#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

13 hours ago, junkshop36 said:

With a 220m OW it needs a 3.46x to beat Avatar. That's right in the holiday legs wheelhouse. It's going passed Avatar.

For some reason I couldn't remove that quote box by Hatebox from my post. What's in there is what I typed, not him.

Hover the pointer over the box, tick any part of it except the area where the quoted message is (you will know you tick it properly when it's border turns sky blue) then press backspace/delete. The quote box will be removed.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, cory said:

For the record the previous record for the Saturday before Christmas is ROTK's 27.5m (the December Saturday record is IAL's 28.8)

It adjusts to around $60m today.

additional data see beneath (to add to your details)

7 hours ago, sfran43 said:

Sweet Jesus, the drama!!! As a retail manager, I can tell you guys, most people were at the mall/dept stores buying last minute gifts. Traffic everywhere here in Athens/ATL area is/was beyond horrid due to everyone's late shopping trend. I also went to several Cinemas and asked about attendance, They said traffic there was busy, but not overflowing. However, they had a lot of calls for people who wanted to reserve seats for SW 7-10pm showing (as of 5:15, most theaters were sold out of 7-10pm showing). I mean, this is THE LAST WEEKEND for most ppl to go shopping before Christmas. And a lot of people still have to go back to work Monday thru Thursday. 

Agree, I think way too many people here underestimate that

7 hours ago, babz06 said:

I was shopping today  at Macy's and it was a madhouse. Definitely think the travel/shopping is taking a chunk out of the weekend business. Fortunately, people like to go the movies after Christmas, so stop the doom and gloom. 

added as an example for the Saturday before X-Mas situation

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

LOL so this is Potter-level frontloaded. How completely not shocking.

I mean, is anyone actually surprised by this? This thing was always going to be insanely frontloaded. This isn't a typical December release, nobody is holding off until next weekend to see it to complete their shopping.

If seriously meant = I think that is wrong

5 hours ago, DarthArachnid!™ said:

Hindsight is 20/20 but it seems we may have underestimated the impact of these marathon/previews. But also we need to consider the need of a lot of fans to be able to say they saw it opening DAY(which obviously includes Friday proper). Add to that Super Saturday shoppers plus inhospitably cold weather in parts of the country and 60m is more impressive to me than 69m in the Summer movie season. 

This will easily break the second weekend record next week. Easily. 

Keep Calm and Let the Force be with You. :father:

Agree

5 hours ago, mepal1 said:

Apart from America, as per usual its us Brits who are turning out in force to see SW7, and the UK take for the film this weekend is gonna be galactic, and far higher than any other of the International markets, playing at this point.

Currently SW7 Sat gross in North America will not be a record, and is likely to be only the 4th highest Sat BO take.

'only'? Saturday before X-Mas in the US is not compareable to the UK IMHO (and Sunday even less)

See beneath for some datas maybe being able to show you what a result like that really means

5 hours ago, mepal1 said:

Don't forget next weekend there are some other new big films coming out over the Xmas hol, that will take business away from SW7, and also the fact that by then a large percentage of the Star Wars kids, would of seen the film. Anyway SW7 is still going to accumulate a Death Star sized BO gross.

You are aware about nearly all users here know not only the next weekends main releases, but also a few more weekends into the fututre óut of their heads? Some even parts or more of the smaller releases?

Pfft, 'Kids' I am guessing you didn't bother to read even all the quoted parts out of articles even in this thread or at their sources?

2 hours ago, Asyulus said:

Ouch for that Saturday number, I was expecting like 100+.

Could be a great weekend thread if not for that Sat number.

I am really hoping you are joking, if not = fail

2 hours ago, Elessar said:

Why should it drop over 20% on Sunday? Plenty of people have Monday off, evening shows will be fuller than usual, plus spillover. Look at all the huge openers, Sundays are pretty much always good. Around -15% i say.

In case you forgot ( I think you know that usually) Sunday in the US are not to compare with our country, especially not Sunday before X-Mas. Unlike ours, their stores are open.

TOP SINGLE DAY GROSSES BY DAY OF THE WEEK - Saturday before X-Mas = OW

Hobbit 3 = $21,397,014
King Kong = $20,105,680

In the top 325 there are not even listed any other Saturday's for at the weekend released before X-Mas movie titles (for me = 24. Dec.)

Highest Saturday's top 12
Jurassic World = $69,644,830     June
Avengers 1 = $69,557,990     May
Iron Man 3 = $62,273,218     May
Avengers 2 =  $56,526,635    May
HG Catching Fire = $52,619,106     Nov.
Spider-Man 3 = $51,336,732     May
Hunger Games = $50,394,419    March
The Dark Knight = $47,650,240     July
Shrek 3 = $47,077,497        May    
Furious 7 = $46,626,580     April
Iron Man 2 = $45,776,170    May
Dark Knight Rises = $44,931,966 July

I am Legend (not the Saturday before X-Mas, but December record holder) is on #71   

LotR Return of the King is on #82
Hobbit 3 is on #155
King Kong is on #183

Edited by terrestrial
meaning changing grammar mistake
  • Like 1

Big big day today here for SW. It may actually be SW biggest day. Also, the new theatres built by the main theatre chain in key cities are striving. I expect one of the biggest OW's ever. The number of showtimes this gets is insane, even though the number of sellouts is not out of this world.

I hope it does very well. We had a very good year. 2015 is already the biggest year ever in admissions, local currency and Euros, but for now it is a bit behind 2014 in USD because of the exchange rate (-4 or 5%). The last two weekends of the year and the first weekend of the new year are ALWAYS the biggest for cinema business.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-J100H folosind Tapatalk

• Like 3

Trailers that played during my showing

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

5th Wave

Kung Fu Panda

Zootopia

Independence Day

X-Men

Civil War

There was a 8th trailer that played first but  I can't remember so obviously it wasn't that memorable and I'm looking at the release schedule up and down and finally I just figured out it was Warcraft.

Every time the green preview screen came up there were audible groans from the audience.

The only one that got  a reaction was Zootopia so that should do good. Looks funny.

Trailers that played during my showing

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

5th Wave

Kung Fu Panda

Zootopia

Independence Day

X-Men

Civil War

There was a 8th trailer that played first but  I can't remember so obviously it wasn't that memorable and I'm looking at the release schedule up and down and finally I just figured out it was Warcraft.

Every time the green preview screen came up there were audible groans from the audience.

The only one that got  a reaction was Zootopia so that should do good. Looks funny.

No FB trailer?? If I dont get my FB trailet tomorrow I'm gonna riot.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-J100H folosind Tapatalk

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

My co-worker told me what happened to him tonight. This older woman (I guess not older, maybe in her 40's) was looking at the descriptions of all our movies and he asked her if she needed help.

"do you have any adult movies playing this evening?"

"well, I just saw In the Heart of the Sea and it's pretty dark and mature"

"no no no I mean, ADULT films"

"..."

"..."

"... We don't play those here."

:sarah:

6 minutes ago, Rth said:

lets go for 68-69

8 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Please guys I don't have time to read all the pages of the last 14 hours..Can you tell me if 66-69 SAT is a good number? Thanks :)

OK I guess it's fantastic :D 230m is certain now and 250m is possible.

This OW will hold for a very longtime!

I think it's obvious....

If this opened on any other weekend Sat record would have gotten obliterated.

The fact it's near record highs after burning so mich demand and other factors shows this is indeed heading for a a great run.

Sat was huge here only Ta/jw was bigger or Sm3 I say.

• Like 1