grim22

Ocean's Eight | June 8, 2018 | WB | Gary Ross directing, Bullock, Blanchett, Hathaway, Rihanna, Bonham Carter, Kaling, Paulson and Awkwafina. Social Media Embargo up

14 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

A "sleeper hit" with that cast and that brand name?

Not my wording, and Manabyte does largely trade in CBM, SW, and other nerd/geek properties, so complain to him, not me. :lol:

Even so, I think it's been kinda-sorta overlooked to some degree about films that could break out thanks to IW, Solo, DP2, Inc 2 and JW2 all coming out within that area of time (though IW moving almost entirely moves it out of the discussion).  Not that it should expect to compete at that level since even Ocean's 11 doesn't adjust to 300m DOM (294.4m adj).

But even ignoring the obvious counter-programming angle, I do agree that it has a lot of star power attached to it and the "Ocean's" name has a lot going for it.  

Now would a 200m to 250m DOM run qualify as a "sleeper hit"?  Probably not, since the Ocean's name is well known (though it would mean a significant jump over Ocean's 13 adj figure of 156.3m). 

But if it does do 200m+, it'll be doing it in the teeth of a LOT of competition.  Though none of it direct competition.  That might be more or less where Manabyte was coming from, though you'd have to ask him just what he meant by it. :)

• Like 1

To put it a different way, @TalismanRing, the reason why I posted that tweet was to highlight/piggyback grim's post about buzz coming out of the test screenings for Ocean's 8.

If it is well received and gets a lot of positive WOM, it is an obvious counter-program to the all of those other films I mentioned in my last post, and therefore could have a nice long leggy run. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I’ll be curious to find out what the budget is, Ocean’s Eleven cost $85m in 2001 so I imagine it’s likely 8 will have a similar budget. 

This article from THR back in 2016 claims it was around 70m.  Whether that's accurate or not, or it inflated over time as these things tend to happen, I have no idea.

Edited by Porthos

55 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

this will easily do 150M+ dom. It's a great counterprogramming to blockbusters in June (Incredibles 2 , Jurassic World) 

Feel like a safe hit yes, I bit like Murder on the Orient express felt like one last year, but probably more domestic sided this time.

The heist seems kinda dull

But Anne as the stuck up woman everybody projects her as and the trailer does a better job of establishing that it's not a strict reboot, directly referencing Danny Ocean as a sibling.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

Energy and charisma free. That's what made the Danny Ocean movies work, and this just doesn't project that.

If this trailer represents the movie, it's a flop. 

We've gotten a lot of lackluster trailers in the last year. Did all the trailer people quit or something?