grim22

Weekend #s. MJ2 51.6/75.7M, TGD 39.2/55.6M lowest Pixar opening since Bugs Life, Creed 30/42M biggest OW for a boxing movie

7 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

Haven't been following the numbers very much lately (getting married and having a kid almost immediately is life consuming) but how are the Creed numbers?

I'm really rooting for that movie because I'm a big MBJ and Rocky fan.

Fantastic numbers for Creed. ;)

Edit: Congratulations! :D

Edited by picores
  • Like 1

The people I have talked to about TGD outside of the forums aren't looking at it like a Pixar/Disney/DreamWorks animate film, but more as something like Planes.  I don't think that the film is getting Pixar's usual crossover appeal, and could be losing even the older end of the target audience on this one.

3 hours ago, fmpro said:

Deadlines 5 day cume for Creed are off. As of friday if the numbers is 27,3 after a 11,2 mill friday the 5 day will be in the 42-43 mill minimum and could go as high as 45 mill when WOM is this strong

27m is the 3 day WE estimate.  First 3 days is 23.7m. 

Could still get into low 40s if actual is higher, but the weekend is almost never more than 2.5x friday. Lets see how WOM kicks in today

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Basically this entire weekend will be:

Great for Creed

Bad for TGD

LOL FRANKENSTEIN 

Terrible release date. I am not sure what FOX was trying to do. They should have tried a Dracula Untold in mid October.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Terrible release date. I am not sure what FOX was trying to do. They should have tried a Dracula Untold in mid October.

Ever since that release date swap Fox knew they had a bomb on their hands. It would have done bad on any date.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, a2knet said:

With these estimates TGD will be a little over 14m behind Tangled. Can't see how it can make up that difference. Will be something if it falls short of Cars 2. I don't think many expected that.

It could fall short of A Bug's Life.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I think TGD underperforming might give Disney a reason to cut costs at Pixar at least for original films. 

Didn't seem very "original" to me from the advertising. Inside Out was "original" relax. 

I did find the ad push at the end confusing, seems like the timing of this release is what hurt it the most.

15 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Didn't seem very "original" to me from the advertising. Inside Out was "original" relax. 

I did find the ad push at the end confusing, seems like the timing of this release is what hurt it the most.

What release date would have been better according to you? Disney created some distance between TGD and both, Peanuts and SW7 + Alvin weekend.

I feel more than the release date the marketing was lighter and not worthy of a 200m budgeted Pixar film.

• Like 1

Consider the $20m+ 3-day weekends over Thanksgiving since 2000. Only two have made it over a 5x multiplier, namely Frozen (which was a WOM juggernaut in a dearth of competition) and Life of Pi (which had huge Oscar buzz giving it a boost) - TGD doesn't look to have enough to be among these films, so $200m may be out of reach, sadly.

Pixar really makes it look like the just wanted to get this out ASAP, or that the Disney marketing machine was so excited about Star Wars they just kind of forgot this movie existed.