WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg49): Mockingjay 101M | Spectre 14.6M | Night Before 10.1M | SITE 6.63M

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I agree. Mods are way too rigid here. This is great example of something going wrong. A franchise from 425m peak 2 years back to possible mid 200's finish. OW that dropped 35% from CF. This despite all fan reviews of trailers being "out of the world".

I think this just showed us, lot of casual viewers checked out THG compared to Potter and Twilight. As much crap Twilight takes, it was crazy consistent from 2-5. 

Edited by druv10
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

You know....if LG would have wanted MJ2 to open higher....they should have released it in the beginning of March this year.

I didn't actually get why the HG sequels were released in November and not in March...like the first one?

They wanted to put the Divergent movies in March.

31 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

You know....if LG would have wanted MJ2 to open higher....they should have released it in the beginning of March this year.

I didn't actually get why the HG sequels were released in November and not in March...like the first one?

yeah, that's why Catching Fire did so poorly on this weekend two years ago. :rolleyes:

52 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I agree. Mods are way too rigid here. This is great example of something going wrong. A franchise from 425m peak 2 years back to possible mid 200's finish. OW that dropped 35% from CF. This despite all fan reviews of trailers being "out of the world".

So we're too rigid here?  Nice.

What's the point of having a thread for a film that has been dropping since the second one?  It can easily be discussed in the main thread.  And how exactly are we too rigid, keyser?  We closed a thread that had no business being started in the  first place.  And if you disagree with the decision to close it, talk to tele or WB.

If you guys think one should be open, even after two separate  mods on two separate occasions locked it, then take it up with tele and WB.  I'm just doing what I feel is right.  If you disagree with that decision, then that's okay with me.  

• Like 1

Just now, John Marston said:

yeah, that's why Catching Fire did so poorly on this weekend two years ago. :rolleyes:

Catching Fire did great with $424M DOM and $865M WW. Nothing wrong with that.

But i think CF could have done either the same or more if it was released in a quieter March than in a crowded November.

2 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Yeah......true.

But why the Divergent-flicks? Why not the HG-sequels? They could have still done huge in those March-releases 2013-2015.

My guess: (1) They wanted to "rule" two different release periods each year, and (2) November kicks off "big movie" time and even though they wanted Divergent to be their Next Big Thing, Junior, no way those movies would have held their own in November. Better to put the Hunger Games sequels there, as the first movie proved this franchise could be that "big movie" in November.

The Nov release date is a prime calendar placement. Twilight ending gave them the opportunity to move and they took it and excelled with CF.  The lower box office for MJ1 & 2  has to do with the films themselves and not the Nov opening.  One might as well say the November opening hurt Spectre when it was fantastic for Skyfall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

is MJ2 expected to go under 100m for the weekend? To be fair, the estimated drops don't seem unreasonable

I read an article yesterday that said most industry insiders think it'll be closer to $102.5 when the actuals come out. 

2 hours ago, druv10 said:

Interesting, a 2nd WWW thread was locked for MJ2. It's looking at 40-45% drop in admissions from CF and 36% drop in gross on OW. If it doesn't need a WWW thread, no movie going forward deserves one. 

The expectations for the series were all over the place coming in, easy to argue a WWW isn't necessary for a 2nd part in a film that made LGF a lot of $.

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

The Nov release date is a prime calendar placement. Twilight ending gave them the opportunity to move and they took it and excelled with CF.  The lower box office for MJ1 & 2  has to do with the films themselves and not the Nov opening.  One might as well say the November opening hurt Spectre when it was fantastic for Skyfall.

The pre Thanksgiving weekend specifically gives the immediacy of the big opening weekend while taking advantage of the 5 day weekend afterwards to extend the legs a bit.  Plus, if a film holds on long enough, it will get a bit of those delicious holiday weekdays.

That's how Catching Fire did nearly $300 million in 10 days, outgrossing films that opened at a similar level, but lacked the benefit of a holiday weekend.