2018 at 3:01 AM, Jake Gittes said:

Blanchett does no scenery-chewing in Carol. Literally has just one major emotional scene near the end and it's one the whole film carefully builds up to. 

I was just about to say, there isn’t any scenery chewing in Carol.

There is in Blue Jasmine, but people like that are very overbearing and needy. It’s appropriate. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MovieGuyKyle17 said:

Read on google, that this movie cost 70m to make. That's a big budget. I don't know if it will make all of it back. 

For a franchise movie with that cast that can play worldwide if true it would be really responsible and really safe. Ocean 12 was rumored to be 145m 2018 dollar (110 back in the days) for example.

It is not too far from The Magnificent Seven remake (I guess the closest recent comparable assemble movie but with clear leader star wise a remake of a legendary movie with a legendary cast), that was made for 107m gross around 75 to 85m net. Difference is this will play oversea unlike a Denzel western.

according to Sony early estimate at a 75-80m budget with a 75m P&A, Magnificant 7 needed to do 160m ww to make a small profit of around 5 to 10m, and 220m to be a good financial return, the cast was getting a lot of the profit to themselve, that why you need to go quite above the doubling the budget at the box office thing, probably similar with that cast.

Also because it was limited to the older male audience (and domestic heavy only once Liam Neeson was not involve anymore), the maximum it could achieve was quite low, probably under the best scenario around 200m, while this ceiling is maybe something close to devil wear prada adjusted or something like that.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Somehow, despite being an enormous fan of Carol - it nearly took Best Picture on my personal 2015 ballot - I just now realized that this film is the reunion between Cate Blanchett and the chronically underrated Sarah Paulson. *squee!*

Mummy released this weekend last : 31.7 ow, 80.2 dom = 2.53x

I think 35*2.7 = 94.5 is around the least O8 will do. If it has positive wom then 40 ow/120 dom.

No clue about the OS prospects but if it does sub-200 ww (don't think it's getting released in China) is a sequel feasible?

Edited by A2k Rex
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, A2k Rex said:

is a sequel feasible?

Bullock is not necessarily easy to sell a sequel on. Apparently, I think Paul Feig said this about a Heat 2 project potential, after Speed 2 and Miss Congeniality 2 she has a strong non sequel rules, even about reading sequel script.

I would imagine that could have changed specially when getting in a established franchise like this (I think it is a first for her), but I would also imagine she is not locked to say yes to anything and that if she need her to return nothing would be set in stone in advance.

If it does under 200m WW I would imagine it would depend on the breakdown domestic/intl, reception, willingness to people to return because it would be borderline, but Jack Reacher got a 96m gross budget sequel after that 80m dbo/138m intl performance recently.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2